Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:43   #1
daredwit

I have some questions on choosing the right heavy bag and gloves.

I was looking at heavy bags and gloves yesterday and contemplating purchase. I have never owned one so I was hoping you guys and gals with more experience could help me out before I plop down the cash.

I was trying to decide between a freestanding bag (a wavemaster)or a traditional 100lb everlast bag.

Here is what I liked and disliked.

I liked the fact that the wavemaster could be filled with water and sand and could be used outside or inside and didn't have to be mounted on a stand or ceiling. Also, it could be left outside since the base is plastic and the bag is removable. What I didn't like is that is sounds like when this bag is hit, that it tips and returns allowing only one punch or kick and then having to wait for the base to return upright. I am not positive since the one I looked at had an unfilled base.

The 100lb bag seemed extremely sturdy and would not rock as much as the freestanding but there were spots toward the bottom of the bag that were as hard as concrete. Almost as if the filler material had settled into one spot. And the top part of the bag didn't have as much filler material. Also, I am not sure if I like the idea of having to mount it on my ceiling. Not sure how sturdy that would be.

Trying to weight pros and cons of each. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also want to get gloves that provide maximum hand and wrist protection since I have a previous hand injury and do not want to get that going again. Guy at the sports shop suggested 16 Oz gloves with hand wraps. Any suggestions here would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
daredwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 18:56   #2
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
I wouldn't count on the gloves providing wrist protection. Part of what hitting a bag properly does is to train you to hit with your wrist straight. Taping your wrists could help this, but gloves that loose enough to slip on are not going to be any help.
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote