Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-10-2006, 13:54   #1
lane1

Recruiting question

New poster to the forum, long time lurker. I'm 28 and I'm seriously considering joining the marines. I have a good job and I like what I do, but I have this longing to join the military. I've had this feeling for years, before I went to college and after I got out. I don't want to look back 30yr from now and wish I had served my country. I fully understand that my enlistment will lead to me to the middle east to support our troops already there. Am I too old? How do I start the process

EDIT: been talking with a recuiter and have a question about age waiver. I'm told I can't get into boot camp after i turn 29. any info on age waivers would be greatly appreicated. thanks.

Last edited by lane1; 12-14-2006 at 22:34..
lane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 17:35   #2
RM

Well generally we don't take people over 27, however if you are in good shape a waiver can be granted.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food and water, in the worst of conditions, day or night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. The True Believer doesn’t care how hard it is. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1600. He knows only his CAUSE.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 22:14   #3
Jay D.

The max enlistment age is 29, but you can get a waiver just like the man said above if you run a 1st class PFT. Another thing that could hold you out is a family. The best thing to do is talk to a recruiter.

Lone Star Glockers #84
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 16:56   #4
bsjones84

You can still get in. I know of people who have enlisted at 40. There's a guy in my platoon right now that's 31. It can be done, just talk to your local recruiter.

Semper Fi
bsjones84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 14:42   #5
Kingslayer
My New Title

We had a guy in boot camp that was 31. You can be waivered in. But he was the center of attention. It was usually either because of his age or because he was big and dumb.
Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 19:58   #6
urbanjunglist

We had this guy who served 11 years in the chair force and joined the Marines. He was 33 if Im not mistaken, where there is a will there is a way. The question is, how bad do you want it?
Old 11-27-2006, 18:41   #7
glkdawg45

Send a message via AIM to glkdawg45
Do you want it ? Do you want to earn the title to be called MARINE ?

If you want it go talk to the nearest recruiter.
Tennessee Squire
glkdawg45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 22:33   #8
lane1

question

I've been talking with my local recruiter and he informed me of the process. I'm excited about joining. I was planning on signing just after the new year and leaving for boot camp in the summer, at which time I would be 29. Well, tonight the recriuiter called and told me I have to sign now and I have to leave for boot camp in 3-4 weeks, just before my birthday, because the marines won't allow any one in after they turn 29 and they aren't allowing any age waivers anymore. He seems very concerned about signing me before the new year, which I assume is related to a year end push for overall numbers for the 2006 year. Is it true the marines no longer allow a you to attend boot camp after you turn 29 and won't allow a ager waiver anymore? I'm stressing because I was planning on the summer as Im' tied down with a work contract, lease, and I told my family I had 6months before I would leave.

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
lane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 17:15   #9
blubottlemax

Ha ha, sounds like a push to get you to sign ASAP before you change your mind, and to help the recruiting center make its quota. With the increasing difficulty finding qualified people to join, why would they stop the age waiver? Standards have been going down over the years, not up. I was in from 1996-2001, and saw people with every waiver under the sun. If you want it, go for it. Tell the recruiter your not making up your mind until next month, and if he wants to sign you, he will make it work.