GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:58   #1
F-6

Got me a Packard - time to build a rat rod!

Went to an auction this weekend and to make a long story short, ended up with a '56 Packard Clipper for 150 bucks. Was going to e-bay the parts, but decided for the heck of it to see if I could get it running. After dropping the tank for a good cleaning, running some new fuel lines, and taking the carb of for a good cleaning, I hot wired the ignition, (no keys) and she popped right off. I can't believe how good this thing runs. Cruised around town all afternoon yesterday. Time for some flat black spray paint and PROJECT ON!!!

Hope to get some pics tonight before I work on it much more. Got the front slammed down already, will be working on the reaer suspension tonight.
F-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28   #2
beavis1957
GO GAMECOCKS!

Re: Got me a Packard - time to build a rat rod!

Quote:
Originally posted by F-6
Went to an auction this weekend and to make a long story short, ended up with a '56 Packard Clipper for 150 bucks. Was going to e-bay the parts, but decided for the heck of it to see if I could get it running. After dropping the tank for a good cleaning, running some new fuel lines, and taking the carb of for a good cleaning, I hot wired the ignition, (no keys) and she popped right off. I can't believe how good this thing runs. Cruised around town all afternoon yesterday. Time for some flat black spray paint and PROJECT ON!!!

Hope to get some pics tonight before I work on it much more. Got the front slammed down already, will be working on the reaer suspension tonight.

You better get some pics up dangit!!!!
beavis1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24   #3
F-6

Here are some pics. The 352 ci V8 sounds great. I think we will pull it out anyways to paint the engine bay. We will at least paint the motor, and might pull it apart to freshen it while it is out. The really is not much rust on the car at all. We are trying to decide how involved this projuect will get. At first was just going to paint it flat black in the driveway, through some seat covers on, new tires and drive it, but now we're thinking we might take it all apart and do a little better job. We'll see.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25   #4
F-6

side shot
Old 09-19-2006, 11:25   #5
F-6

engine
Old 09-19-2006, 11:26   #6
F-6

interior
Old 09-19-2006, 16:06   #7
salvo
Pass the ammo

Man, she's pretty clean! sweet
-- Ronald Reagan
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 19:50   #8
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

man, its great any time you get something that runs for $150, now that packard, thats friggin awesome!
Old 09-20-2006, 07:37   #9
F-6

Thanks guys. Yeah, we're pretty excited. The car is unbelievably straight for a 50 year old car. I don't think there is a single dent or ding in the body, and there is only one small spot of rust about the size of a silver dollar on the front fender. The rest of the rust is just light surface rust where the paint has faded off. It actually looks better in person than in the pics. The only problem is every night so far this week, when I get home the kids want to go for a ride, so we end up cruising around town instead of getting any work done to it. We are pushing our luck doing this because there ae no tailights. But I love it, the reason I sold my harley and wanted to get an old 4 door is so the wife and I could still have something we enjoy, but was more family friendly. I think it is going to look great when it's done, and we're not going to have much money into it. I'm thinking flat black with flames, red wheels with fat whitewall tires. Your basic rat rod look. That way we can do the body work and paint ourselves because flat black is pretty forgiving. This is going to be the ultimate low buck build. No show car, just a fun cheap hot rod.