Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2006, 20:21   #1
sigs4all!

shorter boot camp

Hey! A buddy of mine said that the Army shortened their boot camp in order to get recruits through quicker...I googled it and could'nt find anything....just curious, anybody have any info on this?
sigs4all! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 20:27   #2
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

I talked with a recruiter who said that they actually added a week. I transferred from the Marines to the Army, so I am not real familiar with army basic. is that 8 weeks to 9 weeks?
Old 09-01-2006, 20:29   #3
sigs4all!

UUUmmm....yeah it was 8 weeks....I'm Navy bound myself and my friend was a Marine...actually he had just finished up his inactive reserve portion...he was happy because now there calling those guys up too.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:35   #4
Mterada

During the summer push it was a week or two shorter for osut. the same with airborne school, it was 2 weeks during summer instead of 3.

Not sure what they do now though, been a few years for me.

Im not certain that the shortened basic would still be going on though. My understanding was that it was from the end of high school school year until around now. He could have talked to someone returning from basic on the hometown recruiter program and they told him that their thing was shorter.
Mterada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:58   #5
ArmoredGlock

interesting... i'm shipping off monday to ft benning for bct.
ArmoredGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 14:22   #6
snoopdawg

Anybody that joins the military, especially since 9/11 shows a lot of courage!
snoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 14:40   #7
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Well the Army has been pushing "noobs" through pretty fast and the standards for training have been lowered so much that it is almost a joke.

Anyone can get in now...anyone.
No more Generation X soldiers left to join really...just Generation Y...."Why do I have to do this SGT?" "Why are we running so far?" "Why can't I get CQ on Sunday?" "Where's my promotion?"

Even the Marines are drop'n the buck on training.
But I guess it's the way it has to be.....I mean we would not have much of a military if we had to souly rely on the patriotism of "American" people.

So the government can fix that, by throwing a un-godly lump of money at new recruits who mainly have one goal....College or becoming some ******* pimp in Germany or Italy (mainly support MOS's) and don't give 2 *****'s about the country they are "fighting for".

Good thing we got lower class patriots....you know....the one's who show how much they love America by joining the military and being a patriot for all the right reasons.

Because to some America is still a Vision, and not just another damn country.
Niners Club Member - #196
1911 Club Member - #001
"All evil comes from the old.They grow fat on ideas and young men die of them."
Rally Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 15:40   #8
sigs4all!

Quote:

"Anyone can get in now...anyone."

"Because to some America is still a Vision, and not just another damn country."
The second statement is absolutly right. The first statement is by someone who obviously has'nt been down the road of trying to enlist.

Last edited by sigs4all!; 09-02-2006 at 15:43..
Old 09-02-2006, 17:28   #9
snoopdawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Rally Vincent
Well the Army has been pushing "noobs" through pretty fast and the standards for training have been lowered so much that it is almost a joke.

No more Generation X soldiers left to join really...just Generation Y...."Why do I have to do this SGT?" "Why are we running so far?" "Why can't I get CQ on Sunday?" "Where's my promotion?"

But I guess it's the way it has to be.....I mean we would not have much of a military if we had to souly rely on the patriotism of "American" people.

So the government can fix that, by throwing a un-godly lump of money at new recruits who mainly have one goal....College or becoming some ******* pimp in Germany or Italy (mainly support MOS's) and don't give 2 *****'s about the country they are "fighting for".

Good thing we got lower class patriots....you know....the one's who show how much they love America by joining the military and being a patriot for all the right reasons.

With a statement like that I sure hope your speaking from your vast experience as a veteran! As a veteran I'll be the first to point out that the military is'nt perfect and that some people join for the wrong reasons....but, we are at war and anybody that joins today should realize that they will be deployed to the war zone....they're doing 100% more than the non veteran to earn college benefits; I think that you have to give them credit for serving during the current situation!
snoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 19:25   #10
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Quote:
Originally posted by snoopdawg
With a statement like that I sure hope your speaking from your vast experience as a veteran! As a veteran I'll be the first to point out that the military is'nt perfect and that some people join for the wrong reasons....but, we are at war and anybody that joins today should realize that they will be deployed to the war zone....they're doing 100% more than the non veteran to earn college benefits; I think that you have to give them credit for serving during the current situation!
Yeah well I'm glad I speak from my vast experience as a veteran then.
1911 Club Member - #001
Old 09-11-2006, 17:39   #11
Hal9mm

talking with some of new 11Bravos and charlies coming out of OSUT, it actually sounds like a better program then when I went through. Convoy live fires, optics on their weapons, full battle rattle for all training.

at least thats my take on it.
Hal9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 21:43   #12
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

