Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:26   #1
Grayson

GO Grocery Outlet - posted

I stopped by a local GO Grocery Outlet here in WNC for the first time in a while, and saw the "gun with a red slash through it" sticker by the door. I called the manager this morining to speak to him about it, and he promptly referred me "up the ladder" to corporate since he has no authority to change it.

I called 828-684-1992 and asked to speak to someone about it. The 'someone' must be a Ms. Joyce Buchanan, who's voicemail I got. I left her a quick message and my number to reach me back.

She called back a few hours later. The greatest orator I am NOT, but I had 3 main points:

-Bad for business, especially here in 'gun country!' Some gun owners/carriers just don't care. BUT people like me feel more than a bit insulted at being told "we don't serve YOUR KIND here," and there are MANY other places to spend our money.

-Liability. A "no gun" sign may as well read "ROB ME - what's the WORST that could happen? Certianly not a fatal gunshot!" If *I* were a bad guy (with a brain cell left), as more and more people are exercising their right to get a carry permit, places that are posted would be my ONLY targets! And if a loved one was hurt in a robbery there, I would certianly consider all possible legal actions against the store for posting that sign.

-How CCW holders are held to a higher standard than other people...NO starting fights or using your gun to deal with anything but a direct threat to life. As anticcw.com puts it "I've never been convicted of a felony, my fingerprints (and often picture) are on file with the Government, I've passed a background check clean. Now what do you know about your OTHER customers????"

D'OH...forgot this one:

-Finally, this business is the only place besides Chick-Fil-A that I know of that is closed on Sunday to allow workers to be with their family on the Sabbath. I have to respect that, GO is obviously a good family business. But if they respect their employees' right to exercise their religion, why not their right to self-defense?

I kinda doubt much will change, but she did say she welcomed opinions, et cetera...

EDIT: Here's their website: http://www.shopgofirst.com/ GO Grocery Outlet, not to be confused with the CA-based Grocery Outlet. Maybe I'll email them too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
make it SUPER EASY!

Call the Senate on Bloomberg's dime: 855-440-4800

Last edited by Grayson; 05-25-2006 at 12:56..
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:52   #2
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

that's a bummer, but maybe some your points will finally sink in...
Old 05-25-2006, 14:01   #3
betyourlife
on a GLOCK

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1035
that's a bummer, but maybe some your points will finally sink in...
I noticed that the most dirt poor stores have these signs. Wal-Mart, GO, etc. You don't see Lexus dealerships posting no CCW signs...
betyourlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 17:16   #4
Grayson

My "travels" are nothing to write home about, but I've yet to see a Wal-Mart posted. I guess it's just manager discretion in the cases where they CAN. The guy at my local G.O. didn't sound too happy about being posted. He quickly said "It's company policy, *I* didn't post that!" then gave me the number of HQ without me even having to ask for it.

Might've just been ME though. If my workplace was posted and someone called to complain, I'd do everything but break out some pom-poms to cheer them on, and thank them in advance for calling 'up the ladder!'

Anyhow, I also emailed them, thanking them for returning my call so quickly, and also reiterating my position.

and
make it SUPER EASY!

Old 06-01-2006, 19:08   #5
spober

like im gonna walk into a gold mine(thats what conveinence stores are)after dark ,maby 1030-11 at night without my gun?da huh i dont care what little politicaly preverded sign they display.im whatcin out for me and my wife in this dog eat dog world.gezze!
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:31   #6
Grayson

True that...if you HAD to go in there.

But still, wouldn't it be worth the effort to drive a little farther and give your business to a place that respects your right to carry?

and
make it SUPER EASY!

Old 08-01-2006, 21:24   #7
Grayson

You know, Ms. Buchanan asked if she could have my address for the purpose of following up on the issue in writing. It's been almost two months...So I presume:

A) they've filed me in the "round filing cabinet" or
B) they might actually be thinking about this....

I was about to email them again with a breif summation and "I gave this chick my addy, where's my letter then?" but held of due to thinking of "B." I want to be a "PIA," but not for the wrong reasons!

Wonder if anyone else has gotten any kind of "corporate" response back besides "we'll consider your feedback yadda yadda" on the spot, and if so how long it took...?

and
make it SUPER EASY!

Old 08-05-2006, 09:58   #8
MrsKitty

Quote:
Originally posted by betyourlife
You don't see Lexus dealerships posting no CCW signs...
I did have a guy at Flow VW ask me if there were any guns in my car before they inspected it for trade-in.
Old 08-15-2006, 22:14   #9
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

If I still lived in Asheville GO Grocery Outlets would probably get an earful from me. Back when I was a college student most of my grocery shopping was there...couldn't afford to shop much elsewhere.

The biggest kick I get is packing heat in The Fresh Market. Fuggin' liberal bastion of bastiges.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:21   #10
Grayson

VICTORY IS OURS!!!!!!!!!!!

All right, so the store's under new management. So apparently no one convinced the old management to change their minds. But the sign is STILL DOWN!

and
make it SUPER EASY!