Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2006, 15:30   #1
Dan in Alaska

Alaska Fishing Pictures

Despite some bad weather and outboard troubles this season, I managed to get on the water and enjoy a lot of what an Alaskan summer can offer. We had lots of family and friends visit us this year. We had many new and repeat visitors at the house. My wife and I love living in Alaska, and we like to show it off.

Seward was a favorite fishing location this year. I found some new halibut spots this year, and we managed to catch a couple over 100 pounds. Here are a couple of fishing buddies with a tag-team 100-pound butt.
Hunting, Fishing & Camping

We also found a lot of ling cod out of Seward this year. I usually find them hanging out under schools of black rockfish. A 16-ounce dinner invitation usually does the trick. These toothy beasts are a hoot to catch and taste good too!

Ling cod must be 35" or longer to be legal in many Alaskan waters. Here's my brother-in-law with a fine example of a legal Alaskan ling.

Here's a dandy yellow-eye rockfish. I really try to avoid catching these guys, since you can't release them after bringing them up from 200 feet. They are tasty and pretty to look at, but I would rather catch the smaller, faster growing black rockfish.

I finally broke my boat's "One-King-Curse" this year. Before this year, I've never landing more than one king on a single fishing trip. My buddy Mike put and end to that awful tradition with a simple metal jig.

A loyal band of fish assassins helps make a successful fishing trip.

My dad comes up every summer. We all used to fish a lot as kids, but now he only fishes when he's up here with me. I tell ya, there's nothing worse than a spoiled fisherman. We hit the red run pretty hard this year. Here's a limit of sockeyes from Bing's Landing, near Sterling.

Whittier can also have some nice silver salmon fishing from shore. Here's a view of the small boat harbor in September.

As much as I like catching fish, I always get a kick out of the kids reelin' 'em up. They have a sense of appreciation and excitement few adults can match. Here are my niece and nephew with a couple of nice Seward Silvers.

And finally, the scenery in Alaska is second to none. Even when the fish aren't cooperating, a day on the water is a joy! Here's Redoubt, gracing the evening skyline overlooking Cook Inlet.
Dan in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 15:39   #2
Armed&Feminine
Adhuc vivo!

WOW!! Thank you for posting!

Petroleum and it's byproducts should not be a dependency in a technology based society. Nothing lasts for ever and we cannot ask God for our gasoline!
Armed&Feminine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 18:11   #3
glocka

Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure.
glocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 22:20   #4
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

That yellow-eyed rockfish is so sweet looking. I understand that it sucks that you can't release them. Does the difference in water depth destroy their swim bladder? Anyways many beautiful fish. That yellow-eye is my fav though.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:14   #5
Sharker

Thats awesome. I also was wondering about why you cant release the yellow eyes? We regularly bring large snapper and grouper up from those depths, and if they are throw backs, we just insert a hollow steel rod (basically its a large hypodermic needle) into the fish (there is a trick to doing it) and the air seeps out and the fish is released (usually only to be eaten by a barracuda).
But wow, one day I am going to get to Alaska. Its been a dream of mine for years, but for now I will have to enjoy the pics.
Please keep them coming.
Sharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:29   #6
Dan in Alaska

Yellow-eyed rockfish do not have a vented swim bladder. When they are brought up from great depths, their swim badders expand to the point that their stomachs are pushed out of their mouths. I have heard about techniques for "popping" the air bladder to release the fish, and I have heard conflicting reports as whether or not it is effective, meaning the fish dies anyway. The fish's eyes are also damaged. If a yelloweye is brought up from 300' or so, their eyes bug out, as if they are on stalks. I don't think the eye damage can be fixed.

Irregardless, Alaska state law says you can't release them. Once they are caught, they are part of your bag limit. In the saltwaters around Seward, you are only allowed one yelloweye per day. We try to avoid catching yelloweyes (and other non-pelagic species), so we can catch more black rockfish (a pelagic species). Black rockfish are usually caught in shallower water, and if they are caught in water 60' or shallower, they can be safely released. The limit on black rockfish is 5 per day, instead of only one.

Yelloweye are a beautiful fish, and they are fun to catch, but they grow very slowly. The one in the picture was close to 20 pounds, and it was probably over 50 years old. By comparison, black rockfish average 5-10 pounds and are usually much younger.

Here's more information:
http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...gfrockfish.cfm
Old 10-12-2006, 17:47   #7
Los Suenos
JSC

Nice. Is the flatty fishing good in July? Thanks for the report.
Los Suenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:42   #8
Sharker

Dan, what happens when you have caught the boats bag limit on Yellow-eyes, and then you catch another one?
Thats amazing that its that old. The fish up there are so different in shape compared to the fish around my parts.

The world is an amazing place.
Sharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 15:07   #9
Dan in Alaska

I try to use very large jigs (16-24 oz), or stay off the bottom a bit to avoid catching yelloweyes, but we still catch them. When we start hooking yelloweyes, I tell people we only get one each, and then we are done bottom fishing - for everything. We might troll for salmon or something, but we're done bottom fishing. I have no idea what the fine is for having too many fish, but I am pretty sure I don't want to find out! I have too much money invested in the boat and fishing gear to risk it. I can always go back tomorrow and catch more fish.
Old 10-13-2006, 15:08   #10
Dan in Alaska

Los Suenos,

The halibut fishing starts getting really good at the end of May and continues through August. I've caught my largest fish in July and August.
Old 10-13-2006, 16:33   #11
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Oh man, looking at those pics really makes me long to return to AK. I have such fond memories of the Russian River, and other areas.

Nice work, some great catches.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote