davej77

Thousands of Marines face involuntary recall

Just saw this on CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/22/marines.ap/index.html
davej77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 14:35   #2
SW.FLA.glocker

Send a message via Yahoo to SW.FLA.glocker

No big deal, It has happened in the Army for years. The IRR is nothing new but people always seem to act suprised when it is used.
SW.FLA.glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 14:59   #3
Egyas
Troll Hater

A buddy of mine who only have 8 months left of his IRR time was recalled a few months ago. He got reclassed, and is now over in the UAE. He was also affected by "stop loss", and will be in until they decide to release him.

Founder - Illinois Glockers Club #1
Big Dawg, GOTOD, Niner's & Survival #1280
GOA Member
NRA Member
Egyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 15:48   #4
jb911

Say,mr. bush how's that thing in Iraq going ?
Old 08-22-2006, 15:52   #5
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by SW.FLA.glocker
No big deal, It has happened in the Army for years. The IRR is nothing new but people always seem to act suprised when it is used.
I was froze for almost 18 months..... It sucks. It's not that we act with surprise it's the back door draft hurts alot of guys. I was in a posistion to be froze. Some guys lost jobs, contracts on houses, what ever. If we need a draft draft.

Last edited by Marine8541; 08-22-2006 at 16:44..
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 19:22   #6
SW.FLA.glocker

I was froze as well back during the first Gulf War. I fully understand the effects on a person. One should consider these things when signing the dotted line. I realize that it does indeed "suck" when you have moved on to bigger and better things but once again it is something that one should be aware of.
Old 08-22-2006, 22:11   #7
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
I was froze as well back during the first Gulf War. I fully understand the effects on a person. One should consider these things when signing the dotted line. I realize that it does indeed "suck" when you have moved on to bigger and better things but once again it is something that one should be aware of.
I agree that we are Marines and we must follow orders but what is currently going on in the Marines has absolutely no comparrison with what was happening in '91. In 1991 we had four days of ground combat now it's not uncommon to see guys who haven't even finished their first hitch having over 700+ days of combat. Burning out our troops is becoming a concern....

Last edited by Marine8541; 08-22-2006 at 22:28..
Old 08-23-2006, 05:58   #8
SW.FLA.glocker

I did not mean to compare time periods as if they were the same. Rather, I just used it because that was my experience. I agree that we run the risk or troop burn out. I was only trying to point out that this was not a new occurance.

By the way I was not a Marine I was an Army Paratrooper. I understand that this is the Marine forum but thought that I had an opinion worth stating. I thought I should make that clear. I did work closely with the 24th MEU and some ANGLICO (sp) guys though. I even got to spend 2 weeks on the Inchon in Haifa, Isreal. A good bunch of guys.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17   #9
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:

By the way I was not a Marine I was an Army Paratrooper. I understand that this is the Marine forum but thought that I had an opinion worth stating.
Hey man just brothers from a different mother know what I mean I had the pleasure of working with at different times the 101 and the 82nd. Some of the best troops that I have ever seen. Any one who has choked on the dust and swallowed the mud is allowed to post here brother.