Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-03-2006, 09:57   #1
Liquid

Lexus or BMW

I had my heart set on the new 328 coupe. However after being in one I was not to big on the inside nor the back lights. So now I am looking at the Lexus IS. What do you guys think?

James
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 13:23   #2
DriBak
GUNS UP

Wife drives an X3 we are BMW fans but Lexus is right on their tails
Old 09-03-2006, 21:51   #3
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

Test drive them both. If the BMW doesn't speak to you, buy the Lexus.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:57   #4
commander

I looked at the IS 350 before I ordered my 335i. The IS seems smaller inside, especially the rear seating area.

Drive 'em both and then decide. The BMW speaks to me but the IS is a good ride as well.
Big Dawg, Thin To Win, Sub Club & .40 S&W Club #4577
NRA - Endowment Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 14:37   #5
.223bark

335i all the way... I'm usually a fan of toyota products but were talking king of class when bmw 3 series is mentioned. Besides its on boost
.223bark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 06:38   #6
Liquid

well i wil admit i do prefer coupes even thought i am 6'5". one of the concerns about bmws i have is quality/repairs in the latter years. currently i have a 98 accord with about 110k and it has been great. if acura had a coupe i would really look inot it. i am under the impression that the bmw is more of a disposable car when it gets older due to the expensives repairs. one of the only reasons i would lean more to the IS is becuase i plan to keep the car 6plus years. by no means am i talking bad about bmw this is just the impression i have, please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks,,
james
Old 09-10-2006, 08:23   #7
bac1023

I think Toyota makes some of of the most reliable cars money can buy. If its for daily driving, I'd go with the Lexus. Although, I do love German cars.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:20   #8
Liquid

bac i am sure has time goes on it will end up being a daily drive. my plan is to still keep my accord and use that sometimes. however i am sure that will only last about 6-12months to a year if that.

james
Old 09-14-2006, 04:46   #9
bac1023

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquid
bac i am sure has time goes on it will end up being a daily drive. my plan is to still keep my accord and use that sometimes. however i am sure that will only last about 6-12months to a year if that.

james
In that case, I'd go with the Lexus. Not that Bimmers aren't reliable, but Toyota is tough be beat in that aspect.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:21   #10
DanV1317
GlockMeBeutiful

just had this same issue with a bmw 325xi or a lexus IS. It came down to the lexus felt like it was cheap inside, and that after 10 year or 15 years, the lexus will be a junky old lexus but the bmw will still have that bmw status.

THe bmw was rock solid and while the suspension was stiff, the car just felt well built. THe lexus felt like if i worked it too hard the thing would break or some of the parts on the interior would. The lexus IS in the 250 also has a terrible motor. The thing is so slow. to get more HP you need to go to the IS300 which is like over $40k. Drive the BMW ahd you'll see how much powerful it really is.

I ended up getting the BMW and i made the right choice. It's better in almost every way except the IS is more of a luxurious car. The BMW performs like a champ.
Old 10-03-2006, 23:14   #11
Toxie

Lexi are for Women, IMHO. The Lexus (like toyota) just seems to be a car brand for people who want a car but aren't car people. BMW is just SO much more an icon brand. . .and there has to be some reason all the car rags love them to death. Test drive both! That will answer your questions far more accurately then any of us can.
Toxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:45   #12
DanV1317
GlockMeBeutiful

toyota/lexus is one of the most reliable and long lasting cars. Some of the most trucks you see with high milege are toyota tacomas. And lexus always gets the best rating for reliablity and having no problems with anything on the cars.
Old 10-04-2006, 19:00   #13
GLORIOUS BOBY

i got bmw 530.i love that car.my next car is gona be bmw again!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 20:52   #14
DanV1317
GlockMeBeutiful

right now i drive a Mercedes Benz 2005 E320 CDI which is the diesel version. The throtle is kind of odd being it a diesel, but it gets average of 34mpg average between the city and the highway.

I have a rental c280 which is the small mercedes because mine is being fixed. I really like whipping that smaller car around. it has some pep too but it just isn't good over 80 on the highway.
Old 10-04-2006, 22:32   #15
Toxie

Quote:
toyota/lexus is one of the most reliable and long lasting cars. Some of the most trucks you see with high milege are toyota tacomas. And lexus always gets the best rating for reliablity and having no problems with anything on the cars.
Relaible is fine. That dosen't change that they make BORING cars.
IMHO, BMW makes reliable, FUN cars. Why not get both?
Toxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42   #16
rich52us

Send a message via Yahoo to rich52us
BMW

I love my Z4. I have driven the 3 series as a loaner while my Z4 was in for service. Very nice ride. Responsive and handles very well.
#3014 in the Big Dawg , Kel-Tec , Sub, HK & Black Rifle Clubs. .
rich52us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:48   #17
DanV1317
GlockMeBeutiful

Quote:
Originally posted by Toxie
Relaible is fine. That dosen't change that they make BORING cars.
IMHO, BMW makes reliable, FUN cars. Why not get both?
This is true, there really aren't any toyota cars that would be alot of fun to drive, except maybe the supra if you can find one!
Old 10-05-2006, 17:08   #18
Tennessee Slim
CLM Number 93
Señor Member

There is a very large gap ...nay, an enormous chasm ...between a sporty car and a sports car.

Toyota does, from time to time, build sports cars. The last was Mister Too.

"The principal feature of American liberalism is sanctimoniousness. By loudly denouncing all bad things — war and hunger and date rape — liberals testify to their own terrific goodness. More important, they promote themselves to membership in a self-selecting elite of those who care deeply about such things.... It's a kind of natural aristocracy, and the wonderful thing about this aristocracy is that you don't have to be brave, smart, strong or even lucky to join it, you just have to be liberal."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1992)
Tennessee Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 22:00   #19
tgtshuter
Too Beaucoup

I see older model BMWs on the road quite often. Can't say the same for Lexus.

There could be several reasons for that. It's a totally subjective observation, but a worthwhile one to me.
tgtshuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 17:07   #20
DanV1317
GlockMeBeutiful

i agree. That is the thing. You see a nice old bmw or a nice old mercedez but you never see any nice old lexus's.