Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2007, 15:56   #61
chevy

yup sure is
chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 17:05   #62
2spurs

Guys I've used a gun 3 times for defense. Never pulled the trigger any of the times. From this I conclude that "having" a gun at the right time and place is more important than caliber. At one point a 10-22 was all I had, but I did'nt fear home invaders. Having it handy allowed me to solve 4 legged Varmint problems serveral times.

I've seen a TV interview with gang bangers that had been shot and were showing off their scars - talking about how tough they were, but None said they wanted to get shot again. They talked about other gang members who did'nt make it after being shot.
2spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 14:38   #63
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaskapopo
You need a real gun in 9mm/38 special or larger. Sorry but all 10 shots of a 22 will do is piss them off unless you hit them in the eye. It could very well kill them but I doubt it would stop them with anything less than a perfect shot to the CNS.
Pat
Hmmmm, I seem to recall a guy named John Hinckly who knocked down a secret service agent, a cop, scrambled James Brady's brain, and nearly killed President Reagan with a 22 revolver.

Another fairly famous case was 10 year old kid who shot two intruders with a 22 rifle. They broke into his rural home while his parents were away. Both died and they made a movie out of it.

I investigated an accidental shooting back in the 1970s. A guy who was about 6'6" and about 300lbs was accidently shot by his mother with a 22 rifle. She picked it up by the grip with her finger in the trigger guard and swung it his way to hand it to him. He yelled which startled her. She squeezed and shot him in the upper right chest. He told me it felt like someone hit him with a baseball bat. It knocked him flat and punctured a lung. He was lucky to survive.

Also was part of a task force back in the 70s looking for a guy who used a 22 rifle (Marlin 60) to hunt and kill 4 people. He would wait down the block and when they came out in the morning he would put one bullet in their head. 4 shots, 4 kills.

Two other experiences with 22s. One of the guys on our plaincloths surveillance team carried a Sterling model 302 in 22lr in his pocket as a backup. We were eating in a coffee shop early one morning when he reached into his right front pocket to get change for a tip. His pistol went off shooting himself in the left thigh. The bullet barely missed his femoral artery and left burns and powder tatoos on his *****. It also set his pants on fire which burned some pubic hair. It was kinda funny afterward.

Last story. One of our guys stopped a guy walking down the street near a drug house. It was winter and the guy had a large BDU feild jacket on. As our office approached the guy had a NAA mini revolver in his hand which was covered by his sleave. He shot our guy in the face hitting him in the upper cheek, just below the left eye. It knocked him down but the officer drew his gun when he hit ground and shot the guy in the shin. Backup officers killed the guy as he was trying to recock the little single action. The officer survived but had a broken cheek, damaged nerves in his face and lost the hearing in one ear since the bullet lodged in the ear canal.

Moral to all these stories...a 22 will hurt you, and you really need to avoid being shot with anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by mac66; 06-26-2007 at 13:08..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53   #64
James Markov

Interesting accounts gents...
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 16:20   #65
BIGHURT

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaskapopo
You need a real gun in 9mm/38 special or larger. Sorry but all 10 shots of a 22 will do is piss them off unless you hit them in the eye. It could very well kill them but I doubt it would stop them with anything less than a perfect shot to the CNS.
Pat

If you cant stop someone with a .22 you might want to study up and bit and practice and bit and well you get the picture.
BIGHURT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:17   #66
James Markov

With center fire ammo prices going thru the roof the rim fire guns are the ones getting shot the most these days...
Old 07-07-2007, 16:44   #67
AZG30guy

James,

When your thread makes it to a 12 month anniversary we should send you an e-card.

Personally, now a days if I don't reload it, it's a 22LR I'm shooting.
AZG30guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38   #68
James Markov

Quote:
Originally posted by AZG30guy
James,

When your thread makes it to a 12 month anniversary we should send you an e-card.

Personally, now a days if I don't reload it, it's a 22LR I'm shooting.
Thanks for the humor...
You hit on an interesting concept here. You mentioned that "if you don't reload it then its a .22 you're shooting". I notice there is another 15-25% increase in factory ammo coming on Sept 1st. Since a lot of shooters DON'T reload, and one main concept of defensive shooting is to practice extensively with the gun/caliber you shoot I think the .22 is one of the few calibers a shooter can economically shoot to get good at hitting a target. Maybe the 9mm is kinda cheap also, but hey my view is that most people cannot afford huge ammo budgets these days.
People counter my economics argument with "What is your life worth? "Why not spend more for ammo/defense?" If safety was an issue without concern for money, we would all live in gated communities patrolled by armed guards, drive huge gas guzzling SUV's and have expensive fire suppression systems in our homes.
Unfortunately, money does come into play. I know a guy who has a Hi-Point 9mm with 100 rounds of ball ammo as his self defense package. I went with him to the range, and he can pound a target with it, every time. He is looking to buy a pump shotgun as a upgrade so I'm not too worried. He is waiting for a sale on a deer/field barrel combo.
To repeat, a .22 is far from an ideal defense tool, but if you have it, and can hit stuff with it, you aren't in a dire straits as some suggest.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:21   #69
anyplainjoe
Nobody special.

Ditto on the 22 getting more and more use.

If money is a big issue, then I don't believe you have to always practice with the exact same set-up to maintain overall profeciency. Sure, master it, but it better to go practice 5 times with a variety of pistols than only go once with the duty rig. Or just shoot a few rounds of the duty gun each time. Sometimes a long session with a 9, 40 or 45 becomes more an exercise in battling recoil or arm strength than a lesson in quicky markmanship.

Last edited by anyplainjoe; 07-30-2007 at 06:25..
anyplainjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41   #70
James Markov

I have a Ruger Mark 2 .22/45 with a 4 3/4 inch barrel and it has a similar grip setup to my Ruger P97. Newer shooters can go with the Ruger Mark 3/Ruger 345 setup in .22/.45 calibers. You save a ton of cash these days using the .22. Just wait till sept with the 15-25% price increase
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03   #71
anyplainjoe
Nobody special.

Exactly James. The 22/45 grip angle is modeled after the 1911, so it's a natural trainer. I think the Sigmas and M&Ps uses the same angle as the 1911 too.
Old 07-30-2007, 22:52   #72
AZG30guy

Since the subject has turned to 22LR as a training aid for SD. Here's my $.02. My current training routine is two days a week at the range My gp 100 on Friday night and my G30 on Sunday morning. The 357 and 45's are 100rnds, double tap drill off the draw at 15, 21, and 45ft, for the respective days and in adddition 100rnds of 22LR, off hand at 30ft, from either my single six, mk3 or AA conversion for the G30. A total of 200rnds a range trip.

Yes I reload, but I limit shoot my SD calibers to 100 a range trip, as reloading supplies are actually getting more difficult to buy. As well as component prices are going up as well. I buy my bullets and primers as they are available, with this routine I'm actually building an inventory as a hedge againts future price hikes as well as in case there is a true shortage. The goal is to keep shooting.

My 357 is in my night stand and G30 in my truck, but I use 22LR to supliment SD training. In general my 22's are cleaned and oiled sitting in my range case.
AZG30guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:42   #73
James Markov

I would love to be able to shoot that much. At least you have a couple good guns to shoot with(the G30, and Ruger GP100). Which .22's do you shoot most accurately, including the .22 conversion kit?
Old 08-07-2007, 13:12   #74
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member

I have one loaded and ready to go....although not my primary....Glock 19 is primary, loaded with Cor-Bons....and my Ruger Single Six 9-1/2 inch barrel is ready with .22Mag cylinder with Maxi Mag hollow points. I would not be afraid to use it at all if it was the first one I grabbed.

Last edited by AZ_Quailhunter; 02-23-2008 at 22:01..
AZ_Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 23:10   #75
James Markov

Whats the velocity of the .22 magnum in a 9.5 inch barrel?
Old 08-11-2007, 22:31   #76
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member

It is about 1700 fps. according to charts I have seen for different barrel lengths.
Old 08-12-2007, 15:26   #77
spober

Quote:
Originally posted by sharpshooter
You could just use your voice to tell them their not welcome... The way I see things, if someone enters my home, I have to assume they intend to harm me or my family. Quite often that means the intruder must be killed or seriously injured very quickly. If your house is like most people's houses, an encounter with a home intruder will most likely occur within 10-15 feet or less since most rooms are that size or smaller. You're really gonna wish you had something bigger than a 22.

An intruder climbed up the exterior wall of our place and entered thru the second story bedroom window. When I awoke to my wife's screams, the intruder was within arm's reach of me. I dove off the bed and grabbed my 40 cal Glock. The intruder jumped back out the window. I had my sights on him for a split second as he lept out the window but I did not fire. Believe me, you don't want a 22 in a situation like that.
are you pulling our collective legs?
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 19:39   #78
James Markov

I think a solid strike with a .22 would at least have stunned an attacker-Hey...22's aren't a cure all for home protection, but in your situation a .40 caliber Glock would be potent. Any more to the story you want to add?
Old 08-24-2007, 11:19   #79
619Glock3r

bump.........I need to hear of these 22lr rifle shooting incidents........
619Glock3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:40   #80
James Markov

I realize the .22 Ruger 10/22 rifle is a "poor man's assault rifle" at BEST, but in a rifle a CCI Stinger/Velocitor can be a useful gun. Shoot a water jug with either round and see-its not a BB gun power wise that some imply. Are there shooting reports involving .22 rifles?