Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2006, 13:15   #1
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Any one know anything about EMS in Dallas, TX?

Howdy.

Does anyone knows anything about EMS agencies and oppurtunities in the Dallas, Texas area? Are there adjoining rural counties that have paramedic-level providers? General information or the possibility of transferring a North Carolina or National Registry certification would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 13:42   #2
akulahawk

Re: Any one know anything about EMS in Dallas, TX?

Quote:
Originally posted by obxemt
Howdy.

Does anyone knows anything about EMS agencies and oppurtunities in the Dallas, Texas area? Are there adjoining rural counties that have paramedic-level providers? General information or the possibility of transferring a North Carolina or National Registry certification would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
As far as job opportunities go, I have no idea. I do know that TX does have Paramedics - both certified and licensed. Try the following link: http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/hcqs/ems/scertlic.htm and since you have a National Registry card, follow the link for National Registry to Texas certificate. If you have an associate's degree in EMS or any degree in any major above an Associate's degree, you are elibible for licensure, if you hold an NREMTP card or meet certain reciprocal licensure requirements.
1911A1
Browning Buckmark
JCHiggins Model 37A
akulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 14:06   #3
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

I'm actually asking for my wife who is national registry and critical care certified in addition to having a BS degree in EM care. I am looking at enrolling in a doctoral program at SMU in Dallas but wouldn't be applying for that until early 2008, so I have some time, I'm just beginning my research.

Thanks for your help!
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.
Old 09-22-2006, 15:30   #4
akulahawk

Quote:
I'm actually asking for my wife who is national registry and critical care certified in addition to having a BS degree in EM care. I am looking at enrolling in a doctoral program at SMU in Dallas but wouldn't be applying for that until early 2008, so I have some time, I'm just beginning my research.

Thanks for your help!
Well then, your wife would have a relatively easy transitioning. As long as she keeps up the NREMT card, all she has to do is follow the application procedure for NREMT applicants. Since she has a B.S. degree and if she's an NREMTP, she should be eligible for licensure as a TX Paramedic. She would have an easier time than I would if I was to move to Texas. I would have to go through a license reciprocity procedure...
1911A1
Browning Buckmark
JCHiggins Model 37A
akulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 22:25   #5
mr fixit
Curmudgeon

I'm a paramedic in a suburb of Dallas, working for the Fire Dept.

I am not sure about the ability of transfering a paramedic certification, but i think you can show the Dept. of Health (or whatever they are this week, they recently changed names) a National registry cert. and challange the Test to get the TX cert.

As far as employment...

Most all emergency service providers are part of the Fire Dept. That's what I am. Most cities Fire deprtment personell are paramedic trained, and rotate on the box and on the engines. There are a few (3 I think) helicopter 'emergency transport' services in the DFW area, who use both a flight nurse (RN) and a flight paramedic. The air services though have, I am told, a long list of folks looking for a chance to say yes to a job offer with them.

As far as emergency responses, that is pretty much it. There are several private (for profit) ambulance services around, but they mostly handle routine (schedualed) transports. The pay is better in the emergency agencies. years ago I worked for one of the private companys, and at least then, many of the personell were not qualified to work for one of the city services or Fire Department. I'm not sure how it is now.

Moveing out of the Dallas area and suburbs to the surrounding counties:

Most outlying counties have "911 contracts" with private services. East Texas EMS based in Tyler being one of the bigger ones east of Dallas. Generally, they house a unit or units somewhere in the county, and respond to 911 ems calls, and handle routine transports to and from nursing homes and hospitals. But, agin, I think the pay is still a bit below an emergency service in the Metroplex. Many, if not most of them, run a box with one EMT (basic) and one paramedic on it. They generaly use the area volunteer fire departments as first responders, both for manpower, and to keep their response times resonable.

Oh, yeah, forgot about Fort Worth...
Fort Worth is one of the very few big cities in the Metroplex that has a contract with a private company to provide EMS. The Fire dept. doesn't do amulances. The company that does is Med-Star (commonly referd to as "Death-Star" around here, not sure why).

Hope that helps, ask more questions if I can be of any assistance.

Scott
mr fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:55   #6
FirNaTine

So what is the difference between certified and licensed paramedics?
FirNaTine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 21:20   #7
mr fixit
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by FirNaTine
So what is the difference between certified and licensed paramedics?
In reality, at least right now, not much.

In order to be a 'certified' paramedic, you must first be an EMT (basic), and then attend the paramedic training, take the state test, and then you are a "Certified" paramedic.

From the Texas Department of Health website:

Beginning September 1, 2002, a certified paramedic can apply for paramedic licensure if they have an associate degree in emergency medical services (EMS) or a higher level degree in any major. The degree must be from an institution which has been accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as an approved authority.

If you are not a currently certified paramedic, you will need to complete a paramedic course and meet one of the academic requirements listed above. You are required to meet all licensing requirements within one year from initial paramedic course completion date.

So.....

A guy with a 4 year degree in basket weaving can be a Licensed Paramedic,
But a guy with a 2 year degree in basket weaving can't.

Like I said, not much.

We have both in my department, certified, and licensed. On the street/back of the box, it don't make no difference.

I've seen both the "certified guys, and the guys with a 2 year degree in EMS and a licensed paramedic patch do wierd * * * * , freak out, and just be a piss poor paramedic, just as much as I have seen them be great paramedics.

That little piece of paper don't mean much.

Haveing said all that, I will explain that the paramedic part of the training is the same for both. They both can do the same skills, and both can give the same drugs.

So why the difference????

Now we get into the WAG area: (Wild ass Guess)

I have heard rumors that the Tx. Dept. OF health plans in the future to have broader skills or standing orders or something for the licensed guys. Some kind of "upper level" kinda thing.

Who knows?
Old 10-07-2006, 18:42   #8
TxFire

Most of the bases have been covered well.

As for the Cert vs License, I could have had either, but the Dept would not pay the extra for License so I went with Certified. No REAL difference. My dept now requires NREMT-P, but I am grandfathered.
TxFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 20:37   #9
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Originally posted by mr fixit
That little piece of paper don't mean much.
Ok, nothing said in the below rant is intended to slander Mr. Fixit, his information is good and I hope after this post his offer to help still stands, it is merely a nervous response because the utter ignorance of that statement thrills me to no end.

Many police, fire and EMS agencies would emphatically disagree; and it sure means something to me. Particularly in law enforcement hiring, a bachelor's degree is now required in many places and you are right: it doesn't matter what it is in, because (perhaps in theory) it represents perseverance, at least a modicum of intelligence and a bit of well-roundedness. It also shows that when it comes time to write a report, or articulate in court that there is a higher change that the officer/firefighter/paramedic will do so be beyond the 8th grade level.

While there are jackasses out there with no common sense, they exist both with and without degrees. The people who say "that little piece of paper don't mean much" usually don't have a degree or the facility or inclination to obtain one, and they are just trying to make themselves feel better. And before you get your panties all twisted up in a terrible knot, I can say that with extreme confidence because I used to be one of those people. I didn't start back for my BA until I was 24, after 6 years of policing, part-time fire and EMS. Before that I attended college for one semester and failed miserably. It was an embarassment. Now, a few years later, with life experience and education under my belt, I am looking at Ph.D. programs when I used to be riding around in a police car/ambulance/fire engine, thinking I would NEVER have a degree and would be dead-ended fighting drunks all life long.

I don't seek education for anyone but myself, and my love of knowledge is not based solely in the need to obtain employment. Don't be so one-dimensional. Look beyond next Tuesday, look beyond the red lights and know there's much, much more to life. If you glance behind the limitations of public safety you will see the *personal* value of a degree...and you don't have to have one to recognize it.

