Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-09-2006, 20:22   #1
PrincessTaurus

Cat allergy question?

My boyfriend had a really terrible allergic reaction to my house in April due to the cats. I am down to ONE kitty named Skywalker. The others went to my ex. who really wanted them anyhow.

Skywalker, the cat, is being relocated soon to either my boyfriend's mom's house or my best friend's.

My question is what can I do to get rid of the allergens? Is it possible? Will my house always make my boyfriend sick? Short from selling my home, is there any hope?????

He broke out in hives and everything.

I think my bedroom is o.k. now. I've steam-cleaned everything and just disinfected, etc.... That was the only room he was o.k. in. He hasn't come over since. I've been going to his place instead.

I'm sad, both ways.

I NEED to get my home safe for my dear, sweet boyfriend cuz he's really that important. But, I'm sad about my cat too.

If anyone has suggestions....let me know. I'm worried about the garage - where the litter boxes were and the downstairs couch which caused a major allergic response.

Boo hoo.....
PrincessTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:09   #2
Armed&Feminine
Adhuc vivo!

I wish I had some good advice. I would call the pros in to steam the carpets. I would also put a good mattress cover on the beds.

Obviously any soft surfaces that can be washed should be washed. You may have to get rid of the couch and other upolstered pieces.

You will also want to vacuum very well and wash all solid surfaces. Yes this includes the walls, baseboards, cabinets, EVERYTHING. I believe there are products on the market that are designed to help the problem your boyfriend is having, but if not, there is always bleach, diluted.

I'm very sorry that you find yourself in this situation. I wish there was a better answer, but it would seem that he is VERY allergic.

Petroleum and it's byproducts should not be a dependency in a technology based society. Nothing lasts for ever and we cannot ask God for our gasoline!
Armed&Feminine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:23   #3
lexmedic157
Citizen

Send a message via AIM to lexmedic157
I am allergic to cats too, and when I visit my GF's parents I can't breathe. At night I sleep in a room with an Ionic Breeze air cleaner. That thing works wonders. I would go with the advice listed, and do something that cleans the air too.
VCDL Member كافر
NRA Member
lexmedic157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30   #4
ShipWreck
FN & HK Fanatic

I am super allergic to cats. During my last allergy test, they stopped the reaction on my back because there was no point in letting it go further.

When I was in college, I dated my 1st wife, and she had 2 cats at their home. Her mom and her tried to make a cat proof room, and cleaned and such. But, my asthma was not the same for over 3 years even AFTER I quit going inside that home. After we got married and got our own place, I never went inside her mother's home again. I always had to sit outside. I also never enter anyone's house if they have a cat. I stay outside.

My allergists told me that cat dander can remain active for up to 12 years. He told me that even if my mother-in-law (now, ex mother-in-law) took a hosepipe and washed out the entire house (if it were possible), I would still have issues. Its up in the A/c ducts, etc.

Shots can possibly help to some degree, but there is no cure. While it isn't what U want to hear - there is probably nothing U can do to eliminate the issue to him completely - U'd have to get rid of all your cats and move. But, it could HELP if you got rid of the cats (all of them), get the carpet cleaned, wash EVERYTHING in your place (all clothing, curtains, etc).
ShipWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01   #5
PrincessTaurus

Thanks for all your help. Uggghhhhh.... I have gotten rid of the cats, except one who is on his way to a new home in a couple of weeks.

I super cleaned my bedroom/bathroom. Next is the guest room. THEN, after the cat moves into his new home, I guess I'll do the REST of the house and bleach water the garage.

I can't afford to sell the house and move - yet...

I will get air ducts cleaned professionally and steam clean the carpets, etc...

I will also look into air filters/cleaners. Especially for the bedroom.

Bummer.....

Obviously, the man is worth way more than the pets staying at my house, but I can't get rid of the house. It's a great house and what I can afford at the time. To reinvest in our market is insane...

Keep the advice coming. It might not be what I want to hear, but it's what I need to hear.
PrincessTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:11   #6
ShipWreck
FN & HK Fanatic

Glad U are putting the effort in.
ShipWreck is offline   Reply With Quote