Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:28   #1
joereynaldo

Remington model 597 rifle, .22lr

Even over here in the Philippines, the Ruger 10/22 is well-known and has a fanatic following.

I've handled one and I can say that it indeed lives up to its reputation.

However, I've also seen displayed here the Remington Model 597 rifle. It's also a .22LR but I've got no friends who own one nor have I seen it around as often as the 10/22.

Can you tell me about it? Is it as good as the Ruger? Does it have its own quirks?

I could be getting one this Christmas.
joereynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:27   #2
md2lgyk

Never heard of it until this thread. I like the looks. I've owned a couple of bolt-action Remington .22 rifles in the past and had no complaints about them. The price seems to be about what I paid for a 10/22 maybe 25 years ago.

There is apparently a heavy-barrel version I really like to check out.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 11-21-2014 at 09:32..
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57   #3
antimatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Never heard of it until this thread. I like the looks. I've owned a couple of bolt-action Remington .22 rifles in the past and had no complaints about them. The price seems to be about what I paid for a 10/22 maybe 25 years ago.

There is apparently a heavy-barrel version I really like to check out.
I've had a 597 in .22 WMR for at least a decade. Got it used with a monster scope on it and use it to plink groundhogs on the family farm. Haven't shot it a lot in the last few years, although I did drop a groundhog on the first shot at about 100 yards a couple months ago.
I seem to remember some issues with cold bore/warm bore shot placement, but other than that (and the lack of extended mags for it, at least in .22 WMR) I wouldn't part with it.
I don't know if they can be tuned and tweaked as much as a 10/22, so if that's your thing you might want to do more research into aftermarket accessories.

Matt
antimatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 13:54   #4
VoodooMountain

They are great little guns. Very accurate. Better trigger than the Ruger as well. Just make sure you have the updated mags for it (gen 3 I believe).

The older ones had some feeding issues, but that has been sorted out some time ago.
VoodooMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 15:43   #5
md2lgyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimatter View Post
I've had a 597 in .22 WMR for at least a decade. Got it used with a monster scope on it and use it to plink groundhogs on the family farm. Haven't shot it a lot in the last few years, although I did drop a groundhog on the first shot at about 100 yards a couple months ago.
I seem to remember some issues with cold bore/warm bore shot placement, but other than that (and the lack of extended mags for it, at least in .22 WMR) I wouldn't part with it.
I don't know if they can be tuned and tweaked as much as a 10/22, so if that's your thing you might want to do more research into aftermarket accessories.

Matt
No idea it had been around that long. But my focus the last 25 years or so has been handguns. I wondered about aftermarket stuff for it - I've been wanting to try smallbore silhouette shooting where the 10/22 seems to be king.
Old 11-21-2014, 16:10   #6
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I bought one back when they first came out, 1998-99 or so if I recall correctly. Mine was at the time the most expensive model you could get. The LSS model I had was a huge piece of junk. You couldn't make it through a complete magazine without the gun choking. I tried numerous brands of ammo to no avail.

I traded it off for something else.

My Dad bought one at the same time. His was the cheapest blued model with poly stock. His was nothing but reliable. They have had 15 years to work out the bugs, but I still have the bad taste of the LSS in my mouth.

Go Ruger.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 19:12   #7
mjw357

I'm pretty happy with mine. Bought it 3 years ago maybe, Dicks was running some black friday special. Took them forever to get the scope sighted in when I bought it. I found out why it took them so long. There is a screw that secures the barrel to the receiver that was loose, I couldn't get the thing to shoot to save my *****. I took the stock off to investigate and cleaned it. After torquing that screw down, shoots great, no issues.
Old 11-21-2014, 21:03   #8
md2lgyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw357 View Post
I'm pretty happy with mine. Bought it 3 years ago maybe, Dicks was running some black friday special.
How timely. Black Friday is nigh and there's a Dick's just up the road. Maybe an early Christmas present??
Old 11-22-2014, 02:29   #9
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I had one. Good little rifle. I used it when I didn't want to take my Ruger DSP 10/22's out in bad weather. I made some long shots on squirrels with that rifle.

I rated them about the same performance wise, with the edge to the Ruger DSP for good looks. The 597 I had had the plastic stock, so looks really wasn't a fair contest.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:13   #10
mac66
Plant the seed

The 597 has been kind of a between gun...between the Marlin 795 and the Ruger 10/22 in both quality and price. Back when the 795 was around $130 and the 10/22 was around $200 it could be found firmly in the middle.

As a rifle instructor I saw some on the line and none were very reliable. The problem with them was the magazine and I and others avoided them because the mags were unreliable. In the last couple years however Remington fixed the mags and we started seeing them work well. One of our other instructors bought a couple of them and they are remarkably accurate.

I finally ponied up last year and found a heavy barrel version with a scope at one of the chain stores (Dunhams) for $200. It is a tack driver equal to some of my custom 10/22s for a fraction of the cost.

So I say grab one if you can find a deal on them, they are a real sleeper and a great bang for the buck.

BTW, I don't know what they cost in the Phillipines but in the US, PSA is selling a regular version with sights for $169.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...20-barrel.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 11-22-2014 at 08:16..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 20:21   #11
ede
Bama's Friend

I've seen them 597 used in Rimfire matches and most were not 100% reliable. I bought one when they first came out and have had several that I used informally around home with no problems.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 16:17   #12
md2lgyk

I finally quite waffling and bought one - the heavy barrel version with scope. It was $229 at Dick's, on sale Sunday only. Hope to wring it out soon when the weather warms a bit.
Old 11-24-2014, 16:44   #13
googanelli

I've had mine since 1999. It's been very reliable and accurate. I've done some tinkering through the years. It has eaten all types of ammo. I'd recommend the 597. I'm looking for a second to put some tech sights on. The first I turned into a vtr style gun that takes all the ar parts. It's been a blast in this configuration.

Joe
googanelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 18:22   #14
joereynaldo

To my American friends, thank you. You advice will be very useful.

Proud to be part of this forum.
joereynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 00:45   #15
stevemc

Being left handed, I bought the TVP model. I would recommend it to anyone.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:37   #16
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
Check out RimfireCentral.com. They've got subforum devoted to the 597, and that subforum has a stickey wtih all the "best" threads on the 597 gathered together. Lot's of information there.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Now, don't let what you read there panic you unnecessarly. A lot of the stickey stuff is old. Back when they first came out the 597 did have a fair number of teething pains but they've gotten most if not all of them worked out at this date. Still it might be handy to know where to find information about problems and how to correct them if you do experience them.

For example, you'll see a lot discussion about which magazines are the "good" ones, and which to avoid. Well, I'll bet you couldn't find one of the "bad" magazines at this date if you went looking for one. I never saw one anyway.

Enjoy your 597. They're good little rifles.
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; 11-29-2014 at 01:42..
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote