SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2006, 21:01   #1
glockman2

Send a message via Yahoo to glockman2
SF Inquiry

I work with an individual who claims to be a retired Army Special Forces "Top". He states he was in the 1st.Group. His time of service is about 1975-1995. I have not seen any photos or anything that substantiates this claim. When I ask specific questions either they cannot be answered correctly or the subject is changed. I have only seen a windbreaker with the 1st Grp logo.

Is there a resource to find out if this person is telling the truth? I believe he is retired Army but I have serious doubts about being SF. Any assistance would be appreciated!
Old 07-29-2006, 19:34   #2
subsonic

Might check with the Silent Professionals over at www.professionalsoldiers.com
subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 22:12   #3
Battle Nun

Smoking Posers.

I was there from 85 to 90. I had a ball in 1SFGA.

First ask if he was Okinawa or Lewis. Then get a team number and battalion. Oki had teams with 11 12 13, (1st Batt) as in 124. Lewis had teams 14, 15 16 (2nd Batt), 17, 18, 19,(3rd Batt) as in 175. So a company was 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 6 teams per company, 3 companies per battalion, when I was there. It has shifted around though, they have activated or demobilized some since I was there but this will either make him really guarded in his response or he will provide the right number.

Ask him if he knew anyone on (pick a team). See what he does. Ask him for names of Group Sergeant Majors, ie, Garcia, Mcguire were the GPSGM's when I was there, '85 on.

Ask for MOS, SF qualified were all 18 series, as in 18B, 18C, 18D, 18E (the best) 18F, 180A, 18Z. I often bluff a guy who was an SF poser right here. Find out they drove a truck or were a clerk, important jobs but not SF qualified. I always treated support guys well, it was hard for teams to succeed without them, we always put the truckdrivers that drove us to the ranges right in the training with us, they had a ball, made em real loyal.

Also, 1SFGA was demobilized in the early 70s and stood back up in 84, I got there right after.

Lastly, give me his name, I was in 3rd battalion and would know of him if he was there when I was. I was on 74 and 75 HALO and SCUBA teams back then.

And also, they gave away those slickers to people who trained with us. I remember them. All PR.

I hate posers.

You now have more than enought to seriously smoke this guy out or prove him legit.

Luck.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:09   #4
D.S.Brown

Battle Nun,

I always get posers with the MOS question. I was a "dirty nasty mech infantry leg" (11B) and proud of my service to my country. I work part time at a gun range in Dallas. Places like are a magnet to posers and the real deal alike. For a while I thought the only jobs available in the military were Rangers, Special Forces, Delta, and Navy Seals. Many I met seemed to fall into one of these categories until of course they are tripped up by the aforementioned MOS question. What no one joins the Army to be a cook, clerk, or mechanic anymore?

I understand rivalry between the services as well as MOS's but truth be told no matter what job you did, or who you did it with, it was important. You served your country! Don't diminish it by lying about doing a different job.

Ironically, a guy I worked with who is uber knowledgeable about AR-15's, would tell you he spent two years painting the U.S. Navy Aircraft Carrier Carl Enniss.

Best,
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
D.S.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 14:31   #5
NoGo

Call his bluff. Ask to see his DD214. It should show the SFQC, his 18 series MOS with suffixes like 5P, W7 or W8 and in the awards section "SF Tab".

Lots of posers out there. I have a heavily medicated neighbor at the end of my road that is indeed a Viet Nam vet, there as an Artilleryman. Last year I saw him wearing a Green Beret with a Viet Nam era 5th SFG flash on it, while he was getting ready to trailer his bike to a Harley rally.

I approached him and could see in his eyes that he'd been caught. He mentioned that he had been "Attached" to an SF unit, but couldn't recall which one, or what the flash represented. He took it off and I helped him load up his bike. About a week later I saw him riding into town with it on again....

Oh well, if he needs to lie to feel good, fine. I've got more important things to worry about.
NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 20:56   #6
feetpiece
Unforgiven

Send a message via Yahoo to feetpiece

Re: Smoking Posers.

Quote:
Originally posted by Battle Nun
Find out they drove a truck or were a clerk, important jobs but not SF qualified. I always treated support guys well, it was hard for teams to succeed without them, we always put the truckdrivers that drove us to the ranges right in the training with us, they had a ball, made em real loyal.
I'm a support puke and work in the BN S2. I got what should have been a B**** detail hauling ammo for 2016 as they went through HAVE ACE at Hurlburt in July. It turned out to be one of the best weeks of my career and I even got a COT for the course! Gotta love hangin with the team guy's...
feetpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 20:26   #7
JohnNC

HAVEACE rocks, had a great time there. I too always included the support guys as much as possible, they do too much work with too few rewards. A set of oakleys, a team hat, and some range time can pay HUGE dividends.
G1 Niner #1369

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
JohnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 19:32   #8
crosswind

The 18 series MOS may be the only SF MOS now,but in the 60's 11b4s was the MOS for a SF light weapons leader. A former SF soldier won't tell you that he was SF. He knows.
crosswind is offline   Reply With Quote