SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:41   #1
CookieGirl
SE of Disorder

Inactive Reserve Callup

I just have some questions about the recently announced inactive reserve call-up by the Marines. My soon-to-be-stepson is a USMC reserve officer (Mustang!) and we know for a fact his unit is going to be sent to Iraq this fall. He is an active reservist and we've been aware of his status for a while.

I'm just curious (because I don't know how this operates) how "inactive" reservists can be called up. My understanding is that these are people who have served their enlistment or commission and have returned to lives--school, jobs, families, etc. I'm not criticizing the call-up, just wondering how this works. How can "inactive reservists" go back and rebuild a life if they're subject to recall at any time?

I would appreciate any insight and information. It's my perspective that the Marines are bearing the brunt of difficult assignments and casualties in the Middle East right now. That's so frightening, despite knowing how well-trained and prepared they are.

Thanks.
CookieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:16   #2
Kingslayer
My New Title

Re: Inactive Reserve Callup

Quote:
Originally posted by CookieGirl
I just have some questions about the recently announced inactive reserve call-up by the Marines. My soon-to-be-stepson is a USMC reserve officer (Mustang!) and we know for a fact his unit is going to be sent to Iraq this fall. He is an active reservist and we've been aware of his status for a while.

I'm just curious (because I don't know how this operates) how "inactive" reservists can be called up. My understanding is that these are people who have served their enlistment or commission and have returned to lives--school, jobs, families, etc. I'm not criticizing the call-up, just wondering how this works. How can "inactive reservists" go back and rebuild a life if they're subject to recall at any time?

I would appreciate any insight and information. It's my perspective that the Marines are bearing the brunt of difficult assignments and casualties in the Middle East right now. That's so frightening, despite knowing how well-trained and prepared they are.

Thanks.
What most people don't realize is that you don't sign a 4 year contract when you join the service, you sign an 8 year contract. Your first 4 years are active duty, the remaining 4 are in the Inactive Reserve and you are required to "check-in" once per year.

If you sign a 6 year enlistment, you still have 2 years of inactive time to serve. If you do 8 years and get out, then your clear.

As far as rebuilding a life, they shouldn't lose anything when they return from being called up. Their jobs are required to keep them employed and to promote them normally, even if they aren't there. That is a federal standard.
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 13:23   #3
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Re: Re: Inactive Reserve Callup

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingslayer
Inactive Reserve and you are required to "check-in" once per year.

You DO NOT have to make contact in once a year. You only have to call the number on the back of your ID card if... "To facilitate mobilization, members of the Ready Reserve who have a change in address, marital status, number of dependents, or civilian employment are required to report such change in status. Changes in physical condition that would prevent meeting prescribed physical or mental standards for active duty must also be reported".
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 21:45   #4
Jay D.

Everything above is true. It is an 8 year obligation, and there civilian jobs are required to re-employ them when they return. It does seem like the Marines are recieving the blunt of everything over there...but I disagree with that observation. The branch that I would not want to be a part of right now would be the Army. They are getting everything a lot harder than the Marines. Thier deployments are longer and they are recieving the majority of the casualties.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 22:01   #5
TrackerUSMC

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay D.
Everything above is true. It is an 8 year obligation, and there civilian jobs are required to re-employ them when they return. It does seem like the Marines are recieving the blunt of everything over there...but I disagree with that observation. The branch that I would not want to be a part of right now would be the Army. They are getting everything a lot harder than the Marines. Thier deployments are longer and they are recieving the majority of the casualties.
Anyone have any suggestions why?
Old 09-18-2006, 22:01   #6
semperfiostoj
Brutal Candor

Quote:
The branch that I would not want to be a part of right now would be the Army. They are getting everything a lot harder than the Marines. Thier deployments are longer and they are recieving the majority of the casualties.
+1

The Army has been getting absolutely raped in terms of IRR recalls. There's been many, many, MANY instances of soldiers being out less than a month and getting called up, or hitting the deployments back to back (to back!).
semperfiostoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 22:03   #7
semperfiostoj
Brutal Candor

Last edited by semperfiostoj; 09-18-2006 at 22:05..
Old 09-18-2006, 22:04   #8
semperfiostoj
Brutal Candor

I'm guessing because they're the "occupying force" and have quite a few more people over there which means more people getting out and more shoes to fill.
Old 09-18-2006, 22:23   #9
DMNSPD
Modified Glocks

Quote:
The branch that I would not want to be a part of right now would be the Army. They are getting everything a lot harder than the Marines. Thier deployments are longer and they are recieving the majority of the casualties.
While I agree that I would not want to be part of the Army I disagree why. In my experience soldiers (slang for the Army and NOT for the other services) lack the proper mind set and training. They are irresponsible with their weapons in a combat situation leaving them unattended, dirty, or out of arms reach. And while their standard deployment is longer on paper almost all of the Marines are serving similar times out there. I am active USMC right now and so is my best friend/child's god-father. He is on his second tour as we speak and will be deployed for a total of 14 months this time around. So the Army is not the only one stuck on long deployments. I am not trying to directly bad mouth the Army but I highly disagree that they are getting anything much worse than the Marines that could not have been fixed by better training and mindsets.

**DISCLAIMER: These are my experiences and not to be taken as the "rule of thumb".
DMNSPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:10   #10
TrackerUSMC

Aren't the Marines responsible one of the most dangerous areas in Iraq? Which area are the Marines responsible for anyways?
Old 09-19-2006, 21:36   #11
Biscuitsjam

The Marines have Al Anbar province. That's somewhere in the west of the country and has a lot of desert and such. It contains Fallujah and several other really bad areas, as well as a lot of foreign extremists trying to cross the border from Syria.

As for soldiers lacking "the proper mindset," that's a pretty provocative statement. Sure, some soldiers aren't very good with weapons, tactics, or discipline, but most of those are in non-combat roles. Maybe the Marine Corps philosophy of "every Marine is a rifleman first" means that you don't have problems with sloppy Pogues, but Army Combat Arms at least are not as you describe.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 14:41   #12
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by Biscuitsjam

As for soldiers lacking "the proper mindset," that's a pretty provocative statement. Sure, some soldiers aren't very good with weapons, tactics, or discipline, but most of those are in non-combat roles. Maybe the Marine Corps philosophy of "every Marine is a rifleman first" means that you don't have problems with sloppy Pogues, but Army Combat Arms at least are not as you describe.
We have the same problems with REMFs too 'Jam. A few weeks of ITS or SOI or what ever there calling it this week and qualifying at a BS KD course of fire doesn't make a grunt. Served with many Dogfaces from 3 ID, the 82nd, and went through sniper instructors course with some Army snipers. Good men all and all men that I'd go back to combat with any day. It's silly for anyone to make blanket statements about mind set especially when we're talking about men who are in harms way.

Last edited by Marine8541; 09-20-2006 at 16:11..
Old 10-01-2006, 05:11   #13
Grim Jackal
Secret Squirrel

Putting a side who is better....

If memory serves, if he is now an Officer, Reserve or Active, he serves at the pleasure of the President and is still a member of the Armed Forces until he requests his own resignation or is forced to resign by order of the President or some such nonsense.

I was enlisted, so don't take my word as fact on this but I believe my posting to be true, or mostly true. Ah hell, you get the point.

Semper Fi

Just a Note, every Branch of service has the "I only signed up for the college bonus" but judge the Branch of service by the Career Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Flyboys, Etc. for they are the meat and potatoes of any Branch of Service and they are the ones who take charge and lead.

Stay safe to all my brother and sisters in harms way, no matter where you serve, or which Branch you’re serving for; because in the end, regardless of your reasons, you’re Serving our Country.
Old 10-01-2006, 15:49   #14
RM

Officers are in the IRR until they resign their commission and the Government accepts the resignation. They can be called back at anytime until that point.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food and water, in the worst of conditions, day or night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. The True Believer doesn’t care how hard it is. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1600. He knows only his CAUSE.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 21:58   #15
Steve in PA

Your butt still belongs to Uncle Sam until you get that nice piece of paper that says, "Honorable Discharge" with your name below it.

As already stated, just because someone's "active" service is over, it does not mean they cannot be called up. I don't know why some people in the military do not know this. While I was active duty in the USMC I knew what my inactive reserve duty was.

And no, there is no "checking in" when you are on IRR.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:25   #16
Grim Jackal
Secret Squirrel

I was called back two times ....

...in the three years after I completed my active duty. I received a letter in the mail stating I was to report to Miramar Air Station, Ca for Duty. I did the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) out of High School so I had only 3 years 1 month of Inactive Reserve Duty.

Basically for the first two years after I got out of the Corps I had to report to Miramar Air Station one day out of each year and sit in a room while a "Mainside" WM Satff Sergeant tried to talk me and about twenty other individuals into signing back up, trying to tell us what we were missing. If she had read my SRB she would know what she had been missing.

Don't get me wrong, some of the best times I ever had were in the Corps, not all were fond memories, but I wouldn't change any of them for the World.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:03   #17
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve in PA

As already stated, just because someone's "active" service is over, it does not mean they cannot be called up. I don't know why some people in the military do not know this. While I was active duty in the USMC I knew what my inactive reserve duty was.

Who doesn't know about IR? The only person in this post that didn't understand it was the OP who is a civilian.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:05   #18
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Re: I was called back two times ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Jackal
...in the three years after I completed my active duty. I received a letter in the mail stating I was to report to Miramar Air Station, Ca for Duty. I did the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) out of High School so I had only 3 years 1 month of Inactive Reserve Duty.

Basically for the first two years after I got out of the Corps I had to report to Miramar Air Station one day out of each year and sit in a room while a "Mainside" WM Satff Sergeant tried to talk me and about twenty other individuals into signing back up, trying to tell us what we were missing. If she had read my SRB she would know what she had been missing.

Grim you got a letter and not orders? Did you get paid? Sounds like some one was screwing with you here. I have never heard of some on being recalled with out orders and for only one day....MMMMM sounds like they were pulling a scam to make you listen to their pitch. The whole point of the IR is if you still have time on your obligation they don't "ask" you to re-up...they take you.

Last edited by Marine8541; 10-02-2006 at 10:14..
Old 10-02-2006, 19:34   #19
Steve in PA

Quote:
Originally posted by Marine8541
Who doesn't know about IR? The only person in this post that didn't understand it was the OP who is a civilian.
Over in the G-N-T section awhle back there was a lengthy thread on who or what was considered "discharged". Several people, who I believe had military experience, thought like the OP, once you are no longer active duty, you are free.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 21:52   #20
Grim Jackal
Secret Squirrel

Marine8541

Grim you got a letter and not orders? Did you get paid? Sounds like some one was screwing with you here. I have never heard of some on being recalled with out orders and for only one day....MMMMM sounds like they were pulling a scam to make you listen to their pitch. The whole point of the IR is if you still have time on your obligation they don't "ask" you to re-up...they take you

No, sorry, I used the wrong Verbage. You are correct, I did in fact receive "ORDERS" aka "letter" in the mail. I've been out now for almost nine years now so my "Military terms" falter from time to time. Yes, I did get paid for the day, but I think it costed me more in gas money to drive there than what I recieved in my check.