Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2006, 22:34   #1
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

Send a message via AIM to TexasGlock23 Send a message via Yahoo to TexasGlock23
Well the AF is screwing off too much...

so I spoke with a NAVY recruiter today. I take the ASVAB next monday. I want to do Intel, EOD or Master of Arms(is that correct?) I want to be a police officer when I get out, I love guns as you can tell and I want to do something that will get me a good gov. job if I decide to get out. Any info on this will be appreciated. The AF could not guarantee me anything at all and wants me to drop another 18 pounds! I will be nothing but bones then. Thanks guys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G23-TFO's, Streamlight TLR-1, Tucker Tx Heritage IWB and a few other goodies.
G19-wifes
own a GM? visit us at customgm.com

Last edited by TexasGlock23; 08-07-2006 at 22:36..
TexasGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 19:49   #2
KIDCOP
Rifle Master

The important thing to remember is it matters not what job you had in the Navy/service prior to becoming a Police Officer. What matters is a clean nose and doing your job well. Find something you want to do, not what you think will help you come a cop. Master at Arms, no way my friend. Don't count on some Navy qual making you a shoe in. Some places have their own EOD and would like EOD trained people to apply but you still have to meet back ground/psych/physical/drug abuse requirements. (some people just are not cut out for the job)

I worked on Navy ejection seats for 20 years before becoming a Police Officer. Very little use for that now. I enjoyed the Navy and my job for the most part. My Seniors knew I was interested in becoming a cop so I was assigned to the Singapor Police for shore patrol one night. Doing 120K though the streets of Singapor was a blast. The same command made sure I was able to attend reserve police classes on my off time. That let me see if I was really interested in the job.

If I had it to do over again I would work on a 4 year degree in CJ/Business something on what little time off I had and raising a family.
Old 08-08-2006, 19:56   #3
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

I have CJ classes in community college, I was working towards my degree. But I am not happy where I am so I decided to join the military. I know the job doesn't really matter, I just want something that I am interested in and not what the recruiter wants me to be interested in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

G19-wifes
Old 08-09-2006, 00:48   #4
KIDCOP
Rifle Master

It will be the "Classifier" who will give you a school. I would not sign a contract unless there is a school guarantee you are interested in. As a gun guy you might even think of being a Gunners Mate.

I was Navy Air, had a blast and have seen things that would make most peoples head spin. heh, heh.

It's a big world out there. I would not trade anything for the places I've been and the people I've seen. Sometimes people get a little cranky thinking how bad it is here. They have not seen how some other people live. Coming home to the US is alaways a relief.

Depending on how you do on the ASVAB will give the "Classifier" the raw scores with which he can offer you schools.

If you are interested in EOD, I believe there are "rates" or job skills they pull from. As a AME I wasn't able to move onto some of the more fun jobs and besides the Navy was always a little short on us.

Remember this though, the Classifier is like a closer and it looks bad when he looses a sale. Seems like some of the better schools come open towards the end of the month.

Just so you know I was a recruiter over 25 years ago. It was hard duty but my reward was going to China Lake. There I was involved in doing a eval on the then new F/A-18. We called it ugly and the Navy still bought it. The problems we saw then has been improved with the Super 18 which I never worked on. That squardron about worked me to death.

Another little known fact is I loaded the pilots seat for the movie Flight of the Intruder. Movie sucked but it was a fun 3 days of hard work for 3 seconds of film. I was back at China Lake then but working for the Base. That was a fun filled tour. I was also involved in the NACES seat which is now the Navy Standard Ejection Seat. I was the poor SOB who signed the seat was ready for a test shot out of the back of our white F-4 and was safe for flight. I did a total of 17 of those. I also shot M-14's for the base rifle team then as well. I was ordered to Camp Perry in 1990. Heh Heh. Free ammo and free match grade rifles are hard to beat.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:46   #5
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

Quote:
Originally posted by KIDCOP
As a gun guy you might even think of being a Gunners Mate.

looked into it already, waiting for a reply

G19-wifes