Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2015, 22:48   #1
shadowhunter

Bulk 22 ammo prices

Are the boxes of bulk packed 22 ammo still hard to find. What are they selling for.
Old 04-07-2015, 22:53   #2
btefft

My brother-in-law found some Winchester 22 LR at Walmart just the other week. He said he remarked on how scare it was and the clerk said "There's a box right there."

And the rascal didn't even buy me a box or two.
btefft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 22:55   #3
shadowhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btefft View Post
My brother-in-law found some Winchester 22 LR at Walmart just the other week. He said he remarked on how scare it was and the clerk said "There's a box right there."

And the rascal didn't even buy me a box or two.
Do you have any idea what it is selling for.
Old 04-07-2015, 22:59   #4
btefft

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowhunter View Post
Do you have any idea what it is selling for.
Not at the moment, I'll try to remember to ask him tomorrow.

Last edited by btefft; 04-07-2015 at 23:17..
btefft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 23:00   #5
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

I haven't been able to come across it at Wal Mart, but at other shops as scarce as I've seen it, three times in maybe three years, 18 cents a round is common.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 23:11   #6
shadowhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpeachObama View Post
I haven't been able to come across it at Wal Mart, but at other shops as scarce as I've seen it, three times in maybe three years, 18 cents a round is common.
Pre Obama I used to grab a big box of the bulk 22 every time I went grocery shopping at Walmart. I was popping open ammo cans and counting all of it. I was trying to figure out what it is selling for.
Old 04-07-2015, 23:28   #7
Railsplitter

Quote:
Are the boxes of bulk packed 22 ammo still hard to find. What are they selling for.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the American ammo manufactures for stepping up to the plate and supplying American gunners with .22 ammo after the tragedy of 2012. I would like to, but I can't because they haven't! To late into the game for excuses....anyone want to start a new ammo company!
Railsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 23:37   #8
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the American ammo manufactures for stepping up to the plate and supplying American gunners with .22 ammo after the tragedy of 2012. I would like to, but I can't because they haven't! To late into the game for excuses....anyone want to start a new ammo company!
One way I have reasoned with this is if you were a supplier and could make .05 22 ammo, or 40 cent 40 cal or 35 cent 9mm, which one would you prefer tying up your production lines to? For maybe two years, they couldn't make enough, period. Now there is ammo in the pipelines, except for 22 because maybe their cost to make it these days is too high. Just a thought to ponder on.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 23:40   #9
gooffeyguy

Cabelas today had both 50rd boxes for $2.99/box and 333rd bulk packs for $18.99. They also had 50rd boxes of .22 Quiet but can't remember how much.

I've bought bulk packs the past year now and then at walmart in 550rds, 375rds, and 333rds at around $28, $22, and $19 if I remember right.

Also bought CCI Mini Mags 100rd for $6.99 and Blazer 500rd box for $28 at Midway

Last edited by gooffeyguy; 04-07-2015 at 23:41..
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 23:50   #10
shadowhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooffeyguy View Post
Cabelas today had both 50rd boxes for $2.99/box and 333rd bulk packs for $18.99. They also had 50rd boxes of .22 Quiet but can't remember how much.

I've bought bulk packs the past year now and then at walmart in 550rds, 375rds, and 333rds at around $28, $22, and $19 if I remember right.

Also bought CCI Mini Mags 100rd for $6.99 and Blazer 500rd box for $28 at Midway
I remember Wolf 7.62 x 39 for $1.99 a box. It is amazing the way the ammo market has been manipulated. Someone said they would like to open an ammo mfg plant. The darn equipment is so high. I think center fire ammo has become so profitable that the rim fire hasn't gotten too much attention. I think I am going to check gunbroker to try to get an idea, what it is selling for.

Last edited by shadowhunter; 04-07-2015 at 23:52.. Reason: error
shadowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 23:53   #11
Railsplitter

Quote:
One way I have reasoned with this is if you were a supplier and could make .05 22 ammo, or 40 cent 40 cal or 35 cent 9mm, which one would you prefer tying up your production lines to? For maybe two years, they couldn't make enough, period. Now there is ammo in the pipelines, except for 22 because maybe their cost to make it these days is too high. Just a thought to ponder on.
Exactly, there is no doubt that they just don't want to make .22 ammo, that is patiently obvious to even a dullard! BUT you would think they would take into account the needs of their customers, the same person who picks up a box of 9mm asks when the .22 will be in stock and now into the third year the answer is no answer!
Old 04-08-2015, 00:31   #12
shadowhunter

Quote:
Exactly, there is no doubt that they just don't want to make .22 ammo, that is patiently obvious to even a dullard! BUT you would think they would take into account the needs of their customers, the same person who picks up a box of 9mm asks when the .22 will be in stock and now into the third year the answer is no answer!
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some type of government disincentive that isn't public knowledge. I know there are specialized machines out there used to form all the 22 cartridge, it doesn't seem that they are running at normal capacity.

I checked Gunbroker it looks like 10 cents plus shipping is the entry level. I saw some at 30 cents. When I was a kid they were 49 cents a box of 50. Is there a place on this site for ammo sales.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:15   #13
Railsplitter

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some type of government disincentive that isn't public knowledge. I know there are specialized machines out there used to form all the 22 cartridge, it doesn't seem that they are running at normal capacity.

I checked Gunbroker it looks like 10 cents plus shipping is the entry level. I saw some at 30 cents. When I was a kid they were 49 cents a box of 50. Is there a place on this site for ammo sales.
The ammo companies just seem to be in denial about the need for all types of ammo, seems like they have been in shock since 2012 and are clueless about what to do. It is an amazing thing, customers wanting a product but companies not meeting the demand it goes against all logic. It is so crazy that the disincentive theory of government intervention actually starts to sound plausible, especially given the amount of time that has pasted. Now we are looking at another election and nothing has changed since the last!

Last edited by Railsplitter; 04-08-2015 at 02:16..
Old 04-08-2015, 08:05   #14
mac66
Huge Member

Quote:
Here's something to consider....under Obama during the height of recession, the price of raw materials and commodities such as lead, brass, and gasoline, etc went through the roof. Add to that the peak of the wars in the middle east put a further demand on ammo and raised the price of transportation of raw material and finished products to a new high. As a result centerfire ammo went up significantly and people started switching to rimfire ammo which was still comparatively cheap. Gun manufacturers started to make hi-cap 22s (Ruger SR22 rifles, S&W MP22s etc) to fill the market and with an anti gun president in office more and more people got into shooting, most of which was .22s.

The increase in shooters was ten fold during that time and even though 22 ammo was available there were times when you couldn't find it on the shelves even then. With Obama being re-elected and the next generation coming of age who were getting into shooting and the added demand tightened the market even more. Add the Newtown shooting and you had the perfect storm; Manufacturers already at peak production, 10s of millions of new shooters, and everybody buying and hoarding all the ammo they can get due to the anti gun panic. The demand is at an all time high and so is production and I don't see it easing anytime soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:35   #15
gooffeyguy

I've been seeing it more and more available the last 6 months or so.

My wife, son, and I all have .22's that we shoot about once a month (yes, the SR22 rifle with a few 25rd mags, or the 110rd drum mag I have is very fun!!), or if they go to the range with me when I take my Glocks, they will take their .22's.

We currently have about 3000 rounds. When we go shooting we will shoot anywhere from 300-500 rounds or so between us. I'll usually come across more ammo within the next couple weeks to restock. I've never paid $0.30 or even $0.10 per round. I can see that price on special match grade or suppressor ammo, but not standard bulk ammo (Federal, Winchester, CCI, Remington, etc).

When I was checking out at Cabela's yesterday with the 333rd boxes of .22, the cashier asked if there were still any 1500rd buckets back there, so apparently they had some of that previously also.

I don't consider myself as hoarding .22 ammo....2000-3000 rounds is nothing compared to others I've heard about over on rimfirecentral.com with 10k, 20k, even 40k rounds. If I'm out shopping at Walmart, Cabela's, or Bass Pro I will go look and see what they have. If I'm getting low I'll pick some up, if not I pass it up.

EDIT: Heck, if you are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area someone has a bunch posted in the for sale section at just under $.08 per round.....

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1571068

Last edited by gooffeyguy; 04-08-2015 at 08:43..
gooffeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:42   #16
TK-421

Quote:
Presuming .22 is made on the same lines as 9mm or .40, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes different machinery, since one is rimfire and the other is centerfire.

Another possible explanation is they have no idea how much longer this shortage will go on, and they don't want to spend a ton of money to buy machines and ramp up production to meet the demand if the demand is only going to last a few weeks after they ramp up production, but they need it to last a year to cover their investment.

So rather than spend a bunch of money and risk not getting a return on their investment, they'll just keep ammo at the production rate it's always been at, and it just seems like they're not making any because it's always bought up the second they make it, and so there's always a backlog going on.
- Unknown
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:37   #17
CMG

Winchester 555 was $23.77 at the local Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago I bought 6 boxes in two separate Friday morning visits (on the way home from work ~ about 7:30am)... last week they had 100rd packs of Winchester ($6.77) and CCI ($9.37)... I didn't buy any of that. I told the clerk, I'd leave that for someone else.

The Sig 522 I have likes the Winchester, but not much else I have does.

Last edited by CMG; 04-08-2015 at 16:38..
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 18:51   #18
DJ Niner

When you can FIND the larger bulk-packs at a big-box retailer such as Walmart, they are selling for around 6 cents a round. CCI Mini-Mag .22 LRs in the 100-round slide-top plastic boxes are selling for around 7 to 8 cents a round.

Online, folks are selling the bulk-pack for around 10 cents a shot plus shipping, and Mini-Mag 22LRs start at about 11 cents and go up from there. Occasionally Cabelas will sell the CCI stuff cheaper, but after shipping, it's still around 12 cents a pop or more, and they are limiting sales to one box per brand/type per buyer per day.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 21:08   #19
Railsplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
Here's something to consider....under Obama during the height of recession, the price of raw materials and commodities such as lead, brass, and gasoline, etc went through the roof. Add to that the peak of the wars in the middle east put a further demand on ammo and raised the price of transportation of raw material and finished products to a new high. As a result centerfire ammo went up significantly and people started switching to rimfire ammo which was still comparatively cheap. Gun manufacturers started to make hi-cap 22s (Ruger SR22 rifles, S&W MP22s etc) to fill the market and with an anti gun president in office more and more people got into shooting, most of which was .22s.

The increase in shooters was ten fold during that time and even though 22 ammo was available there were times when you couldn't find it on the shelves even then. With Obama being re-elected and the next generation coming of age who were getting into shooting and the added demand tightened the market even more. Add the Newtown shooting and you had the perfect storm; Manufacturers already at peak production, 10s of millions of new shooters, and everybody buying and hoarding all the ammo they can get due to the anti gun panic. The demand is at an all time high and so is production and I don't see it easing anytime soon.
Did you read the no excuses part? Every store I walk into has 9mm, .40, 45, 5.56 etc stacked to the top of the shelves. I can buy 9mm on line till my fingers start cramping and it has been this way for a long time. So don't give me the no resources or can't produce BS! They can produce what they want to, and now that is setting up for 9mm .40 and 5.56 and little else. The ammo makers are our weak link. The gun makers both rifles and handgun and the magazine people stepped up and met demand, gun people and politicians stepped up and passed laws or blocked laws etc. But the ammo people haven't answered the call!

Last edited by Railsplitter; 04-08-2015 at 21:33..
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17   #20
mac66
Huge Member

Quote:
Did you read the no excuses part? Every store I walk into has 9mm, .40, 45, 5.56 etc stacked to the top of the shelves. I can buy 9mm on line till my fingers start cramping and it has been this way for a long time. So don't give me the no resources or can't produce BS! They can produce what they want to, and now that is setting up for 9mm .40 and 5.56 and little else. The ammo makers are our weak link. The gun makers both rifles and handgun and the magazine people stepped up and met demand, gun people and politicians stepped up and passed laws or blocked laws etc. But the ammo people haven't answered the call!
The recession has eased and the price of raw materials and transportation has gone back down. Production of centerfire has caught up with the demand but rim fire demand has continued to grow exponentially. I'm not making excuses to for the manufacturers but it cost a helluva lot more to set up rim fire line than increase production for centerfire (or make magazines). Anyone can make centerfire ammo, rim fire is more specialized. If it was cheap and easy to make rim fire there would have been an explosion of companies making it to fill the demand just like for mags or rifles etc. It is just not that easy to make.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote