Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:40   #1
pellertpale
ReMember

Send a message via AIM to pellertpale
I'm considering the Indiana National Guard

I want to help my country, and I've wasted the last nine years of my life. I don't want to take too much on right now though. I'm going through financial issue's that I ignored for quite some time due to chemical dependancy which I'm resolving at this time as well.

I'm wondering about the experiences of others.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Pass here, and go on. You are on the road to heaven. - Jack Kerouac
pellertpale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 18:59   #2
pellertpale
ReMember

btt
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Old 07-13-2006, 19:08   #3
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

What kinds of financial and chemical issues do you have? Both kinds of issues could keep you from getting in. On the bright side, the Army National Guard is the component most forgiving in this regard.

I'm not a recruiter but there are some Army recruiters that hang out here who could probably help you.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:12   #4
pellertpale
ReMember

I quit weed, and alcohol. I lost things that were very important to me for some dumb stuff. Never again.

I have federal, and state tax debt. As well as a couple of judgements being filed against me.

I've wanted the best for my country all of my life, and I don't think that is going to change for the rest of it.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Old 07-14-2006, 20:48   #5
ArmoredGlock

Quote:
Originally posted by pellertpale

I have federal, and state tax debt. As well as a couple of judgements being filed against me.
I just filled out my app tonight and it does ask for that information as well as judgments, liens and stuff. talk to a recruiter and see what they can do.
ArmoredGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:00   #6
pellertpale
ReMember

I tried to fill out the online form, but I'm not a student, retired service, or medical personnel. I guess I'll call them. They will probably be looking for more recruits considering the state of the Middle East after this week.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Old 07-15-2006, 13:21   #7
hotlunch

As much as I truly enjoy watching your life implode under the weight of your own stupidity, I would like to offer some (genuine) advice. I know you won't care for it because I'm sure you're still defensive towards the world and anyone who doesn't join your personal pity party but maybe you'll at least consider what I have to say as not being mean spirited or wishing you to suffer.

Let's see, well, I knew a guy in the same boat as you with "chemical dependency" issues and out of the blue he up and joined the coast guard. I was amazed they even took him, I mean, he looked like a total hippy. I thought for sure he'd be tossed out of the coast guard in less than a week--he's been in it for over 20 years now. It totally changed him from a pot-smoking Manson look-a-like to a respectable family man. The transformation was amazing.

The downside to the military (in all its forms) is that there are alot of hard drinkin' goof balls that exist there. It's one thing to knock back a few with your buds but alot of guys in the service have severe alcohol problems (and financial and chemical and emotional, etc.). So, keep in mind that you might end up surrounded by the very type of people you shouldn't be hanging out with if you have a drinking problem.

The other downside is that you will probably be shipped over to Iraq and become car bomb chum. Not a nice thought, but a very real possibility. That's one way to take care of your problems--permanently. Are you seriously ok with that? Or are you just talking about joining the guard to run away from your problems? It's natural to want to run away from life's problems, but sometimes you have to stay and "fight" not just do the "flight" part of the instinctive response.

Some of the best advice I ever got was from someone quoting Thoreau. To paraphrase he said that whenever he gets on a train (coach???) to escape his problems he finds that they are sitting right next to him no matter where he goes. What this means is that you can't really escape your problems so perhaps you should face them, deal with them because they aren't going anywhere. Or as a good friend often says to me: "Handle your business before it handles you!"

Think about it.
hotlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 14:58   #8
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

hotlunch makes a good point about booze and the military. I like to drink beer and occasionally get a little goofy, but there are quite a few I've encountered in the reserves who make me look like a teetotaler. On drill weekends you can simply go home at night and avoid them, but AT's and deployments can be a problem if you're not careful. The Guard/Reserve can be awesome but there's also a lot that can get you into a world of doo-doo.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 20:21   #9
pellertpale
ReMember

I'm still trying to get some stability in my financial/employment situation as of now. I'm weary of making a drastic decision under this much stress. I'm considering bankruptcy as my best option for my fiscal matters. I haven't quit drinking either. I don't need liquor, but there's times when I want it.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Old 07-19-2006, 21:48   #10
Ignition
Insanityville

hahahha alcohol and military....

I have Jim Jack and Jose over every weekend. Not to mention letting Beers get tossed in there..... (back to subject at hand)

Talking with the recruiter is going to be your best bet with the "colored" past that you listed
-Big Dawgs #5530 Young Glockers #5 OAF #1337 USMC- For Life  
-If they ban my guns, can i still use my sword? -a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun
-Can we repeal Murphy's laws?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

-the 2nd amendment doesnt say the right to keep and bear long-guns
posted by Eric on the OAF --> Yes, when I was created, I killed all other Erics and assimilated them into my neural net. I am ERIC. I am all Erics.
Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:43   #11
pellertpale
ReMember

I'm going to pursue a more stable situation before I get any further in this process. My past won't be my future.

Thank you everyone.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC