SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-05-2006, 23:57   #1
Marshhawk

Send a message via Yahoo to Marshhawk

Looking at Titan and Frontiers

Hi all I may be interested in a new truck.I currently have a 2000 Tundra 4wd but as much as I like Toyota they seem quite a bit more then Nissan. If I had my choice it would probably be a cew cab Tacoma but I never see any deals on them. Must be selling well?

I also am not impressed that Toyota knows about the brake issue with the early tundras and has done nothing about it and also the infamous manifold/lifter noise.

So I was looking at Nissan. I am more interested in the Crew Cab Frontier 4wd but would like to hear about peoples experience with Nissan in general.

I had an 89 sentra and it was a good car.

I am looking at the Newer Frontiers since they got the bigger engine. I have heard the early ones really lacked power.

Thanks in advance.

Bill/WI
Sub Club #1926
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference,they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"
George Washington
Marshhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 09:09   #2
FlaFF

With the incentives they're offering on the Titan you can probably get into one for the same price as a Frontier. Gas mileage is about the same in real world driving. The Titan king cab will have similar overall interior space to the frontier crew cab, but be more comfortable for the front seat passengers as the seats are much bigger.
Toyota is offering 0% for 60 months if you intend to finance. That is a significant savings vs what you will pay on a decent loan at the going rate.

FlaFF
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 23:32   #3
PBCounty

Send a message via AIM to PBCounty
I know the new Frontiers haul ass. (as far as factory compact trucks go)

I also know they are not real trucks. They (unlike Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota) do not have full length chassis and they are not equipped with real bumpers. All plastic and crumple zones.

However, they do run good.
Old 08-11-2006, 13:42   #4
LOOGIE1

I have a titan for a company work truck the thing is great we work the hell out of them towing hauling ect they are great and tow a house down the road if it had a hitch verry impressed with it considering i gave up a f-250 disel for the titan. a f-250 the titan is not, but the way we work them they are the only forighn truck i would buy and i am a ford man but the titan will out preform moast all standard 1500 chevy's or an f-150 or atleast give them a dam good run for there money
Old 08-14-2006, 17:57   #5
DriBak
GUNS UP

I've had my 05 Frontier NISMO KC for one year and just turned 26K on it without a hitch, I traded in a 99 Toyota Tacoma with 146K for it
Old 08-14-2006, 21:14   #6
Chupy
BOOM

Send a message via AIM to Chupy
I have a 2006 Titan crew cab LE and I could not be happier. I have only had it since February and not a single complaint yet. Very roomy, the back seat has more room than any other truck or even SUV. Handles quite a bit in hauling and with nothing in the back it has quite a bit of get up and go. If I can fix my camera I will snap and post a few tomorrow. I would at the very least recommend test driving one. I think you will like what you see.
Chupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 00:23   #7
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

I'm not telling you what to get. I will suggest you go and drive a Honda Ridgeline. Just drive it. Don't read about it, just go test drive it.

I know what truck you'll buy..........
Old 08-16-2006, 13:52   #8
FlaFF

I'm with you on the Ridgeline. I believe it meets the needs of the vast majority of what folks use a truck for, and it drives eleventy-billion times better than a traditional truck. Some people can't stand the look, but a vehicle is a tool rather than a status symbol to me so I couldn't care less what they look like.

FlaFF
FlaFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 14:23   #9
xring04
On the Right.

Quote:
Originally posted by PBCounty
I know the new Frontiers haul ass. (as far as factory compact trucks go)

I also know they are not real trucks. They (unlike Ford, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota) do not have full length chassis and they are not equipped with real bumpers. All plastic and crumple zones.

However, they do run good.
ummm, that not true. It has a full length box chassis!
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 20:35   #10
spober

my paid for dakota 4 x4 is still a good stout looking truck.i prefere the 97-99 models as best looking.im gonna keep her and put a 5 inch lift with 33 maby 35 inch tires.keep her for my off road vehical and just retire my bare bones 77cj 5
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 00:17   #11
hbjeff

Send a message via AIM to hbjeff
check out the new tacoma too. the nissan is a nice lookin truck, havent driven it. i have driven the 05 tacoma and it was really nice. i ended up gettin an 05 tundra for the V8 though. half the days i wished i woulda gotten the taco just to be that much narrower. oh well i like the tundra
hbjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 19:22   #12
stetson

I've owned 6 nissan trucks through the years and I have nothing but positive to say about them except the one that was stolen.The Last
one was a 4 banger that got 17 miles a gallon when I drove it hard!
What I did't like you could not put a snowplow on new frontier style.
I always liked the old hard body style over new models but that's me.
I went to a f-250 powerstroke and I get 15-17 mpg with three quarter ton truck with the ride.I looked a titan and it was rated
at 13-17 mpg.I drive 25,000 plus a year so I figured it was time to
go to diesel.Maybe we'll see some in lighter trucks soon?
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 16:38   #13
vart

Titans had a bunch of little teething issues the first year, but Nissan made over 200 changes and I hear the new ones are very reliable.

If you do buy a Titan, pay very close attention to the instructions on breaking in the rear axle. It's a stout unit but requires a bit of babying the first few hundred miles to break it in properly.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 17:30   #14
ElConquistador

Hey, I had an '89 Sentra too, best car I've ever owned.

After driving the Tundra I can almost guarantee that you won't be happy with the Frontier. The new one is bigger but it's still a small truck, as soon as I sat in one I knew they're not for me. Have you looked at them? The Titan seems nice, I think they're good looking.

The Tacoma seems bigger to me than the Frontier. I'd take one in a heartbeat.
Old 09-24-2006, 14:22   #15
IGLOCK
Resident Alien

Traded a 05 Tacoma for a 05 Titan. Liked the Tacoma. Love the Titan....except when I have fill up the gas tank. But, that's true for any full size truck. The early Titans had rear differential and brake issues which have been fixed in later models. They were just undersized for the vehicle. There are a couple good forums you might want to check out. www.clubtitan.org and www.titantalk.com

Last edited by IGLOCK; 09-24-2006 at 14:24..
IGLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55   #16
slumpmaster
Amateur

I bought an '06 Frontier crew cab 4x4 in June. I have few complaints. The gas cap broke, but otherwise it has been perfect. Only gets 18 mpg, but has loads of power, more than I'll ever use. My real gripe is that my wife has appropriated it, she likes it so much.

Looked at Toyotas, but at $5000 more, similarly equipped, I couldn't justify it. The Toyotas are more luxurious than the Nissans, I will admit that, so maybe that's what the extra cost was about. Actually, the interior of the Tacoma was TOO nice to me, I couldn't have justified treating it like a truck. I also didn't care for the Tacoma's plastic bedliner. The Frontier comes with a spray-on.

This is my fourth Nissan truck, and all have been keepers so far. Trucks #2(a 1986) and 3(a 1995) had the manual trannys go at 220K and 165K, respectively. Other than that, zero malfunctions with any of them. All have been used hard, but regularly maintained. This one is powerful, comfortable, is luxurious enough, but not so much that I'm afraid to get it dirty.

Both Nissan and Toyota make an outstanding product IMO. I just preferred the Nissan. YMMV.

Last edited by slumpmaster; 10-02-2006 at 07:58..
slumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:25   #17
rifle-cop624

Send a message via AIM to rifle-cop624
I love my 04 Titan crew cab 4x4. Hands down, the best truck I have ever owned.
rifle-cop624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 14:43   #18
vart

Too bad you're not in AZ; I now work for Nissan as a Sales Consultant.

If you are a member of Costco, find out if your local Nissan dealer has an agreement with them. Ours does, and if a Costco member comes in, we have to sell them a new Nissan for $75 over invoice .

Sales guys hate it because our commission is a mini, but I like to see people save money on great vehicles .

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

Rabbi - "Anyways, that is a beautiful car. Bill probably already farted in it."
vart is offline   Reply With Quote