Important Notice: The site is currently being upgraded to a new software system. This process could take a day or two to complete. During that time, we are going to leave the site up here, on its old software. WHAT GETS POSTED HERE DURING THIS TRANSITION WILL NOT BE COPIED OVER ONTO THE NEW SITE, WHEN THE UPGRADE IS COMPLETE. When we swap over, the content posted while this message is visible will be lost. We wanted to give you folks a place to hang out and talk while we worked though. We will let you know when we are finished. Please pardon the inconvenience, during this transition.

Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2015, 20:54   #1
DAKA

Sub sonic to scare off foxes at night.....

Sub sonic 22, what exactly does that mean....how loud are they?
I know it's hard to describe, loud pop?
I was walking my dog (little terrier) a while ago and saw a fox, I had heard that were foxes in the neighborhood.....I'm taking the residential part of Fort Lauderdale near the Intracoastal....pretty high end area.
It did not run from me when I yelled at it...a bit scarry..
I was thinking to use my NAA mini revolver to scare them off, but at 11 pm, I'd probably get a Police response ????

Last edited by DAKA; 04-23-2015 at 20:55..
DAKA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 13:31   #2
plp

Buckmark, suppresor and sub-sonic ammo. It is essentially a single shot as the charge isn't enough to cycle the slide, but it does work.

If it wasn't afraid, it is either sick or acclimated to humans. Either one is not good. Call Animal Control and report it, am sure they would like the change of pace from fishing gators out of swimming pools.
plp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 13:36   #3
wlkjr

Subsonic is less than 1050 feet per sec. Doesn't have that loud crack. I'd suggest getting an air pistol.
wlkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 13:46   #4
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
When you suppress it air rifles are louder and it turns a semi auto into a single shot. But if you live in a HIGH END area I bet your neighbors will have a lot of complaints into the police. I would get a can of OC spray. If the fox isn't afraid of you and gets close, squirt it. No stray projectiles to worry about, police, and it will scare the fox of and the effects will ware off after an hour or so.
wolf19r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 15:30   #5
DAKA

I really do not want to hurt the animal, I would only use "force" if it started toward me...actually my little terrier...he has that little dog complex, thinks he's a German Shepherd.
Probably a spray would be best...
DAKA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 16:09   #6
Dontgetdead

Send a message via AIM to Dontgetdead
No such thing as a warning shot. Either shoot it, or don't. Plenty of ways to make noise without a gun. Call the local police or wildlife rescue. I'll just about guarantee there are a group of locals that help with such things. Often they work with the local authoritys (police sheriff, conservation dept etc.)
Dontgetdead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 17:58   #7
Faulkner
Patriot

Some of you guys are doing something wrong with your suppressed semi-autos and subsonic ammo if they won't cycle. All of my threaded .22 semi autos operate just fine suppressed with subsonic ammo, including a Buckmark, Ruger SR22, Ruger MKIII, and Walther P22.

Now, if you are using CCI "Quiet" ammo, that's a different story because they won't cycle anything.

Also, the only reason to be frightened by a fox is if it's rabid.

Rimfire Forum

Last edited by Faulkner; 04-24-2015 at 17:59..
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 18:12   #8
FireForged
Millenium #3936

I am not a proponent of using a firearm as a noise maker to "scare" something
Old 04-25-2015, 06:21   #9
CBennett

geesh id but a bunch of firecrackers first from the local kids...using a gun to "scare something off"? no thanks....hell buy a blank starting pistol and use blanks if thats what your interested in..or a cap gun...

Last edited by CBennett; 04-25-2015 at 06:21..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:17   #10
tobby

I bought a few boxes of "Slap Clappers" at a fireworks stand last year. They explode on impact so you don't have to light a fuse. They are almost as loud as a .22 LR but are harmless. I use them with a slingshot to make bunnies feel unwelcome.

Tobby
tobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 21:35   #11
Current Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
Some of you guys are doing something wrong with your suppressed semi-autos and subsonic ammo if they won't cycle. All of my threaded .22 semi autos operate just fine suppressed with subsonic ammo, including a Buckmark, Ruger SR22, Ruger MKIII, and Walther P22.

Now, if you are using CCI "Quiet" ammo, that's a different story because they won't cycle anything.

Also, the only reason to be frightened by a fox is if it's rabid.

Rimfire Forum

I am curious to see your tutorial on how you got a P22 to cycle sub sonic ammo. Mine is 100 percent reworked and though it feeds flawlessly it won't cycle anything but high velocity. Nice job, post it for us in a new thread please.

If you don't own, have never shot, never carried a PF9, then SHUT THE FRONT DOOR, MINE GOES BANG EVERY TIME! Elwood
Current Resident is offline   Reply With Quote