SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-06-2006, 21:23   #1
SouthTexasrep

Send a message via AIM to SouthTexasrep
this weekends hunt= 1pig, first open sight kill

I made the switch to 150 grains for this season. I was out of ammo, but my huntin' buddy also owns a .30/30, but prefers 150. So i re-sighted(open sight, so I guess it's just considered practice, i dont know what to call it, really) Anyway, I was out hunting for hogs/pig. I got in the blind around 6, an hour before the feeders were supposed to go off. I saw a couple of six pointers, but no hog/pig. I sat until 9, by that time I could not see my front sight well enough to take a shot.

I had corned a backroad earlier in the day that I decided I would go check out on the four wheeler( in Texas you can shoot any non game animal at any time, whether it be after dark or not doesn't matter) After about 20 minutes of foolin' around with the four wheeler, and ultimately switching out the bike for another one back at camp, I was on my way.

I headed down the road I had corned earlier and noticed a lack of corn. lol. After a bit I started questioning myself, then realized I couldn't have messed up, considering there were no turns. I came around a curve in the road, and about 10-15 yards in front of me was a pig! (I had the headlights on by the way) I took my .30-30 off my back, pulled back the hammer and got set for a shot, right when he turned. Obviously he saw me, so I figured he was turning to bolt for the brush line. Nope! he turned back around and went back to eating. That, combined with the light from the headlight(plenty to see my front sight and what was beyond the pig) gave me a perfect head shot.

This seems like alot of time, but from the time I rounded the corner to the time I shot was ~10 seconds

Marlin 336 at ~10 yards shooting a 150 grain CoreLokt. Scored right beneath the ear. When I went to skin him, his head was dang near deflated.

The pig wasn't as big as I wanted, only about 15 pounds of meat or so. Still young, probably pretty tender. I'm gonna start a good marinade tomorrow, and cook him on tuesday on the bbq pit. In hindsight, if I had gone farther down the road, I probably would have seen a bigger one. The chances of something that small being on its own are slim. But oh well, I got my first open sight kill! And dinner to boot

Pics will come once I get 'em developed. i only took two though. Hopefully I'll be getting a digital camera here pretty soon

I'm ashamed the Dixie Chicks are from Texas!

"And when he gets to the Pearly Gates, to St. Peter he will tell,"Sir, another Marine reporting in, I've served my time in Hell"
SouthTexasrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 22:52   #2
mpol777
Feral Member

From what Noway has posted those little ones are the best tasting. I've never shot a wild hog myself. The closest thing we have are javelina. Which isn't all that close.

Someday I want to take a hog excursion and fill a freezer. Sounds like a fun hunt.
Old 08-06-2006, 23:05   #3
gruntmedik
CLM Number 291
Honk Honk

Quote:
Originally posted by mpol777
From what Noway has posted those little ones are the best tasting. I've never shot a wild hog myself. The closest thing we have are javelina. Which isn't all that close.

Someday I want to take a hog excursion and fill a freezer. Sounds like a fun hunt.
Me too. I've been wanting to hunt hogs for a long time, but we have VERY few here.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:25   #4
SouthTexasrep

I've only shot two, counting this weekends one. The first one I shot was the first pig seen on that land in about twenty years. Different property by the way. It wound up being a domestic. I didn't know that at the time, though.

"And when he gets to the Pearly Gates, to St. Peter he will tell,"Sir, another Marine reporting in, I've served my time in Hell"
Old 08-07-2006, 11:11   #5
Razoreye
♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthTexasrep
I've only shot two, counting this weekends one. The first one I shot was the first pig seen on that land in about twenty years. Different property by the way. It wound up being a domestic. I didn't know that at the time, though.
LoL, bet that was a surprise.

And if I close my mind in fear... Please pry it open!

Smooth is fast, fast is smooth.
Razoreye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:25   #6
noway

good job and did you recover any bullet from this smallish hog ?
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 21:10   #7
SouthTexasrep

nope, went straight through the head. I kind of wish I had, just because it would be cool to have a fully expanded bullet, just to see, but no luck.

Old 08-07-2006, 21:15   #8
SouthTexasrep

Quote:
Originally posted by Razoreye
LoL, bet that was a surprise.
yup. We got on the property around 5, and I thought I saw something light colored by the brush. I asked if it was a hog, he said no chance, not for twenty years had they seen one, it must have been a fox. Later on in the afternoon he came and told me that he had seen a small pig and had scared it back my direction. Since I was out for turkey, all I had was a shotgun. He brought me my .270 and I waited for the pig. I went to the truck to get a banana about 30 minutes later (truck was about twenty yards from where I was sitting. Sure enough, the pig ran about ten yards from me. I took two shots and missed(later realized my scope wasn't tightened enough, my mistake, but I was still a 'rookie') Anyway, we found it right at the fence line. I passed him the rifle, as I wasn't feeling too confident about my shooting "abilities"(or lack of, I guess) and let him take the shot. But everyone that hears the story gives me credit for it Either way, I got the meat, and thats what's important. lol

Old 08-09-2006, 19:58   #9
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

Congrats on getting a pig.

That's a perfect size - I call them sandwich meat.
Old 08-10-2006, 18:48   #10
SouthTexasrep

Thank you. Anyone got any tips for a good bbq marinade?

Last year I just put in some italian sauce and let it marinade over night. I think we might have added in an old beer also. Then i seasoned with garlic powder and some other things right before cooking. Does anyone else have a good marinade?

Old 08-10-2006, 22:11   #11
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

That litt'l pig should be just fine by itself.

I usually only try to flavor up a big boar.

After all, pork IS the other white meat.

Grill it with butter, salt and pepper and then sauce it up if it needs anything extra (or taken away).
Old 08-11-2006, 00:04   #12
noway

{ Anyone got any tips for a good bbq marinade?
}

soak your pork in a water/vinegar mixture 70-30 or 80/20 drain and rub it down with your favorite rubs and seasonings and let that sit for at least 2-8hours.

fwiw: italian season might be to harash for a ove rnight or 24hrs marinade

YMMV
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 13:01   #13
gatorfish

Nice,

I use my iron sighted 336 and 160gr Leverevolution from hornady for hogs/deer, although my bow gets more use nowadays...
gatorfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 10:00   #14
SouthTexasrep

hows the leverevoulution ammo work expansion wise? I read an article about it when it was about to be released, but I haven't tried it yet. What's the price like compared to Core-Lokts?