Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-11-2006, 19:48   #1
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

Does anybody have lefty (non bolt action) weapons?

I've seen advertisements for AR15's with reversed bolts that eject to the left, and kits to reverse mag releases/slide releases/safties for pistols. Does anyone use these, or do you just adapt to use the standard weapons?
Old 11-11-2006, 20:51   #2
JMag

The AR you are likely referring to is from Stag Arms. I have not tried it out; I make do with my standard Bushy.

I have good luck with P7s, Sigs, 1911s, Glocks, and wheelguns as a lefty.

Of course, I can shoot with my right hand, about as well.

JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03   #3
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

I have always been able to manipulate (right thumb) controls with my left index finger, sometimes better than my right-handed counterparts. The only exception is the slide release on a Sig P226
Old 09-16-2008, 17:16   #4
Jeepnik

Kind of out there for this forum, but in rifles, most leverguns are southpaw friendly. New ones have cross bolt (lawyer) safeties. But, older Winchesters, and all Marlins still have the same half cock notch they've had for over a century. By the way, the side loading on a levergun is just right for southpaws.
Jeepnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 17:20   #5
chance3290
Fear Dli

Quote:
Originally Posted by B+Shooter View Post
I have always been able to manipulate (right thumb) controls with my left index finger, sometimes better than my right-handed counterparts. The only exception is the slide release on a Sig P226
I'm with you. I can operate most pistols as well, if not better,than righties. Except for the darn SIGs. Good weapons, but that dang slide stop is a bear to get with the left index finger.

I bought a Charter Arms Southpaw, .38 snub. Its ok, but I'm so used to using standard revolvers that this would just confuse me in the thick of the fray.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:21   #6
CMH

Being a Lefty I pruchased a Left hand Stag Arms AR-15. I find it is less distracting to fire it with the empties ejecting on the Left side, and not having the cases eject hitting my Right arm. I also find it quieter due to the Left side eject.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 17:46   #7
lcp

The only left hand gun I owned was a Bennilli shotgun semi auto. It was a good gun and interesting to use because I have gotten use to standard guns after all these years and a left handed gun was definitely interesting. The biggest problem with the left handed gun was when I wanted to sell it. I had alot of trouble selling due to the limited market for a left hand gun.
lcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:10   #8
edbird45

Hi fellow lefties!

I have and have had several left handed long guns. Some are bolt guns. I once took an intensive three day bolt rifle class with a borrowed righty rifle shooting it left handed and managed to get throught it fine but it was tough. Running the class again with a left handed boltgun was way easier.

I had a left handed Remington Wingmaster 870 for a while but sold it. I actually didn't like it and found that the Mossberg is easier for me to operate, load, unload, check, manipulate, everything. The lefty 870 was weird and I never warmed up to it. For shotguns I like the right hand eject, makes maniupulations easier. Mossberg's tang safety completes the picture for left handers, it's great. I ran them both through some intensive multi day shotgun training classes and ended up declaring the Mossberg the winner, but that's just me.

Semi Autos I can handle either way in long guns. I just don't like crossbolt safeties much. Military style (Think M1 and M1A) and tang-mounted safeties are easy for lefties.

I recently put some rounds through a Stag 2L left handed carbine, and liked it a lot. I shoot regular AR's with no problems, but like the left eject for this system. The ambi safety selector is a must.
edbird45 is offline   Reply With Quote