Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2014, 21:44   #1
Schrag4

Dipped Into My Stash

I somewhat recently resolved to quit shooting 22LR until it's hard to find, but I almost immediately broke my own rule. The grandparents agreed to take our young children off our hands for a couple of nights, so on the last day my wife and I decided to hit the range.

I don't get my wife to the range nearly as often as I should. She has nothing against shooting, but she's not all that excited about it either. The one gun she really enjoys shooting is my Glock22 with the Advantage Arms conversion. She had never done any IDPA-style shooting, so I brought 4 of my target stands and we went through some different scenarios. We put about 100 rounds of RemGB through the AA kit, with no failures. I must say, I was impressed with her shooting, given that she had never done any shooting other than the standard boring standing still shooting slowly. She did great!

We also fired up the AR15. She had never shot it in the year or so since we got it. We each put 20 rounds through it, and she did pretty well with that too. I don't think I have her hooked yet, but it was at least a pleasant experience for her.

I forgot how much fun that AA kit is. It really is one of my favorites to get out and practice with. If only I could find ammo for it...
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 19:35   #2
rilkil23

I've come close a couple of Times but haven't yet started shooting my 22s. It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to give in because my son has gone through a couple hundred dollars worth of 45acp and I've burned a bunch of 9mm. I think I have about 5k rounds of 22 but it goes so fast when we take out the 10/22 and the 22/45.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 17:20   #3
deputy tom

Good for you. I did the same thing about three weeks ago. I shot close to 200 rds. of misc. .22lr ammo out of a new rifle and had the most fun I've had in years. It really felt good. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cel The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 20:43   #4
rv4driver

Hey, you really want to blow through some .22? Get a dueling tree! That thing is a black hole to .22 ammo. Great fun, though.
I scored a couple hundred rounds of .22lr suppressor ammo last week, oh, boy, was the 15-22 with a suppressor fun!!! It doesn't even get hot like the .223.
rv4driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 22:04   #5
Schrag4

I'm thinking I'll need to stand in line with the neckbeards every once in a while so that I can keep shooting. To be honest, I probably have a little over a year's worth of 22LR, at the rate I used to shoot, but I really hate to shoot what I can't replenish.

I've had my eye on a firearm or two chambered in 22LR. I wonder if I could get a good deal these days since ammo is so hard to come by. I hope such an investment would ultimately pay off someday. 22LR has to return eventually, right?
Old 03-28-2014, 21:52   #6
bac1023

Very cool

22lr is one of the most fun rounds to shoot.

1911 Buyer's Guide
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 22:01   #7
steve1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Very cool

+1 Agreed

1911club#410
Old 03-28-2014, 22:04   #8
shockglock

You hate to dip in these days, but man is it fun to do. Glad your wife had a good time, can't seem to get my wife to go shoot. How do you like the Advantage Arms conversion? I have never shot one before and wonder how it cycles.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 22:05   #9
shockglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Very cool

It is a blast just wish I could shoot more often.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 17:58   #10
OMEGA5

My local Walmart had Federal 36 gr HP, 500 rnd box for
$23 and Win 36 gr HP 300 rnd box for $17 today. Only
allowed 1 box per customer per day but the point is that
it was the first time I've seen .22's there in a year and I
have a close friend that works in Sporting Goods keeping
an eye out for me. This is the first she's seen them get in.
Maybe the drought is over or at least easing up. I hope
so. I've got several .22's that need to be shot.
Dano
OMEGA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 21:51   #11
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockglock View Post
You hate to dip in these days, but man is it fun to do. Glad your wife had a good time, can't seem to get my wife to go shoot. How do you like the Advantage Arms conversion? I have never shot one before and wonder how it cycles.
I had issues with mine for about the first 1000 rounds, like failures to eject or feed. If I remember correctly, the failure rate was around 4% at first. It wasn't even close to every mag, but it was just enough to make me wonder if it was going to work with each pull of the trigger - annoying.

It seems to be broken in now, though. With Remington Golden Bullets or CCI MiniMags (the recommended ammo), I very rarely get any kind of failure anymore. I'm guessing I probably go about 500 rounds between failures now, which IMO isn't bad for many 22LR firearms. If my records are correct, I have close to 6000 rounds through it so far.

I got it to practice with the same grip, trigger, and holster, for more range time per dollar spent on ammo. Really, that's the only reason I can see for buying these conversions.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:23   #12
Doc McGlock

Hey guys,

I had gotten an email from freedom munitions Houston,I believe that said that they had .22 lr in stock. I've got a bunch already and can't get to the range much so I didn't pay much attention to the email but maybe some of you might pursue the lead and report back

I've bought a bunch of 45 acp from them and was very happy.

I think it's freedommunitions.com in Houston. Good luck!
Doc McGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:29   #13
CBennett

I think I will also picked up 600 more rounds last Monday so I think some of my other stuff older cheaper stuff(golden bullets i think) I will go shoot some up this Sat/Sun coming up looks to be highs near 70!
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48   #14
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
I think I will also picked up 600 more rounds last Monday so I think some of my other stuff older cheaper stuff(golden bullets i think) I will go shoot some up this Sat/Sun coming up looks to be highs near 70!
In my neck of the woods, I've purchased a brick of Winchester in the past year.it was at a Gander My grand opening. Other than that nothing anywhere. Fortunately,I had purchased a bunch at around .08, which at the time seemed like highway robbery.

Again Freedom munitions in Houston has .22lr (armscore) for$59/500. Not the best ammo and not the best price, but no limits. A good sign for those wanting to shoot a little.
Old 04-09-2014, 21:31   #15
Schrag4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McGlock View Post
In my neck of the woods, I've purchased a brick of Winchester in the past year.it was at a Gander My grand opening. Other than that nothing anywhere. Fortunately,I had purchased a bunch at around .08, which at the time seemed like highway robbery.

Again Freedom munitions in Houston has .22lr (armscore) for$59/500. Not the best ammo and not the best price, but no limits. A good sign for those wanting to shoot a little.
For the kind of shooting I like to do, I'd much rather shoot my "expensive" reloads (maybe 3 cents more per round) than 22LR at that price. 22LR isn't so fun if it costs almost as much as a real caliber. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:53   #16
Doc McGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrag4 View Post
For the kind of shooting I like to do, I'd much rather shoot my "expensive" reloads (maybe 3 cents more per round) than 22LR at that price. 22LR isn't so fun if it costs almost as much as a real caliber. Thanks, but no thanks.
Bro, Just put it out there for those that might not have the opportunity that you do. For some, .22LR is all they have available to them.
Old 04-10-2014, 20:01   #17
Reb 56

For some reason I grew bored shooting my 22's even before the shortage. Now I'd just rather shoot my AR or my center fire Bolt guns.
Maybe if .22 ever comes down to a reasonable price I'd shoot it a little more.