Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2007, 13:51   #41
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
Dude - I'm not a lawyer but I think the bigger the hole in the bad guy, the less chance of a difference of opinion when the cops arrive.
Home Defense: 12ga.

Old 01-22-2007, 13:54   #42
Sierra

That would work.

Remember New Orleans.
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 15:04   #43
PzGren

Sierra,

in Florida and Indiana the Castle law is passed. If somebody gets shot in defense of a home, he cannot sue.
Anyway, I rather pay $30,000 than loose my life. I am in the good situation to have guns that will lend themselves better to end an armed conflict than a .22 l.r. but this is not about legal costs, it is about defense of your life. I'd rather have a .22 l.r. than nothing.

If your state has less reasonable laws (spell absence of justice), work on changing the law, not the calibre or the subject of this thread.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 16:02   #44
Sierra

You are on better legal ground than we are here on the West Coast.

Remember New Orleans.
Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 16:09   #45
PzGren

I know but we have trouble of our own here, too. I want to move farther north again.

The NRA is our only friend in our preservation of firearms and self defense rights.
PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 15:06   #46
mac66
Plant the seed

As others would say, the 22 wouldn't be MY first choice but I sure wouldn't have a problem with it if that's all I had. Just remember that no one wants to be shot and many, many people have been killed with a 22. A 22 packs a pretty good wallop. Just ask James Brady and the secret service agent and police officer who was shot by John Hinkley when he tried to kill Prez. Reagan.

I seem to recall a movie on tv that was based on a real event. An 11 year old kid was home alone in a rural area when two scumbags broke in. He confronted them with a 22 rifle. When they didnt back off and came at him he started shooting. He hit both of them who then fled. Both were later found dead in the yard or close by field.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:55   #47
skiezics
NRA Member

I wouldn't be over-confident in a 12 gauge or any firearm for that matter. A quick story about a "gunfight" in the rural area where I live. Around five years ago an unstable middle-aged man was consistantly causing trouble in his neighborhood. He especially had a beef with an elderly couple that lived directly next to him. From what I understand the couple was very nice and kept to themselves but the man kept causing problems with them/going onto their property, etc. The police were called by the couple and the other neighbors on a few occasions. The middle-aged man plain and simple was a troublemaker. One day the man goes extra crazy for some reason and goes over to the elderly couples house with a 12 gauge shotgun. He kicks in the kitchen door. In the kitchen is the woman making dinner. The man fired two shots hitting the woman in the arm around the elbow and also in the abdomen. When the womans husband heard the noise he went to the bedroom to retrieve his .22 LR revolver. He met the man at the entrance to the kitchen. The elderly man fired three shots into the chest of the man before he was able to fire with his 12 gauge. The man turned away and ran for the kitchen door in which he entered. He barely got through the kitchen door when he fell down and remained motionless. A neighbor had called 911 and the police arrived just minutes later. When police checked the man he was dead. The elderly woman survived her wounds. She lost her one arm from the elbow down and recovered from the extensive damage the shot did to her guts. She is still as active as she ever was. The shooting was ruled self-defense. Although the .22 is not ideal, it is far from something that will just piss off an intruder.
skiezics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 14:59   #48
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

i just bought this one for targets, fishing, and walks in the woods....not as a primary defensive gun at all....

but with Win Super X 37gr. h.p. or CCI Stingers.....its 4" barrel will give the rounds plenty of enough compared to any of the .32acp h.p. from mini autos like the p32 and what not that some folks bet their lives on every day.......though a heavy LRN would be my coice for ensured penetration to the vitals from odd angles....

while not even on the same plain as a 3"-4" K frame .38spl as a minimum for home defense.....it is better than nothing and better than a mini auto in any of the sub-calibers commonly carried today.
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:20   #49
1811guy
Formerly1811guy2

Quote:
Originally posted by Glockdude1
Home Defense: 12ga.

+1. Benelli M1 Super 90 with #4 buck. .22s are for target shooting and small game hunting (squirrels, rabbits). But, if a .22 is all you have, then that is your self defense gun. Do not be satisfied with it though, endeavor to get something that will do the job properly. If .22 LR were adequate, police and military would be using it.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!-I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
- Patrick Henry Mar 23, 1775
1811guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 14:38   #50
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Re: Rimfire home defense

Quote:
Originally posted by James Markov
Anybody use the .22 here as a PRIMARY self defense gun for the home? If so, why? And, what load do you use?
Rimfire .22 cal and Home Defense is an oxymoron.

Even with Aguila 60gr Super Sniper Subsonic .22 ammo and a suppressed rifle it would be a dicey situation.

On second thought I strongly reconsider my opinions:

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

American 180 Machine gun video

Last edited by Blitzer; 09-10-2009 at 11:18..
Blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 23:05   #51
bac1023

Quote:
Originally posted by James Markov
Anybody use a .22 revolver?
I have a Heritage revolver with cylinders in 22LR and 22Mag. Luckily I'm fortunate enough to own many handguns and currently use my Ruger 454 loaded with 45Colt blazers for home defense. However, if all I had was the 22 revolver, I'd keep it loaded with 22magnums, but wouldn't feel overly secure in that situation. Although the 22mag is a hot little round, its bullet is just too small and light to cause the damage necessary without pinpoint shot placement. An intruder could easily die from 22magnum wounds, but I don't see it dropping someone quickly without outstanding shot placement. In situations like a home invasion at night, great shot placement may be difficult.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 00:30   #52
ciwsguy

Didn't see any mention in the string of Quik-Shok 22's. If your piece can handle them, these rounds are hyper velocity pre-fragmented 32 grain bullets. They are supposed to be VERY effective 22's as the bullet fragments into 3 or 4 pieces when it strikes the target. I bought some, but haven't had a chance to test them in the back yard. Reportedly, these rounds will drop a varmint dead with one shot. I've you've tried to kill wild rabbit with a 22, you know it usually takes standard 22's or minimags several shots to drop it unless you manage a dead-on head shot.
ciwsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:01   #53
katana8869
NativeFloridian

I had a buddy back it the late 80's who kept a Tech .22 with a 30 shot magazine and a laser attached to it slung over his bedpost. He was of the opinion that it was the ultimate Ninja slayer.

As for me, my first handgun was a Ruger MK II. My plan of action for self defence was basically point it COM and empty the magazine, reload and repeat as neccesary.

I always carried Stingers, more for reliability than performance.

My wife is finally starting to come around to thinking about self defense and wants to start shooting with me. (Only took 7 years She is a "Northern Girl" raised by PHD college professors, poor child... ) so my old MK II is going to be the one she learns on.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."
- Samurai maxim
katana8869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 23:34   #54
James Markov

Anybody use the CCI Velocitor to shoot various wet phone books, or varmits and have any info?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 22:29   #55
G26man
OBEY ME!

Everyone keeps mentioning stingers for defense. Although I would not generally select a .22 if any other option were available, if I was using one I would use velocitors. They have as much expansion and energy but a much heavier bullet for better penetration. A good thing if you're going for headshots which is a viable plan with a .22 IMO. Also I have heard stingers do worse in pistols than most rounds because they use slow burning powder. I don't know if the same is true for velocitors.

Don't even think of using quick-shocks. You want 10-14 inches of penetration to reach vital organs reliably, not the 2-3 inches you would get with the quick-shocks. They would be my choice for blowing up small critters, but not stopping people.

If I had to choose a .22 for home defense I would go with the Walther G22 if they make high caps for it or if not my short barreled 10/22 carbine with a 25 shot mag. I see 8-10 rounds of .22lr as a pretty good substitute for a 12G buckshot blast, and with a easy to aim short light carbine that can put rounds out very quickly I would think it could be a formidable weapon if used wisely.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:07   #56
vafish

Here's a photo of recovered rounds from some .22 LR testing I did a couple years ago. Rounds were shot from a Marlin Model 60 rifle at a distance of about 25 yards.

Rimfire Forum

The test media was Corbin Simtest.

http://www.bulletswage.com/sim-test.htm

From other testing I've done with Simtest penetration was about 1/2 of what others report in ballistic gelatin.

Notice the Quiwk Shock penetrated a Whopping 1 3/8".

If I had to use a rimfire for home defense, I'd use the Velocitors.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 21:40   #57
oldnavy

No matter what you use, it is all about shot placement.

One 22 in the heart or eyeball is worth a lot more then a 200gr 10mm at 1100 fps FLESH WOUND.

However I sleep with my S&W 915 9mm with internal LazerMax under the pillow, with the old Mossberg 20g pump near by.
Old 06-03-2007, 13:31   #58
James Markov

Some of the guys have AR or AK style type of weapons for home defense, but you gotta wonder what happens to the rounds they miss shooting at an intruder in their home. Assuming a homeowner lives in an apartment, or a mobile home park, has the issue of rounds over penetrating really been closely considered? Since most rounds miss an attacker anyway, I would be scared to ventilate a bunch of nearby apartments or trailers. Do you(meaning the homeowner) consider this to be a major problem?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 20:08   #59
Blitzer
Cool Cat

Send a message via AIM to Blitzer Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzer
Rimfire Forum

Old 06-04-2007, 08:03   #60
James Markov

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitzer
Rimfire Forum

Is that an American 180?