SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2006, 18:55   #1
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Indiana Open Carry Sightings.

Just so folks can get an idea of how much or little people open carry in Indiana, I thought I'd start a thread.

Tonight at Wal-Mart in Beech Grove (SE Indy) I saw a man open carrying a glock with two mag holder, on a tactical style belt. While wearing camo shorts, and some type of t-shirt. He was with what appeared to be his elderly mother shopping. My bet was he was not a cop-just did not look the type.

So, that aisle had TWO carry persons - one open, one concealed.
Old 08-12-2006, 20:17   #2
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

I saw an open carry Glock (G22 or G23)at the east side Meijer. The gentleman did have a badge on his belt. don't think he was IPD/MCSD/ISP though. Looked like a private security type.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 21:20   #3
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Discounting the range and gun shop, I have seen one person open carry. A 1911 style with wood grips at Turkey Run State Park, in the nature center. This was back in April or so.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 23:06   #4
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
I saw me carrying openly on the far south side of Crawfordsville on Tuesday evening!
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:22   #5
brass308

Rhino, you saw yourself, and you were open carrying?? I can only imagine seeign TWO ballet masters walking the streets at one time

Cheers
Old 08-13-2006, 09:12   #6
IronHorseman

I open carry occasionally on the bike in hot weather.The past couple of weeks I have been leaving my cover shirt unbuttoned due to the heat.When we lived in Indy we used to stop at Dairy Queen or at convenience store at SR 37 and Southport Rd on the way home fro the range and open carry.I`ve seen open carry at Walmart in Greenwood and at Cycle Recycle.
IronHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:14   #7
IronHorseman

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
I saw me carrying openly on the far south side of Crawfordsville on Tuesday evening!
Beware of officer Jeff Largent in C`ville.
Old 08-13-2006, 17:46   #8
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by brass308
Rhino, you saw yourself, and you were open carrying?? I can only imagine seeign TWO ballet masters walking the streets at one time

Yeah! When I see my own reflection, I don't know whether to fall in love or draw!

I refrained from the pirouettes, though. Open carry may be legal, but that kind of thing just "ain't right" around here.
Old 08-13-2006, 17:50   #9
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by IronHorseman
Beware of officer Jeff Largent in C`ville.
Why?

I know the name, but I don't think I've ever met him. What does he look like?

I was carrying openly on my way home from Lebanon again today. I stopped at the Marathon on the east side of C'ville and there was a guy who was very obviously a cop parked at the pump opposite me (he was dressed neatly, had a shaved head, and had lots of attennas on his dark colored sedan). I could tell he "looked" at me while I was walking around my truck pumpin' gas and cleaning a bunch of trash out of the cab, but he didn't say anything to me.

Which is exactly what should have happened. I noticed him and he noticed me, and since we were strangers, there was no interaction. If he'd made eye contact, I would have said, "Howdy!" though, 'cause I'm friendly.
Old 08-13-2006, 18:53   #10
IronHorseman

Quote:
Originally posted by rhino465
Why?

I know the name, but I don't think I've ever met him. What does he look like?

I was carrying openly on my way home from Lebanon again today. I stopped at the Marathon on the east side of C'ville and there was a guy who was very obviously a cop parked at the pump opposite me (he was dressed neatly, had a shaved head, and had lots of attennas on his dark colored sedan). I could tell he "looked" at me while I was walking around my truck pumpin' gas and cleaning a bunch of trash out of the cab, but he didn't say anything to me.

Which is exactly what should have happened. I noticed him and he noticed me, and since we were strangers, there was no interaction. If he'd made eye contact, I would have said, "Howdy!" though, 'cause I'm friendly. :supergrin:
I went to school with Jeff Largent he is an officer with Crawforsville PD. He has a real problem with open carry.He has hassled several of my friends.Of course he has had an attitude problem since elementary school.
Old 08-13-2006, 19:14   #11
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

I hate those types.
Old 08-13-2006, 19:52   #12
kfoley
Break glass

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
I saw an open carry Glock (G22 or G23)at the east side Meijer. The gentleman did have a badge on his belt. don't think he was IPD/MCSD/ISP though. Looked like a private security type.
At first I thought you were talking about me, that is until you got to the badge part. Although I do get mistaken for a cop quite a bit. I guess it's the short hair, clean cut, young guy in BDU's with a Glock and dual mag pouch thing... Anybody else who OC's get asked this a lot?