A Little Slack

Quote:
Yeah well I'm glad I speak from my vast experience as a veteran then.
I seasoned veteran knows that you keep your in-house problems
IN-HOUSE.
Gen Y troops still die like Gen X troops who still die like the Greatest Gen troops.
Let's not belittle their sacrifices no matter how they were trained. By the way, are you are still humping a pack somewhere?
Old 09-12-2006, 17:52   #13
Rally Vincent
Bipolar

Quote:
Originally posted by Hal9mm
talking with some of new 11Bravos and charlies coming out of OSUT, it actually sounds like a better program then when I went through. Convoy live fires, optics on their weapons, full battle rattle for all training.

at least thats my take on it.
Yeah well I've seen the Army's new training programs in action like the IRT course they put everyone through in Germany and it's on par with Cuba's convoy training. The habbits soldiers will develop from this terrible.

The live fires are good, but too many corners were cut to make room for this "event" training the military is so fond of right now.
1911 Club Member - #001
Old 09-25-2006, 14:26   #14
shootingbuff

They (Army) is trying a new program. The Army is attempting to weed out the smart ones and give a stripped down / cut down course (er oops I mean faster training). They are trying it in some AITs now also.

In house issues once to a point where it will blimish the Army and cause more to die needs to be aired to get the support to stop the BS. If not part of the solution then must be part of the problem.

sb
Old 09-25-2006, 15:41   #15
Squaw Man Wolfer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mterada
During the summer push it was a week or two shorter for osut. the same with airborne school, it was 2 weeks during summer instead of 3.

Not sure what they do now though, been a few years for me.

Im not certain that the shortened basic would still be going on though. My understanding was that it was from the end of high school school year until around now. He could have talked to someone returning from basic on the hometown recruiter program and they told him that their thing was shorter.

I always felt that airborne was one week too long. And that was thirty years ago!

Any man who will jump from a 34 foot tower will jump from an airplane. The closer to the ground, the scarier. Tower week was a waste of time.

Last edited by Squaw Man Wolfer; 09-25-2006 at 15:45..
Squaw Man Wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 15:40   #16
Boondocksaint37

Send a message via AIM to Boondocksaint37 Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocksaint37
Quote:
Originally posted by Squaw Man Wolfer
I always felt that airborne was one week too long. And that was thirty years ago!

Any man who will jump from a 34 foot tower will jump from an airplane. The closer to the ground, the scarier. Tower week was a waste of time.
Tower week must have been a waste of time because when I went through they bypassed it to save time. I don't recall anyone having problems when it came to jump Friar.
Old 10-02-2006, 16:51   #17
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

Could it be the Warrior Transition Course? It's used for the Blue to Green program where Airmen and Sailors transfer to the Army, or for prior Soldiers or Marines who've been out for some time. It's four weeks long and is a brush up on land nav, brm, pt, etc. It used to be at Ft. Knox, but they're moving it to White Sands. Non-Prior Service people going into the Army still go to the 9 week Basic Combat Training.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:55   #18
10-32
Here, hold this

Quote:

HEY -On behalf of all the "lower class patriots" out there being KILLED IN ACTION to protect your right to disrespect them,

STICK IT UP YOUR ASS.

To call yourself a veteran and talk the way you are about the current troops is SICK.

YOU are the problem, NOT the brave young men and women risking their lives right now.

Call yourself what you will, but a true U.S. Service veteran would NEVER talk about his bretheren that way.

You are a disgrace.

Sorry to GT, I know I'm wrong (against TOS), but it needed to be said.

Last edited by 10-32; 10-05-2006 at 02:03..
10-32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:21   #19
B+Shooter
Last Man Out!

Hear Hear!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by B+Shooter
I seasoned veteran knows that you keep your in-house problems
IN-HOUSE.
Gen Y troops still die like Gen X troops who still die like the Greatest Gen troops.
Let's not belittle their sacrifices no matter how they were trained. By the way, are you are still humping a pack somewhere?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:40   #20
RM

I have seen these supposedly less train people in action and they are performing very well.

I know we always want to look back at the good old days and say how good they were, but in reality they weren't. US troops in the previous conflicts were stuck in doing it the way we always, do stupid things like wasting hours painting rocks, etc. I would agree the discipline today is not as good as it may have been 50 years ago, but the training is much better. Our soldiers and Marines today receive more training than the elite of 50 years ago.

For what is it worth, I am a combat arms officer in the Marines with close to 20 years for the first 5 I was enlisted. I have served 4 combat tours in that times, I have been a doctrine writer and instructor and I have commanded to include command in combat.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food and water, in the worst of conditions, day or night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. The True Believer doesn’t care how hard it is. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1600. He knows only his CAUSE.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote