Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:59   #1
bigbadglock

Tank vs. Infantry

I have decided that I want to join the Marines. I either want to be a tanker or infantry. Please explain the missions and duties of each to help me decide.

Thanks

Niners Club #1189, 40S&W Club #2389, Big Dawgs #3089
bigbadglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 16:37   #2
Willard
Who, me?

Well, in the infantry, you walk alot.

Tankers get to ride.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Seriously, good luck in the Marines, and Semper Fi!
Big Dawg #828, Niner #828, SubClub #828, 40 Club #828
Heart of Dixie Glockers 25A

I have opted-out of "Political Correctness".
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 00:33   #3
Steve in PA

Well, I was a grunt (MOS 0351 anti-tank assault) when I was in the USMC, although I cross-trained and an 0331 (machinegunner) and 0341 (mortarman).

I also did a few years in the PA Army National Guard, but as an M1 Abrahms tank crewman.

Being in the grunts was ok, actually I liked it, but not having to hump around as a tanker was a big plus. But, being stuffed into a hot tank on a hot day was not the best of days either.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:35   #4
Trason
USMC FOREVER

Tanker vs. Grunt

It all depends on what you want out of it. Tanks are the ultimate combat machine, but as a grunt, you depend more on yourself than your equipment. I was in 1st Tanks from 93-97, had the time of my life. Tanks are a tight group of people. There is alot of history just like the infanty. The main advantage of Tanks is that you ride vs. walk. You still get to shoot the M16, M243, and the .50 cal. You also get a M9 pistol. Not only that, but you get to launch 120mm of hell at the bad guys. If I were to do it all over, I still would've been a Tanker.
Just like anything else, there is BS to go along with everything. But I remember those hot days on/in the Tanks, and it beats haveing to hump in the heat when you can ride.
In fact, I do remember having to hump with a pack, .50 cal and side arm. All the way from the Armory to the Tank.....
I also remember driving through road marches as the grunts would have to inhale our exaust and dust. No wonder grunts hate us so much. It was real bad when the smoke generators would accidentally kick on while we were rolling bye. (oops)

Good luck, and no matter what you choose, you will never regret doing it!

Semper FI!

"He who shoots the most, the fastest, wins"
Trason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 20:13   #5
rugershooter

Do you want to be a big target that everyone on the other side is shooting at, or a small target that they may not see until it is too late?
rugershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 23:39   #6
Tampico
G37/G38

If it were me, I'd go tanks.

Ronald Reagan
Tampico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 13:23   #7
Kingslayer
My New Title

Keep in mind that you can never be gauranteed tanks or infantry. You can be gauranteed a job in the 1800 field or the 0300 field. The 1800 field is Tanks, Amtracks, and LARs, the 0300 field is basic infantry but it's divided up like the 1800 field. 0311 is your everyday grunt, but there are other 0300 fields that you could be thrown into.
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:57   #8
Steve in PA

When I went into the USMC, there was a bonus program ($2,500.00) for going in to the "Combat Infantry" which I believe included infantry or tanks. You would be guarenteed which ever you wanted. I went into the 03 field and ended up as an 0351.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps. Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945"
Steve in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:55   #9
Kingslayer
My New Title

That was a special circumstance and was probably for all combat fields which is pretty much 0300 and 1800. I'm guessing right after or right before Gulf War I...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:56   #10
Kingslayer
My New Title

Quote:
I was in 1st Tanks from 93-97
You weren't at 29 Palms that entire time where you? If you were, you poor, poor bastard.
Old 07-24-2006, 13:18   #11
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingslayer
Keep in mind that you can never be gauranteed tanks or infantry. You can be gauranteed a job in the 1800 field or the 0300 field. The 1800 field is Tanks, Amtracks, and LARs, the 0300 field is basic infantry but it's divided up like the 1800 field. 0311 is your everyday grunt, but there are other 0300 fields that you could be thrown into.
This isn't true at all. I did recruiting duty in GA in '93 and was NCOIC of Denver MEPS in 2001-2002. A simple call to DC personel and you can find out the projected loss for any MOS. As long as a potential recruit has the prerequsites taken care of (this can get complicated with some MOS if certain moral waivers are called for) but for an 0311/1812 it is so simple. the recruiter then finds out when an 0311/1812 designated MOS needs to ship the recruit signs up with a designated MOS of 9971 Basic Marine with Enlistment Guarantee in th DEP program. This is covered under MCO 1130.53, MCO 1130.54 and .55 and .57 if applicable. can't do it for any MOS but you can do it for 03 and 18. the feilds that this is hard to do are mainly 02-intel, 26-ele warefare, 27-lingistics, 55-music, I'll stop here I know TMI Now a recruiter may tell you that this is impossible because of the extra paper work and the USMC really prefers a field gaurentee but they can do it if they want. BTW if you're not a grunt you aint *&*^ only kidding my fellow tankers.

Last edited by Marine8541; 07-24-2006 at 13:32..
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:35   #12
Kingslayer
My New Title

That may be the case. My recruiter always said he could gaurantee the field but not the job. I wanted 1833 (amtracks). I pretty much gauranteed myself 1800 field. I knew I was color blind going into the military and for my three picks I put:

1. MP
2. EOD
3. Amtracks.

Guess which two a color blind guy isn't going to get...

We used to play some pretty harsh games with the tankers too. We have a line charge kit that holds 3 1700lb tubs of C4 on a rope that a rocket launches to clear mine fields. We had to fire it from behind an M1 tank with the mine plow attachment. We always used to tell them that these thing really weren't reliable (which they weren't) and that if it landed on the tank and we couldn't see it (which we couldn't) and hit the button it would cut their tank in half (which it would).

Then we'd launch a bare rocket and throw our tow ropes on top of the tank, wait for them to start screaming CEASE FIRE like a bunch of girls, then smack the side of the tank with a sledgehammer.

They never liked that game much...

I could go on a never ending tirade of crap we used to do to grunts in the back of our tracks.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:28   #13
Trason
USMC FOREVER

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingslayer
You weren't at 29 Palms that entire time where you? If you were, you poor, poor bastard.
Unfortunatly, Yes, the entire time...Except for the occasional trip to Del-Mar, Camp Pendelton for water ops. It wasn't all that bad. Always had a good party somewhere, not much else to do. If I were to do it all over, I wouldn't change a thing!

Old 08-04-2006, 10:37   #14
Kingslayer
My New Title

Water ops?

I spent too much time at 29 Palms. I did 2 ops there while I was at Lejeune and then did a bunch of desert testing while I was at AVTB (which is at Del Mar). We couldn't test unless it was 110 degrees.

I've done enough travel on the Washboard to mangle my kidneys...Those tanks ride like Cadillacs, AAVs don't.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:04   #15
paradoxpictures
Hey free dummy!

Heres a short excerpt from the wikipedia article on the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The main battle tanks (MBT) of the Coalition forces, the U.S. M1 Abrams and British Challenger 2, proved their worth in the rapid advance across the country. Even with the large number of RPG attacks by irregular Iraqi forces, few Coalition tanks were lost and no tank crewmen were killed by hostile fire. The only tank loss sustained by the British Army was a Challenger 2 of the Queen's Royal Lancers that was hit by another Challenger 2, killing two crewmen. All three British tank crew fatalities were a result of friendly fire.

With a tank not only do you get to ride but it sounds like the safer place to be on the battlefield.
paradoxpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 11:15   #16
Trason
USMC FOREVER

Yes, they are a smooth ride compared to other tracks. Speaking of water ops, there is nothing more scary than dropping a 62 ton lead weight off of an LCAC 50 yards off shore, praying that your installed the fording kit correctly. And no, tanks are never water proof, no matter how hard you attemt to make it so,(gurgle gurgle). I always was thankful that I was the gunner in those situations. The poor driver took a saltwater/sand bath every time.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:21   #17
Trason
USMC FOREVER

Quote:
Originally posted by paradoxpictures
Heres a short excerpt from the wikipedia article on the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

The main battle tanks (MBT) of the Coalition forces, the U.S. M1 Abrams and British Challenger 2, proved their worth in the rapid advance across the country. Even with the large number of RPG attacks by irregular Iraqi forces, few Coalition tanks were lost and no tank crewmen were killed by hostile fire. The only tank loss sustained by the British Army was a Challenger 2 of the Queen's Royal Lancers that was hit by another Challenger 2, killing two crewmen. All three British tank crew fatalities were a result of friendly fire.

With a tank not only do you get to ride but it sounds like the safer place to be on the battlefield.
Last time I checked, the US has lost 80 tanks from the beginning. Only 4 crew memebers have been lost. The 4 that died were Charlie Company 1st tanks, USMC. Their tank went off of a bridge while in low visibility. They could not get out before they drowned. From the ground reports that I have found, the Tanks are doing well with little to no freindly fire accidents on the US side.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:30   #18
Trason
USMC FOREVER

Hey Slayer:

It looks as if we have eaten alot of the same sand..Or maybe you ate most of mine. I was the lead plow tank for 2 years, I don't know if you were there, but my tank did have a miclik bind up and land on top of our tank. It blew the .50 right off the mount and our gear was scatterd every where, smouldering. The only damage we sustained was cracked vision blocks and our bussel racks were bent to #$%t. Other than that, not much happend. It really rocked our boat, but it's something to laugh about now. The good thing was we all got to go back to the rear to get new gear and a shower!
By the way...THANKS ALOT!!!(sarcasam)

Old 08-10-2006, 12:29   #19
Kingslayer
My New Title

I've literally eaten your sand. While doing the desert testing we had to do an air filter test. We put a new air filter in the AAV then drove directly behind another AAV in his dust wake in order to see how much it would take to clog the filter.

I gave up after 8 hours...It was so bad that the inside of your goggles would literally fill up with sand powder.

We had an AAV that had the miclik screw up on. They were firing over that AAV instead of a tank like they usually do. It all coiled up on top of the front AAV and caught fire. Melted the entire top foot of the AAV.

Yeah I can't blame you guys for being scared during water ops. I did high surf tests at Del Mar Beach a week before I EAS'd. 10 foot plunging surf and we're on our own, no LCAC to help. We almost rolled it. We had huge oxygen bottles inside the vehicle with us. The whole plan was that if it rolled in the surf zone and it was too shallow to get us out, we were to stay there inside the vehicle until the tide went out enough for the SEALS to come cut the rear hatch open.

It wasn't a plan I was really keen on...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:53   #20
Trason
USMC FOREVER

Ahh, the memories of blowing v-pack filters. The damn things were worse than saning drywall. One fond memory is blowing the filters after a CS gas opp. They were using the basball sized gernades that left a pile of cs powder after it ignighted, you drive through it a half hour later, and its still there. Any way, the CS powder built up in the filters and the whole tank ramp reeped the benifits, (cough, choke, gag.

My first water opp, my CO was trying out new things, the Gunny thought he was pshyco, but we tried it any way. We dropped a mine plow tank off the LCAC, plow first. Nothing like a 2 ton sinker to slow you down. We drowned the first tank, it stuck almost vertical for a few seconds, and when it went down to the tracks, the sudden rush of water on the back deck knocked the fording stacks off the intake. Water and engines don't mix. We actually tried it again, this time with a log drill log strapped on to the front of it. That worked a little better, but I believe the final judgement is that if we needed a plow on a beach opp, air lift it in.

Nothing like being a militay experement huh?