Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2006, 23:56   #1
gloxter

Anyone like or dislike their Volvo?

We're seriously thinking about purchasing a certified (used) Volvo as a family sedan; most likely, it'll be an S60. Any feedback, whether positive or negative experiences with the car, the dealership would be appreciated. Unfortunately I can't afford an Audi A4, but the Volvo's safety factor (family) and good mpg are appealing.

-gloxter
gloxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:36   #2
tehan2
NRA & GOAL

My wife had a 2000 S-80 T6. The car was awesome. There were two minor issues with the car in the 5 years and 110k miles that she owned it.

There was an electrical problem somewhere in the dash, dealership fixed the problem for $10 part, no labor charge. The other problem was a broken strut in the 1st 12 months she owned it, all covered under warantee.

Not great in the snow, not bad, but not great. She bought the car at Danzell Volvo in Norwood Mass. Really nice people there, in the last 18 yeras I have owned 10 new cars and 6 new motorcycles and WITHOUT a DOUBT they had the best service of any dealer we have bought from. Even a free loaner car everytime they worked on the car.

Good luck
tehan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 14:01   #3
gloxter

Thanks!

I'm out here on the "Left" coast, so snow isn't that big of a deal to us; but the Mrs. would like to get the AWD. Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to wonder if anyone owned a Volvo! I appreciate your perspective.

-gloxter
Old 07-05-2006, 17:57   #4
elgoatropo

I have some Volvo experience. One drawback to owning one is the risk of being mistaken for a wussy man, especially if you wear a tweed hat.
elgoatropo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 22:58   #5
Asha'man
eat the eat!

My sister has a '90 240DL and it's been bulletproof. She drives it like a typical teenage girl (HARD), so I'm fairly amazed.

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Asha'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:44   #6
gloxter

Wussy-man vehicle= "New Beetle"

Old 07-11-2006, 07:37   #7
DennisP

I was going to get an S60 for my wife. Her girlfriend leased an s-60 and it is nice, but (and there is always a but) it has been a pain in the neck. Mostly little things but they, Alesha and her husband will never buy another one. As for me I like them but I don't know how nice it would be if you always have to take it to the shop.

Note: a co worker of mine (a Police Chief) had a volvo sedan and so did his wife, and they never had a problem with either one. Both vehicles had well over 120K on them.

So good luck and I guess I haven't been much help.

Dennis P.
BIG DAWG #548
DennisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:16   #8
gloxter

Quite the contrary...

I appreciate the feedback. We're going to test drive an S60 some time in the near future. I guess it's hit and miss with these cars. Some swear by them, some swear at them. We'll probably get a Certified car with an extended warranty. Once had a Intrepid that had hiccups, thank god we got the extended. A wiring harness failed and it was buried halfway between the dash and the firewall. They had to tear out the entire dash to get to it. Another time the Dodge's tranny speed sensor went out; naturally we were five states away from home, on our way home. We'll NEVER buy another Dodge vehicle again (edited to reflect the fact that I would consider a new Challenger).

Take care all.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Wussy-man vehicle= "New Beetle"
You mean "New Beetle Convertible"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 17:51   #10
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

All I know is that one of my best friends who is a BMW fanatic but went with the S70 turbo instead of a 540i in order to save some money, he ended up regretting the purchase because the car was too boring to drive.

I rode in it a few times and it was "floaty" similar to a GM car. I'm sure that it's built like a tank though.

I don't recall him ever mentioning any sort of problem with the car other than he hated driving it because it puts him to sleep.
Old 07-12-2006, 19:49   #11
mado

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
You mean "New Beetle Convertible"

You mean New Beetle Convertible with gerber daisies in the dashboard flower vase. I hate driving my wife's car
mado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 15:32   #12
MStarmer
In Jail...

I have an '05 S40 and have had no issues with it. I've had it for a little over a year and it seems bulletproof. I admit that it could be conceived as "boring". I guess I'm too old (creeping up on 40 )

Car Forum
Old 07-21-2006, 16:17   #13
avmech
NRA Life Member

Check out the S60R.....we have one and it is awsome....lots of power, 3 driver selectable suspension rates, etc.....
avmech is offline   Reply With Quote