Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2006, 17:14   #1
CAcop

Lefty using right handed bolt gun?

I was thinking of buying a centerfire bolt gun to go hunting with. I wanted to go left handed but there aren't many good choices for lefties out there. I was wondering how easy (or hard) it is to adapt to a right handed gun? Is it just better to save my pennies and get exactly what I want rather than make do with a righty?
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 21:47   #2
Chinaman Dan

The Southpaw Forum

New toy I picked up today, a lefty Remington 700VSF .308, I used to have this same rifle when I lived in Maine and it was a tackdriver. it's pretty heavy to lug around for hunting, but it works well.
Chinaman Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:54   #3
alwaysshootin

I'm righthanded, but shoot lefthanded, eye dominant thing! Most of my rifles are righthanded and I guess been shooting them so long I actually manipulate the righthanded action as easy or easier then my left bolts. Not sure what exactly your looking for, but Savage makes a plethera of lefthanded guns in just about every caliber, and configuration you could possibly want. Another thing to consider is from my experience RH models hold a greater resale value, and are easier to get rid of then there LH counterparts. Food for thought, hope this helps!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40   #4
CAcop

The resale value was something I was considering too. I did not want to go all out on a lefty rifle and then have only 20% of rifle shooters to sell it to. I can see that lesson at my local gunshop where someone rebarreled a rifle to .35 Whelen in scout configuration. Even with dies and brass it hasn't sold in a year.

What I would really like is a left hand Kimber 84 in .308 because I like their light weight and they seem to be like their 1911s, semi custom. I also like it because their safety is better than Remington's (Once I read about the officer being shot after a 700 slam fired with the safety on I wanted nothing to do with them). I like controlled round feeding because it seems less reliant on luck. I do like the concept of the scout rifle and have liked the way the optics are forward like the Eotechs at work, also aperature sights are familiar. That is down the road though. If I were to have a left handed rifle built I might be temped to get a scout rifle all built up and learn to hate it and not be really able to change much about it and the resale value would be low.

What I really want to know is if reaching over the rifle with the weak hand is more trouble than it is worth? Or is having a rifle built custom too much hassle? I think it comes down to one of those things left handers have to deal with every day. Is it better to go along with the right handed world or try to carve out a left handed nook?
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45   #5
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

I've done both, but find a lefty bolt rifle does work more naturally for me as a lefty.

Browning has a pretty good selection for lefties.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...asp?value=001B

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:01   #6
G21novice

I know that a lot of people scoff at Savage due to their pricing. However I have nothing bad to say about them. I own a left handed 111 in .243 and it is my everything rifle. My target rifle is a Remington 700 RH action sitting in a left handed, laminated, glass bedded thumbhole stock, with a Hart stainless barrel . If possible I highly recommend just getting the left handed.
G21novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:22   #7
Rex G

Send a message via AIM to Rex G
For a bolt rifle, I would say get a left-handed rifle, and not try to make-do. An accomplished riflemen keeps his cheek on the stock and the buttpad on the shoulder while working the bolt, and this cannot work for a lefty having to reach over. This is for normal hunting rifles; those who shoot from a bipod or bench can use the support hand to work the bolt instead, and some shooters will prefer this set-up, as the firing hand will never leave the trigger group. Being a lefty with long guns prompted me to mostly use and shoot lever rifles. I like the Browning BLR, which is not a traditional lever rifle, and is much like a bolt rifle except that the action is worked via a bottom-mounted lever. The ammo is fed from a detachable box magazine, allowing pointed bullets to be used.
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 13:37   #8
CAcop

Sounds like it is pretty hard to go to the other side of the gun for a modern weapon. I only have an Enfield to try a RH action and it wasn't too bad but then there is no scope on that.
Old 10-05-2006, 14:47   #9
Erich

I'm a lefty who's been shooting right-handed bolt guns since I was a kid. I keep my cheek weld and control the rifle with the left hand, and I take my right hand off the forestock and work the bolt with that.

My milsurp shooting buddies are always blown away because I'm faster in accurate target shooting than they are. Practice, practice, practice.

Anyway, I've never found the need to buy a LH bolt action. I fired a few when I managed a gun store, and they work fine as well . . . it's all in how you train yourself.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 19:41   #10
flyandscuba

+1 on the Savage. I picked up a lefty Savage in .308 with a wood (not plastic) stock -- had iron sights and the Accutrigger. Very light crisp trigger pull, and accurate too. All for about $300.
flyandscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 17:32   #11
major
Rejected member

Another lefty here who has always shot right handed guns with no problem.
major is offline   Reply With Quote