Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-10-2006, 19:40   #1
WEATHERBY460

Real World Diesel Mpg????

I am interested in getting a diesel for an everyday driver...I have a commute of 20 miles 1 way, don't care about the cost of the truck, just interested in how much it will cost me to drive...basically will have 200 miles a week I will put on it. The truck will be 4wd, extended cab, 3/4 ton, with the higher gear ratio of 3.70ish (not the 4.10ish) but not sure dodge, gm, or ford. Please share your opinions.
WEATHERBY460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 20:37   #2
OUSooner

I would like to know this as well. I'm thinking of a 4 wheel drive and plan on putting a bunch of miles on it. Real world would be good to know from people who have them. I've pretty much ruled out the Powerstroke so no Ford. Torn between the Duramax and Cummins in the Chevy and Dodge.
OUSooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:13   #3
salvo
Pass the ammo

I have a Dodge 4x4 24 valve Cummins that I bought new in 98 it is a quad cab 3/4 ton with the high gears and I consistantly get 19 mpg running around town unloaded. That is figured from fill up to fill up and I don't baby it either. 35" tires and lightly modded.
-- Ronald Reagan
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 16:49   #4
Diesel Scout

My Dad 93 dodge gets 22. My sisters 05 Dodge gets 17-18. Both are manual tranny's with 3.55 gears.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:08   #5
Alsatian

Just bought an '06 Dodge 3500 Megacab 4x4 w/6spd manual trans, comes standard with 5.9 CTD. had only 25 miles on it when I picked it up from the dealer, made a 460 mile trip home from Spokane, WA and we're already getting 19 mpg according to the on board computer. My hand calculations are in-line with the computer as well! My neighbor's '03 CTD is getting 21-22 mpg. I say go with the Dodge w/5.9 CTD!
Alsatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:26   #6
salvo
Pass the ammo

Alsatian, congrat's
I still think of my 98 as new, It runs better than new and looks better than new any way's
I hope you have as good as time with your's, the after market upgrades for the CTD are the cheapest $ to HP/TQ you will ever find in the automotive world.
-- Ronald Reagan
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 17:56   #7
stetson

I have 2000 7.3 that gets between 14-18 mpg.You will find diesel
trucks hard to drive easy I know I do! I am 50 and still find myself
stepping on sweet spot.I know a guy that has a dodge he get 22 mpg but
remember it's a smaller motor than ford and chevy.Each brand has
it problems and I suggest you research on internet and people you
know that have diesel vehicle.I will tell you it's a great driving
experience compared to gas truck you won't go back!
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 18:18   #8
Semper Gumby

I had a 02 Dodge 1500 4wd with 5.9 gas that got 9 in town and 12 on highway. Replaced it with a 06 Dodge 2500 4wd Diesel and its getting 16 in town(AC on) and 20 on highway. Has a 34 gal tank so you get a huge range also, like 700 miles on highway.

Brother just bought new Mega cab 4x4 to replace a Honda Elament. Puts on at least 400 miles a day. Was having to fill honda few times a day. Getting over 20 on highway. I feel he is safer in the bigger vehicle also.

You will get much better mileage without the 4wd. Also the AC knocks some off in the summer.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:48   #9
J. Parker

I've got a 2001 Chevy Duramax diesel. Highway averages 20 mpg. That's 60-65 mph. Overall averages are 19-21 mpg. I don't do much around town driving.

~John
J. Parker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 20:18   #10
hagar

My 2002 5sp Jetta TDI gets about 45, never less than 41 and most was 49. The Jeep Liberty diesel I hear can get up to 30.
Old 07-19-2006, 20:50   #11
Glock&Schpeel

Okay . . . I'm new here . . . but you happen to hit upon another love of mine . . . . the Diesel engine.

If you can get by with an F150, you're probably better off. But if you NEED a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, and would otherwise commute with a gas 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, then you could save a little money on fuel but that comes with a few huge BUTTS (or is that BUTS?):

In a gas 3/4 ton pickup you'll get 11 to 16 mpg. In a Diesel you'll get 16 to 19 (yes, on both there are extremes where I'm giving you averages). BUT you'll pay a 4 to 5 grand premium for the privilege on a new one and not much less than that on a used one. Not only that but since Diesel now costs as much or more than premium (here, anyway) SOME of that advantage is gone. Another big but: They are forcing the sulfur out of Diesel soon. Just like when they took the lead out of gas, the sulfur is coming out of Diesel. It raises the cost of the the fuel and there will be less BTU's in the fuel. . . not much less but less nonetheless.

If you by an older Diesel, be prepared for future repair bills when the seals dry out. This WILL happen and it has nothing to do with "lubricity."

Now if you're talking about a Diesel Jetta, sure . . . you'll save right off the bat . . . but you said pickup so that's why all the warnings. Back when the fuel was CHEAPER and BETTER it took about 100,000 miles to break even on the extra, initial cost of the engine. I haven't seen the current estimates.

Maintenance costs more but usually less maintenance is needed. However, the oil change interval is THE SAME and my Ford Powerstroke used 14 quarts of oil each change. Diesel engines will have twice the useful life and will hold their value MUCH better so you will get a good deal of that engine premium cost back when you sell.

All of the above comparisons need to be made against the LARGER of the gasoline engines to be fair. The 5.8 or 5.7 litre engines are not capable of pulling the loads that the optional, larger gasoline engines are capable of pulling. Apples to Apples to be fair.

It really pays off when you're towing. A gasoline 3/4 or 1 ton pickup towing a 13,000 lb trailer will get 5 to 9 mpg where that same load on a Diesel will get 9 to 13 mpg (this is from my experience towing across I70 through the Rocky Mountains).

I'm still a big fan of Diesel though . . . lots of power and I kind of like the sound. You can even get used to the smell too! It's really nice when you come to a little incline on the highway . . . you know, the kind that would kick you down a gear or two . . . with the Diesel you just chug right up the hill in overdrive! And I don't expect the fuel to get too crazy . . . even our "wonderful" president and his cronies in the oil companies know the economy suffers when Diesel fuel goes up because so much of the backbone of the country runs on Diesel fuel . . . . literally.

Your mileage may vary!!

Old 07-21-2006, 06:08   #12
OUSooner

Since my reply earlier in this thread I have bought a Chevy diesel and have had if for about a month now. Came with 92,000 miles on it. I'm getting right at 19-20 mpg. However, it needed a new injection pump which cost me $700 for the IP and $200 installation and also replaced the injectors which where $500. The parts on diesels are ungodly expensive to replace. Even batteries, you have to buy two instead of one. But so far I'm happy with it and hope to get at least 300k out of it.

Last edited by OUSooner; 07-21-2006 at 18:34..
Old 07-21-2006, 16:16   #13
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Man, 20+ mpg out of a full size truck and it has more torque, why would anyone want a gas truck is beyond me.

<--- hoping to get a diesel car sometime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 22:04   #14
UrbanCowboy
Koch Addict

Mine(2002 7.3L) was averaging 10.72MPG but it was a little bigger than stock Car Forum
H&K Club #9999. S&W, Walther, Kahr, KelTec, Tactical Shotgun, Kalashnikov, SKS Carbiners, Milsurp and S&P Club #999.
UrbanCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:40   #15
OUSooner

Nice truck, what is that about a 10 inch lift running 35's? The 7.3 is a good engine. Much better than the current 6.0.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:19   #16
DaisyCutter

Here's a good example of when a gas-powered truck is a good compromise:

This is my rig, and what it tows...

Car Forum

Car Forum

I bought the 3/4-ton because I prefer the durability of the solid front axle. It's powered by the 5.7 HEMI. It's rated to tow 10,000+ lbs, but it'd honestly be grunting hard to move that load, especially up hill.

I average 12.5-12.8 mpg over a few thousand miles. This includes city driving, highway, towing the boat, and off-road. The truck is a 2003, and I bought it used, with 10K miles, in 2003. I paid $23,000 for it.

A comparable diesel would've been AT LEAST $10,000 more. Ironically, that's about what my used boat cost.

If I'd have bought a $10K more expensive diesel, it would've taken me about 15 years to break even, only considering fuel savings. How many of us keep a vehicle 15 years?

When you factor in lift pumps, injector pumps, batteries, and oil changes... diesels can get pricey. My family has driven diesels for 23 years... starting out with a 6.2l Chevy Suburban and ending with a 1992 Cummins that they still have. However, they own a horse ranch, so the diesel is a necessity. For the average soccer mom, a diesel isn't usually a wise decision.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:21   #17
UrbanCowboy
Koch Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by OUSooner
Nice truck, what is that about a 10 inch lift running 35's? The 7.3 is a good engine. Much better than the current 6.0.
Thx. It's a 12"lift on 38" PJ's. For comparison my Jeep got the same mileage on 33's with a 5.5" lift. But it still had the stock 3.73's Car Forum
H&K Club #9999. S&W, Walther, Kahr, KelTec, Tactical Shotgun, Kalashnikov, SKS Carbiners, Milsurp and S&P Club #999.

Last edited by UrbanCowboy; 07-26-2006 at 12:30..
UrbanCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 14:55   #18
OUSooner

Daisycutter, while a diesel engine does cost a premium new over a gasser you will get a good chunk of that back in resale value.
Old 07-26-2006, 15:05   #19
DaisyCutter

Quote:
Originally posted by OUSooner
Daisycutter, while a diesel engine does cost a premium new over a gasser you will get a good chunk of that back in resale value.
Generally true. But that large premium still equates to more money spent initially, or for many... a substantially bigger loan. Additionally, there's no guarantee you'll get anything back.

My truck payment is zero. Looking at what new ones cost, it'll likely be my last truck.

I don't ever want $40K tied up in a vehicle.
DaisyCutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 15:13   #20
tripperNC

I have a '92 Dodge D-250 with 160k on it that I bought from my dad. He got an '05 and I'm buying his old one now (the Ol Man gives nothing away!) Mine's a 12 valve Cummins, and though I don't tow anything as of yet, it gets about 18.5 mpg pretty consistently. I don't notice much of a change in my mileage with a/c or not. I might get up to 19 or better on long road trips, but I've always reasoned that because the variation in rpm from idle to 85mph (700-2100 rpm respectively) is little by comparison to a gas burner. I just bought my first tank of biodiesel here in town. She runs same as ever, just smells different. More cost effective too -- $2.88/gal bio compared to 2.99/gal conventional diesel here in NC.

One thing's for sure though. I intend to stay diesel with my trucks. There's just nothing like em.

Tripp
tripperNC is offline   Reply With Quote