Last edited by obxemt; 10-07-2006 at 20:48..
Old 10-08-2006, 15:09   #10
mr fixit
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Ok, nothing said in the below rant is intended to slander Mr. Fixit, his information is good and I hope after this post his offer to help still stands, it is merely a nervous response because the utter ignorance of that statement thrills me to no end.

Many police, fire and EMS agencies would emphatically disagree; and it sure means something to me. Particularly in law enforcement hiring, a bachelor's degree is now required in many places and you are right: it doesn't matter what it is in, because (perhaps in theory) it represents perseverance, at least a modicum of intelligence and a bit of well-roundedness. It also shows that when it comes time to write a report, or articulate in court that there is a higher change that the officer/firefighter/paramedic will do so be beyond the 8th grade level.

Let me clarify that "that little piece of paper" I was referring too was the paramedic licensure paper, NOT a college degree piece of paper.

Quote:
While there are jackasses out there with no common sense, they exist both with and without degrees. The people who say "that little piece of paper don't mean much" usually don't have a degree or the facility or inclination to obtain one, and they are just trying to make themselves feel better.
Just so we are all clear, I have both a degree, and am a Licensed Paramedic.

Quote:
And before you get your panties all twisted up in a terrible knot,

Never fear, it is only a misunderstanding

Quote:
I can say that with extreme confidence because I used to be one of those people. I didn't start back for my BA until I was 24, after 6 years of policing, part-time fire and EMS. Before that I attended college for one semester and failed miserably. It was an embarassment. Now, a few years later, with life experience and education under my belt, I am looking at Ph.D. programs when I used to be riding around in a police car/ambulance/fire engine, thinking I would NEVER have a degree and would be dead-ended fighting drunks all life long.
While I agree with most of your...opinion, I have to digress a bit on this one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a cop or fireman or paramedic and "fighting drunks all life long", IF that is what you like to do. I do hope that you are not putting people who have these jobs down as being less than fulfilled in life, or not able to accomplish what you have. If so, you would be wrong.

Quote:
I don't seek education for anyone but myself, and my love of knowledge is not based solely in the need to obtain employment. Don't be so one-dimensional. Look beyond next Tuesday, look beyond the red lights and know there's much, much more to life. If you glance behind the limitations of public safety you will see the *personal* value of a degree...and you don't have to have one to recognize it.
sigh

I don't think I am one dimensional, but it sound a bit like you may be.
Of course there is much more to life than red lights and sirens, but you sound as though your opinion of people who choose this line of work is a bit low. As if they couldn't find anything else and are forced to settle for a job in public safety.

And what are the 'limitations of public safety'?

I get the feeling that it is possible that perhaps obxemt may look down at folks with a 'lesser' degree or no degree in college. I know folks like that, and that doesn't make him a bad guy, just a bit.... opinionated.

He is correct; having a college degree does show that a person has some dedication, ability, and well roundedness. But the absence of a degree does not mean a person is without those traits.

Now, back to my comment about the 'little piece of paper' that started this whole thing:

What I meant, in regards to certified paramedics and licensed paramedics, is that the difference in the two is "a little piece of paper" that says you are licensed. You go to the same schools, have the same skills, work the same shifts, everything is the same except that 'little piece of paper' that either says "Certified" or "Licensed". Thatís it.

As a paramedic, (either kind) what really matters is "am I able to help my patients?" Do I have the knowledge, skills and abilities to do my job?

On a dark night, on the side of the road, upside down in a ditch, crawling through the broken window of a car that was hit by a drunk driver, trying to get to and help the teenager(s) inside,
What matters, the only thing that matters, is can my partner (or those with us) do what we need to do to keep these kids alive and get them to the hospital. I don't care if the guys I'm working with have a PhD or barely got through the high school GED. What matters, is the person. Are they dedicated? Are they willing to give of themselves? Do they even consider race or gender, or age or anything else in their patients? Can I trust them? Will they do all they can?

As I said, a little piece of paper that says licensed or certified really don't make much difference in the back of an ambulance. It won't make any difference to the mother of the chokeing child, it won't make any difference to the children of an elderly patient in cardiac arrest, and it won't make any difference to the other paramedics that care about the person wearing the patch.

About the only people it will matter to are the hireing guy, and the (usually new) licensed paramedic with a need to try to prove he's better than someone else. That someone else is usually the 'old veteran' paramedic who really has been there and done that.

and again: no hard feelings, if you still have questions I'll do what I can.

Scott
Old 10-08-2006, 17:24   #11
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
Let me clarify that "that little piece of paper" I was referring too was the paramedic licensure paper, NOT a college degree piece of paper.
My bad.

Quote:
While I agree with most of your...opinion, I do hope that you are not putting people who have these jobs down as being less than fulfilled in life, or not able to accomplish what you have. If so, you would be wrong.
I did it for 10 years, and stereotypes are usually somehow based in experience. I have tremendous respect for people in public safety, I wouldn't have ended up there if I didn't, nor would I have married a medic; come on. But I also have seen first hand, primarily in law enforcement, the narrow and focused view of the guys who are eaten up with copdom. Believe me, the stereotype lives. The job does it to people, and I went through that stage myself. But, as I said, there is much, much more to life.

Quote:
I don't think I am one dimensional, but it sound a bit like you may be.
Ha! Yeah, that's me. I'll e-mail you some of my latest writings and prose to prove otherwise.

Quote:
Of course there is much more to life than red lights and sirens, but you sound as though your opinion of people who choose this line of work is a bit low.
Right, that's why (again) I'm married to a paramedic and I am so recently out of public safety that 95% of my "friends" and associates are still in. Actually, I miss the fire service (and EMS) desperately and feel a heartstring tug every time I hear a Federal Q.

Quote:
As if they couldn't find anything else and are forced to settle for a job in public safety.
In many cases that is true. After a few years alot of people feel trapped and unable to escape. Especially Paramedics; I've known fine medics that really belonged in a hospital setting and that's where they wanted to be, but they did resign themselves to mediocrity (even in their own estimation) because of family and financial obligations.

Quote:
And what are the 'limitations of public safety'?
Salary, hours, advancement, sometimes respect among other professionals, stress, personal health, family life, overtime, holidays, danger...

Quote:
I get the feeling that it is possible that perhaps obxemt may look down at folks with a 'lesser' degree or no degree in college. I know folks like that, and that doesn't make him a bad guy, just a bit...opinionated.
Ha! Are you serious? Read my post more carefully. I disagree with you, were that true, it WOULD make me a bad guy.

Quote:
Having a college degree does show that a person has some dedication, ability, and well roundedness. But the absence of a degree does not mean a person is without those traits.
Correct, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm a third generation Italian. My immigrant grandfather didn't make it through the eigth grade and pumped gas for a living.

I think you read a little too much into my post, which was in response to the "little piece of paper" comment, which according to you, I misunderstood. My comments were only regarding that (and the associated mentality of people who think that way) AGAIN...because I USED TO SAY THOSE EXACT WORDS!

Last edited by obxemt; 10-08-2006 at 17:35..
Old 10-08-2006, 18:22   #12
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

Quote:
Right, that's why (again) I'm married to a paramedic and I am so recently out of public safety that 95% of my "friends" and associates are still in. Actually, I miss the fire service (and EMS) desperately and feel a heartstring tug every time I hear a Federal Q.
We miss you too buddy bear

Quote:

In many cases that is true. After a few years alot of people feel trapped and unable to escape. Especially Paramedics; I've known fine medics that really belonged in a hospital setting and that's where they wanted to be, but they did resign themselves to mediocrity (even in their own estimation) because of family and financial obligations.
The money IS good, at least right now.

Quote:

Correct, I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm a third generation Italian. My immigrant grandfather didn't make it through the eigth grade and pumped gas for a living.
We learn somthing every day, my grandmother came from the old world as well.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote