Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:33   #1
Ship A'Hoy
Trigger Control

Army tones down drill sergeants

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061010/...huBHNlYwNtdHM-

WASHINGTON - Hollywood may have to tone down its portrayal of the military's screaming, in-your-face boot camp drill sergeant. In today's Army, shouting is out and a calmer approach to molding young minds is in, says the head of Pentagon personnel. The Army says it has reduced by nearly 7 percent the number of recruits who wash out in the first six to 12 months of military life.

"Part of it is changing the nature of how it treats people in basic training," David S. Chu, undersecretary for personnel and readiness, said Tuesday.

That means "less shouting at everyone, in essence, which some of you may remember from an earlier generation as being the modus operandi," he said.

The changes started about a year ago, as defense officials looked for ways to make drillmasters more effective, said Lt. Col. Mike Jones, head of Army National Guard recruiting.

He said the old way was to "talk loud, talk often, get their attention" — shock treatment to teach discipline and mold the newly recruited civilian into a soldier.

But trainers found today's generation responded better to instructors who took "a more counseling" type role, Jones said, using strong tactics when needed but keeping them the exception instead of the rule.

The approach has had two positive results, he said: It has lowered attrition among those who go through training each year and has eased one of the greatest fears of recruits — their fear over whether they can make it through basic training.

Other changes aimed at improving graduation rates include such things as letting recruits with injuries or minor medical problems remain in the service, heal, and then go back to training. Before, an injury would have meant discharge, training officials said.

Numbers differ from service to service and depend on what the recruit is being trained for. Those training to be Navy SEALS or other special forces may wash out at the rate of 70 percent. Those training to be truck drivers may have an 80 percent graduation rate.

But Chu said that across all services, generally, some two-thirds of recruits finish their enlistment period — typically three or four years.

Of the third who don't make it, half bomb out in the first six to 12 months, Chu said, adding that the attrition rate is better than most private sector firms.

Keeping a balance in the number flushed out of the service is important. Too many dropouts and you lose people you really want to keep. Too few dropouts, and you are keeping people you should have let go, Chu said.

Both the military and police academies are moving away from harder-edged approaches to training, he said.

"However much it may be satisfying from the shouter's perspective, it really isn't the best way to shape young people for the future," Chu said.

He made the comments as he announced that all active duty services had met their recruiting goals for the budget year ended Sept. 30. The Marine Corps Reserve met its goal and the Air Force Reserve exceeded its goal, but they were exceptions among guard and reserve forces, some of which have seen "heavy use" due to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Chu said.
Speed is fine, accuracy is final.
Ship A'Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:25   #2
gunsite
CLM Number 227
Charter Lifetime Member

What’s next... adding “ PLEASE “ to their commands.
Old 11-05-2006, 20:42   #3
speepdaedeesi

I actually just graduated a.I.t. For m.o.s. 88m or truck driver. I graduated 11.13.06 and I graduated basic training at ft leonard wood mo. 9.8.06. I have read many articles about the new ''softer'' army, and I have to say, I didn't see it. The drills were constantly in peoples faces yelling and cursing. I'm 24 and really never had a problem, but I was constantly amused at the 18 yr olds flinching in terror when a ds was in their face. Boot camp for me was pretty hard, and I lost 40 lbs. There was an occasional mention from the drills that they weren't supposed to curse anymore, but it was usually followed by " but I don't give a f!@#$ sh#$". A.I.t was a little more relaxed in el paso tx. And we even received 24 hr off post passes from sat 1300 to sun 1300, but they were often taken away. Our last pass before graduation was taken away because there was a giant turd unflushed in the latrine during a batallion walkthrough. I agree its easier than the days of 0 sleep and hitting and all that, but it wasn't easy. I noticed it said truck driver had an 80 percent grad rate, and wanted to note that out mos is in the top 5 most needed in the sandbox right now. Ieds and all have made it a dangerous mos most don't want to do....
Old 11-16-2006, 16:48   #4
Sam White
Silver Membership
I miss you bud

I graduated AIT for 92A 5-15-2003 and that's exactly how it was for us. I kept hearing how sissified the Army was and how they couldn't swear at us, etc. but my drills made a point of yelling/swearing/smoking us/etc. for that very reason. It wasn't what my Dad went through back in the day but it was tougher than many make it out to be.
Sam White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 21:44   #5
sts47

Remember, it's good for you. =)

No matter how you see it, it's for YOUR benefit.

Ahh good old Ft Lostinthewoods, Misery

I went through there back in January 2000. Fond memories.
Disclaimer: While this post is intended to inform and/or entertain, it may annoy some readers. Read it only if you agree to waive your right not to be annoyed by anonymous internet communication. If you do not agree, please do not read this post or any other signatures by this author.

Last edited by sts47; 11-18-2006 at 21:49..
sts47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 21:30   #6
Glock 21 Dan
NRA Member

I went through Combat Engineers AIT at Ft. Leonardwood in late 1966. The DI's were really in your face in those days. You got it right or there was a very real possibility of being hit and hit hard.
Glock 21 Dan is offline   Reply With Quote