I usually open carry in summer and conceal (if I'm wearing a jacket) in winter. However I have not seen many others around town who OC, with exception of the gun shops...
Young Glocker's #19, G1 Niner's Club #0147, Kahr Club #147, Rimfire Club #81
Bad guys don't make appointments, they just show up.
kfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 20:00   #13
rhino465

Quote:
Originally posted by IronHorseman
I went to school with Jeff Largent he is an officer with Crawforsville PD. He has a real problem with open carry.He has hassled several of my friends.Of course he has had an attitude problem since elementary school.
That's unfortunate. It sounds like he's exactly the kind of person who is attracted to "law enforcment" for the power trip and should absolutely not be allowed to be a police officer.

Perhaps if I have a problem with him, I'll talk to his superiors.
Old 08-13-2006, 21:07   #14
9mm Luger
GLOCK 26

I saw one person open carrying last summer here in La Porte county. Looked like he was carrying a .357 magnum. Other than in gun shops he's the only person I have seen carrying openly.

He got alot of shocked looks while pumping his gas from the sheeple.
Niner's Club #821 Rimfire Club #821
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
9mm Luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:40   #15
SemperFi5831

I can remember three occasions in the last few years where I saw someone open carrying in the Seymour/Columbus area; with one being just this past Friday.

One was in a restaurant on a well dressed 50 something gentleman with gray hair and a nice .45 in what looked like a quality leather belt holster.

Another was in Walmart where I got in the checkout line behind some schmuch with a Highpoint tucked into the small of his back with no holster.

Then just last Friday I was in the Verizon store in Columbus getting a new phone and my girlfriend pointed out that another man at the counter had a small pistol tucked into his pants at about 5 o’clock. It looked to be about .380 caliber and again was not in a holster. This guy didn’t appear very smart either as he was leaning with both arms up on the counter and his ass sticking out with his pistol displayed for everyone and offering anyone who dared the opportunity to just reach over and grab it. He would have been able to do nothing to prevent it being taken from him. I almost wanted to do it just to teach him a lesson.

Semper Fi
SemperFi5831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:26   #16
Hoosierdaddy_X4

Quote:
Originally posted by Warp
Discounting the range and gun shop, I have seen one person open carry. A 1911 style with wood grips at Turkey Run State Park, in the nature center. This was back in April or so.

I thought State Park carry was a "No-No" here in Indiana. (Not that it has ever stopped me) Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:32   #17
Hoosierdaddy_X4

My position as a Youth Pastor makes it so that I have to always be aware of the image that I am portraying. I think everyone in my church knows that I like guns, and that I have been known to carry occasionally (by occasionally, I mean 99.9%), but they may not like me open carrying too much. So I usually go concealed around town. However, I do open carry every once in a while.

The other day, I was at the gas station and a guy in front of me was open carrying a 1911. Two other guys next to me were arguing about the legality of carrying a gun. Little did they know that he was not the only one carrying.
Old 08-14-2006, 14:07   #18
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by Hoosierdaddy_X4
I thought State Park carry was a "No-No" here in Indiana. (Not that it has ever stopped me) Correct me if I am wrong.
According to Indiana Criminal Code state parks are perfectly fine to carry in. The DNR has an administrative policy against it, and I am unsure exactly what weight that carries. In order to be 100% you would have to consult legal advice. Since it is not listed in the criminal code I believe it to be okay, I simply make sure to conceal very well when I am in a state park as I wouldn't want to get kicked out...

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 08-14-2006, 14:44   #19
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warp
*** snip *** I simply make sure to conceal very well when I am in a state park as I wouldn't want to get kicked out...
More like having your weapon taken away and kicked out.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Old 08-14-2006, 15:20   #20
KSFreeman
Broken Member

I open carry every blue moon, usually when in transit to the range. However I do carry IWB with khaki pants and nice causal shirts. People rarely notice the pistol.
Old 08-14-2006, 16:17   #21
meeko

One of the only times I saw open carry was two kids (I call them kids) about 18 and 19 looked like brothers. Still had that baby fat in their faces. Anyway I was behind them in line at my local Dairy Queen. They were completly not aware of thier surrondings. Good thing I was not intent on ill will. Rhino knows my theory on this. I can't help it. It is drove into me from when I went to the federal firearms instructor school and my agency on a weapon retention. I really wanted to politely mention that to the kid in a productive way of course however, some people might take it wrong so I just let it go.

Last edited by meeko; 08-14-2006 at 16:20..
meeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 17:25   #22
sjstill

We stopped at Einsteins Bagels in Speedway this past weekend on the way to the range. Saturday morning, there were 3 MCSD's, and one kept giving me "the look", but I just smiled in return. I'm standing there in khakis, red shirt with Indy Parks logo, spare mags, neat & clean. Does that fit the profile of a miscreant???

Sunday morning a little guy about 10 or 11 came up to me and asked if I was a cop. I told him no. He asked what my spare mags were, and I showed him. He wanted to see one of my 'bullets', so I popped out the top one (45ACP Federal HST). He asked if I'd ever been shot in my bulletproof vest. Had to tell him no. Gave his dad my card and told them to come up and see me at the range sometime.

Did have one guy ask why I carried 2 extra mags, was I expecting a firefight or something?? I just told him it balanced out the load on my belt

Sunday evening, we went to Texas Roadhouse in Avon for dinner right after work. I did put on my vest to cover my pistol, but I still had my red "CRO" had on. One of the employees came over and asked what it meant, and I told him. May have another range customer now

As a general rule, I like to keep my gun concealed, but there's times it can't be avoided to carry open.
Old 08-14-2006, 19:58   #23
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjstill
*** snip ***

Did have one guy ask why I carried 2 extra mags, was I expecting a firefight or something?? I just told him it balanced out the load on my belt

*** snip ***
I find that my 2-way radio does indeed balance my belt and makes my G22 ride a little better.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Old 08-14-2006, 22:39   #24
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
More like having your weapon taken away and kicked out.
Care to elaborate? Taken by whom and on what authority? Then what?

Old 08-15-2006, 01:00   #25
Prometheus77
GOA - RWVA

Quote:
Originally posted by meeko
I really wanted to politely mention that to the kid in a productive way of course however, some people might take it wrong so I just let it go.
There is no way to politely do it right off the bat. People never take it right. It's like guy at the range who has to come over and the first words out of his mouth are "ya know, you'd shoot alot better if...." It's not your (or my) place to tell a stanger these things. If they shoot crappy or get their weapon snatched oh well. Tough for them (and anyone around them), they should have had better friends to clue them in.

I hardly make more than a half hearted attempt to conceal most days. I've had people tell me "this way or that way" is better or get a longer shirt yada yada. I tell them I don't care if they can see it or not. They look confused. I normally don't bother to get into the inevitable drawn out conversation of open or concealed carry.

Weapon retention is another matter however. If someone can see my weapon, it's not something their going to be easily able to grab. If it's easier to spot, it's because it's in a 'real' holster and I'm less concerned. If I'm stuffing it down my pants, like my Keltec p11 w/belt clip, you won't see it. If for no other reason than when I see a holstered gun my radar only goes off mildly. When I see someone with something just stuck down their pants, I can't help but think 'gangbanger' or punk.

I open carried last halloween in a drop leg holster at walmart. I'm not even sure the 2 cops inside the store realized it wasn't a prop. So far other than running out to get gas I don't blantantly open carry. I'm too close to the state line (Hammond, Highland, Munster area) and I honestly don't want to get harrased with the 'man with a gun' call everytime I step out of my car. Those sheeple from ILL that would call, don't give a second look to something poking out from the bottom of a shirt - must be a cell phone case?
----

Oh yeah I did see a guy in the munster target a few months ago (with his wife or girlfriend) about 20 pounds overweight wearing a skin tight tshirt carrying what appeared to be a glock 17 or 22 under the shirt in a fobus holster. Yes the shirt was that tight. Kinda scarry honestly

I was tempted to ask what model glock it was, but I refrained. I figured the onlyw ay I could say it would come across wrong. I donno if he heard my wife say as we went by "is that a glock under there". or not. She was about .5 seconds slower in noticing it. My wife hates glocks and doesn't know much about them, so for her to pick it out so well... yeah.... disturbing

FWIW I'd like to open carry more. If I had more friends willing to open carry with me I'd do it more often. I just don't like teh whole one on one or more than one on one confrontations that are possible with the locals. With multiple friends, they tend to show alittle more respect.
Prometheus77 is offline   Reply With Quote