SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:48   #1
aguyindallas
Glock Rocker

Ohio Duck Hunting

Well, in 7 days, I will find myself in NE Ohio duck hunting with my father in law. I have never been duck hunting in my life. The only birds I have shot were dove and I was only 12, and of course, not very good at it.

Can anyone give me any shooting tips?
Lone Star Glocker #549
aguyindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:04   #2
eagles405

Hit the skeet range a couple times this week. Ducks don't fly like skeet but it is the best practice I can think of. Other tips are; be SAFE, have fun and enjoy the time with your father. Post pics of your trophies when you get back please.

eagles 405
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08   #3
aguyindallas
Glock Rocker

I wish I could get to the skeet range this week, but time just wont allow. I suspect there will be a whole lotta missin goin on, lol.
Lone Star Glocker #549
aguyindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00   #4
mpol777
Feral Member

Where in NE Ohio are you planning on hunting? Ponds, marsh or on the lake?

The lake will be mostly pass shooting... mostly. If you're layout shooting, it will be fast. The birds will be in commute mode and the time you have from when you sit up 'til your shot is small. Also expect longer ranges.

Marshes just off the lake will depend on the weather. A blue bird day will see a lot of ducks sticking to the big water, whereas a south wind will push them to the cover of the marsh. Then it will depend on your set and the marsh you're hunting. Pick out a few landmarks before full light to get yourself a gauge on distance. If the weather is right there will be a big morning flight as the ducks move to feeding grounds. You'll hear the murmur before sunup and the games will begin. About 20 minutes of non-stop action and, depending on where you are, thousands of birds in the sky. If that doesn't get your blood moving, check your pulse.

Ponds normally get more ducks landing. Easier shooting as you can hit them as they land. They'll stall as they come in and provide an easy shot and a good chance at a double as the rest pull up the landing gear and try to gain speed. Just don't pop one in the breast when it flairs. The best shot there is if they come over you and you can shoot right through the back.

If you need ammo, spend the extra bones on Bismuth over steel. There are other 'heavy shot' loads as well, but Bismuth works as well as anything that isn't lead. A couple boxes of #4's and a box of BB's in case you get a chance at some geese.

Swing through and have fun.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41   #5
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Re: Ohio Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally posted by aguyindallas
Well, in 7 days, I will find myself in NE Ohio duck hunting with my father in law. I have never been duck hunting in my life. The only birds I have shot were dove and I was only 12, and of course, not very good at it.

Can anyone give me any shooting tips?

Tip #1.... Let your Father In Law out shoot you !

I have realitives (on my wifes side), up there in NE Ohio. I never been there, but i hear their 'hunting story's a plenty.' I would say your headed for a good huntin spot for the ducks, according to what they say, good luck, and have fun!

mpol777, gave you a truck load of 'very good' advice. Let us know how you came out there Hoss.

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote