SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2006, 21:33   #1
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Hunting story with NO pics!

I know you guys get frustrated with me, because i am 'behind the times' and don't have a 'digital camera', and can't give pics, soooo, you'll just have to 'hear my story'. Ain't really much of one anyway.

Went out behind the house saturday morn, to "cull out," some of the spike/forkhorn jobs. We have been waaaay over run with them. So, I grabbed my brothers 270, on the way out, and some winchester 130gr silver tips, that have been sitting around for several years, and went out to the back canyon rim behind the house. At sun up everything was chriping, and life began to wake up, "and so did I.."

Here came the first of the "culls," a 4 point, so i popped him at 100yds. dropped in his tracks. Gutted, skinned, butchered, and in the freezer, all in time for me to drive waaaaay into podunk town, and eat some lunch!

Well, That evening, i was out to "cull" again, and spyed something "really weird". I cranked the scope up on 10X, and took a peek. "MY GOSH," it is an "exotic, African black buck," (i call them), at a little over a 1/4 mile, and had 3 does with him. He was fairly large. Bigger than a Texas Buck deer in the body, and mostly black, with a couple brown spots, and a snow white belly, and hade two horns going 'straight up,' and twisty, like a Kudu almost, but a tighter twist, to a point.

They were really pretty big. I started to shoot him, but did not trust the 270 at that range, (not knowing if my brother had sighted it in on target, or 2"/3" high at 100, 200 yds, etc. I knew it would do well out back at 100/200yds, but at this distance i was not going to risk it. What a day to leave my 7mm mag at the house and grab his gun!!!

So, i watched for a spell, and they seem to be here to "stay." I found out form my brother, they had escaped from a exotic ranch, a looong way off, and no one was to concerned. (???), so the way we understoood it, shoot to kill! I understand they were going for very high thousands of $$$ for the 'rich' to come out and hunt. Why the ranch HAS NOT made the effort to give a rip is beyond me. But in the next few days, after i check this out a tad further to confirm it is a "GO," i am going to plug that big buck with the tall pointy twisty horns, Hey he is on 'my ranch' !

Our deer herd has taken such a beating, that out of all the bucks i saw in the canyon last night, one had a big normal 4 point rack on one side and a 3" spike on the other! He would have been a very nice 8 point.

Drought, gentlemen, and lack of nutrition, etc, and some "bad genetics" thrown in, can cause some strange things. We have some "really nice big racked deer", but we do feel that 'culling out' the spikes, and forkhorns, will make a better herd in the next few years. Understand now, i am talking about deer four/ five years old, (some of them we want to cull out), that "still have" forkhorns, deformed horns, etc.

Well, that is my story for now..... wish me luck on the African dude!

Yes, one day we will get pics. Man i can barely get on GT, let alone understand all this camera stuff!

I am fine with a 35mm Canon camera,, and do our business that way here. But all the digital, computor, electronic wires etc stuff.... i just ain't got there yet. Hope you enjoyed this anyway!

Good hunting my friends!

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-19-2006 at 21:39..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 22:55   #2
noway

Good story.

BTW:hate to burst your bubble, but that extotic Black Buck ( antelope ) is not African but from India. It about the size of a Kudu and supposely very very tasty in the flesh part ( they graze on grass just like cows ). When I used to live in Central TX, a few exotic ranchs on my road had them by the hundreds.
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 00:26   #3
DJ Niner

CanyonMan, you write well enough in your unique "outdoorsy" way, that anyone who reads your stories sees pictures -- they're just inside their head!

Thanks for letting me live/re-live some fine hunts with you.
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:42   #4
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
BTW:hate to burst your bubble, but that extotic Black Buck ( antelope ) is not African but from India. It about the size of a Kudu and supposely very very tasty in the flesh part ( they graze on grass just like cows ). When I used to live in Central TX, a few exotic ranchs on my road had them by the hundreds.

I stand corrected, my Florida friend. I told my brother what you said, and his reply was..."Oh did I say Africa, no no, i Meant India "!

All i can say is, Africa, India, Bancok, or N.Y.C, i don't care....He is on our place now, and likes it!

Seriously.. Noway, thanks for clearing that up for me, before i made a bigger fool of myself somwewhere else today. Tasty eh? Your are correct about the "grazing on grass part," these guys were in the back part of the meadow, below the canyon, where the mequite and cactus run thick for cover, yet is bordered by a very lush green pasture grass, in a small clearing. I just could not have gotten any closer for a shot, as i did not have the time. It was almost dark, and a stalk through a meadow between me and them, with only 6" of buffalo grass to hide in, was not going to be an easy chore, and do it all in about 10 minutes. (all the light left).

But I shall return !

CM

Quote:
CanyonMan, you write well enough in your unique "outdoorsy" way, that anyone who reads your stories sees pictures -- they're just inside their head!

DJ Niner, Man I appreciate that. I Thank you very much. More than you know actually.

I have had some on GT, and some in my 'Family and friends' especially, that have been trying 'for years', to get me to write a book on.... "Cowboy/Ranch life," and all the 'tales', (true ones), and adventures, and tuff times and good, of a working ranch, and rodeo life, (that last one is past tense 'for me' now ) ha. But I 'just don't see me doing it'. I've already had an offer from someone to go through the manuscript, and 'fix' all my spelling, and lousy punctuation!

Thanks for the kind encouragement...Funny thing is, I'm not even trying to do anything. I just call 'em as i see 'em. I never see anything special about anything i write, or articles i have written else where. Even been to a publisher, with a 'small manuscript', they loved it. I backed out. I just can't seem to see anything special in it.

I may do it some day, but i been saying that for about 10 years now.

Heck, lets forget it and go hunting!

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Old 11-20-2006, 16:24   #5
noway

{Seriously.. Noway, thanks for clearing that up for me, before i made a bigger fool of myself somwewhere else today }

No fool in my book. Alot of people get confused on the old world game-animals and what animals are Native to African ( the dark continent and India/Pakistan ). I myself are still learning the games animals and trying to figure out whats...what
Old 11-20-2006, 16:56   #6
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally posted by noway
{Seriously.. Noway, thanks for clearing that up for me, before i made a bigger fool of myself somwewhere else today }

No fool in my book. Alot of people get confused on the old world game-animals and what animals are Native to African ( the dark continent and India/Pakistan ). I myself are still learning the games animals and trying to figure out whats...what

Thanks my friend. I don't know a Black buck from a Gemsbock! Well, I do on that one, (ha), but i really do get a tad confused some times, when it comes to "African VS. India" type animals, in the "antelope category." Those, are the ones that sometimes get hard, (for me), to distinguish. Anyway you slice it, and i hope i am 'slicing soon,' I am going after him in a couple weeks, after some more 'small racked buck culling' around here. We got plenty! I just finished putting some more steaks in the freezer a few moments ago. We are mesquite smoking a whole bunch of it out side as well, in a huge smoker/grill, my brother built. So it is stoked up with wood, and ready to make "culled runt jerky."

Thanks again for the info on the India heritige!

Good hunting to you my man, and stay safe. Let me know how its going!

CanyonMan

Old 11-20-2006, 17:04   #7
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

I did a search for these "India Black Buck Antelope," on Google.... And here is a 'very small' version, of the one I saw Saturday eve. Plus, the one I saw had a tad more brown on him, other than size and a little ore brown, "This is him"!

http://www.thebigzoo.com/animals/zoo...acapra_001.asp

Here is pretty much what it looked like through the scope set on 10X, with the buck and does, at a tad over 1/4 mile. (also an internet photo, but is a almost perfect likeness of what i experienced).

http://www.confluence.org/photo.php?visitid=7505&pic=9

CanyonMan

Last edited by CanyonMan; 11-20-2006 at 17:10..
Old 11-20-2006, 17:12   #8
noway

Suprisely I've learned India has alot more mountain thus more lope creatures vrs the plains game that roam the Dark continent. If I ever won a million dollars I would love to take an haitus from the USA and hunt every creature that roams the Africa plains from the small 30lbs lb deer like creatures to the bigger cape bufs.

I know some guys hunting in African next year that book like 2 years ago and paid in advance that will be hunting alot of Nambia plains games . They are doing everything from an steenbok to zebra to impala ( the animal and not car ) and a few other items in africa,

Cost is right around 10K minus airfare.

Hope you get that Black Buck. Their was an post a few weks back on a hunter taking the same game animal. It was quite entertaining. I'm doing an axis deer hunt this year and hope to get lucky with an Doe ( cull hunt ).
Old 11-20-2006, 18:35   #9
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

My brother told me they were charging 5K to 10K for these Black Bucks on the exotic game ranch. I am real surprised we have heard "nothing," from these people, and so far they don't seem worried about the loss of this buck and a few does. As you know, we a good deal of canyons for them to roam in, and diverse grasses, and terrain for them. If i though they would stick around, i would let them alone, and allow them to breed, but i honestly do not think they will stay here that long, so i better get to it if i am going to take him down.

Hope you win your million $$$, if so, don't forget your friends... Of course you will have a good many more of them if you do.

Take care bud.
CanyonMan

Old 11-21-2006, 08:39   #10
noway

{My brother told me they were charging 5K to 10K for these Black Bucks on the exotic game ranch}

I think it depends on the area and locale. Here inFL a few people have Blackbucks ( brady ranch for e.g ) and they charge about 2-4K for a trophy size.

Alot of place in central tx with exotic farms are more like 1.5k-3K. Black buckare unique and rare on the exotic game ranches. I wish one would escape and walk into a public hunt land. I would not hesitate in taking it
Old 11-21-2006, 10:27   #11
Sharker

Wow, good luck, and let us know how he is beside some Biscuits and Gravy.
Sharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 20:08   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharker
Wow, good luck, and let us know how he is beside some Biscuits and Gravy.

LOL....

My thoughts exactly !
Plus a head on the wall, with those cool looking horns.

Noway said:

Quote:
I wish one would escape and walk into a public hunt land. I would not hesitate in taking it

If some more show up here Noway, i will trade you a free hunt on the ranch here, for the Black Buck Deer, for a hunt there 'with you' in Florida, so i can get my 'Oceola Turkey'. I am 'two' away from a "Grand Slam," and will make that "one" away, after spring, when i go to Tenneessee, and hunt on my brother in laws place, that will give me the 'Eastern', i already got tons of Rios, and one Merriam. If te herd here stays, maybe you can get your wish and come hunt! Seriously.

CanyonMan

Old 11-21-2006, 21:58   #13
noway

Come on down, I have an area that you can hunt and should be able to get an Osecola. I would want in return a shot at an Rio. I'm also 2 species away from an grand slam and need an trip to TX and possible KS to collect on a bird.

I was out hunting last weekend and will be this t-day and sunday and found a big turkey roost site. Saw no birds but found tons of tracks and feathers at the dusting site and under the trees that I think the birds are roosting at.

Opening day spring turkey you know where I will be at
Old 11-22-2006, 07:41   #14
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

WEll it sounds like a deal to me.
I will, hopefully Make the trip to Tenn. in the spring of '07, to hunt the eastern, so perhaps later in the fall i can scrap up the $ for a Florida hunt, or is fall a good time to hunt them there?

As far as getting you a Rio here.... No sweat!

CM

Old 11-22-2006, 08:28   #15
noway

You save your money and comedown and avoid the $750-2k dollars for a privateguide services and I can't guarantee you a bird but I can take you to spots that will have birds.

Other our turkeys are call shy and very smart they can be hunted and kill successfully. A hunting area about 70mins away is bustining at the seams since NWTF provide funds for turkey monitoring,food plots ,etc...... Bird bird are out an about running around as I type now.

Every time I've been out looking for bambi mom or in this case bambi Dad, I've had birds in 2 - half a dozen grouping hens and tom grazing about.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:45   #16
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
You save your money and comedown and avoid the $750-2k dollars for a privateguide services and I can't guarantee you a bird but I can take you to spots that will have birds.

Hoss, i can "promise you," i will let you guide me through the Florida brush....Man if i had $750.00 to 2K, i can think of a ton of other things to do with it besides kill a turkey! haha.

If i can swing it, "your the man."

Gotta run right quick.

CanyonMan

Old 12-03-2006, 07:09   #17
G36's Rule

Good story Canyonman. I just got back from a West Texas Mulie hunt. It was very dry out there, but the deer were in good shape with some fat on them.

The Blackbuck antelope of India rarely get over 100 pounds, so if the animal you have seen is larger than the deer in your area it might not be a Blackbuck. Or you have some really small deer.

Trophy fees on one range from $750 to $2000 depending on quality and the ranch.

Have a good one.
G36's Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 18:22   #18
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally posted by G36's Rule
Good story Canyonman. I just got back from a West Texas Mulie hunt. It was very dry out there, but the deer were in good shape with some fat on them.

The Blackbuck antelope of India rarely get over 100 pounds, so if the animal you have seen is larger than the deer in your area it might not be a Blackbuck. Or you have some really small deer.

Trophy fees on one range from $750 to $2000 depending on quality and the ranch.

Have a good one.

Hope you had a great hunt and got your buck.
It has been dry in our part of W.TX. for a very long while. It has hurt a good number of things, from cattle to crops to wild game.

I have a zoo picture posted on one of my post (above), of the IBB, i saw, and it was the size of a mature TX buck. Texas deer are small in the first place, but this guy was 150 dressed i am sure. I have not seem him since, so he/they, (him and the does), may be running the canyons behind the house, and i have just not spyed them again, or they could be three countys away, who knows. I feel like they are still around, and will look for him as time allows. He is 'the exact image' of the pic i posted above, but 'some what bigger'. Does were the same as the pic above as well....... Besides, my brother, told me they are do doubt IBB antelope, because he knows about the exptic ranch from which they escaped.

Oh well, we continue to 'cull out deer' out here left and right..... Just got through buthering another one this evening. The fereezer is now "full." And the jerky bags are full, and i am probably done for the year, so as to allow some time to look for the india dude.

Thanks for the note, good luck to ya!

CanyonMan