SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-01-2007, 15:06   #81
JerryO

Quote:
Originally posted by James Markov
Whats the velocity of the .22 magnum in a 9.5 inch barrel?
Jim, your question doesn't have an easy answer.

First, you have to pick your bullet weight, then brand. And finally, where do you find a 9.5 inch barrel?

I bought a NAA black widow for my wife to carry (2 inch barrel), had a ruger single 6 (6 inch barrel) and bought a taurus mod 72 (16.5 inch barrel) as a home defense gun.

I found Federal gave me the best velocity, then CCI, then winchester.

The rifle gave
2100 fps with 30 gn
1800 fps with 40 gn
1550 fps with 50 gn

A 23 inch barrel added about 100 fps to the above readings.

The single six was something like 1100 (50 gr) to 1500 (30 gr)

The Black widow gave
930 (50 gr)
1100 (40 gr)
1200 (30 gr)
BUT, that is with the cylinder barrel gap quite tight. It was at least 100 fps less than this as delivered by NAA.

I took the rifle out when a coon was tearing up stuff on the deck. I found that the sights were useless, so I taped a lazer to the barrel. Then I could tell where the gun was pointing, but not what was there. So I taped a LED spot light on the other side of the barrel.

But my wife likes wild animals, so I bought a live trap. And the coon hasn't been back.

JerryO
JerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:14   #82
James Markov

That was some good info JerryO. My question involving the .22 magnum's velocity in a 9.5 inch barrel stemmed from an earlier poster using one in that barrel length. My brother is very interested in the .22 magnum as a all around round-personally, I like it also, but often find the CCI Velocitor in the .22 long rifle to be adequate for me. How is that Taurus model 72 in terms of defensive use? Is it as handy as it sounds?
James Markov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 18:38   #83
JerryO

Quote:
Originally posted by James Markov
How is that Taurus model 72 in terms of defensive use? Is it as handy as it sounds?

Since I was looking for something a lady in her late 60's could handle until she is in her 80's, I think that mod 72 is about the best I can do. Even .223 is not a good choice for her. She has had her eye lens replaced (cateract), a corneal transplant and surgery for a detached retina. She realy needs to avoid recoil. Even the action of a .22 auto seems to bother her.

Myself, I would use my mini 30, or buy a .308 pump or auto. It isn't an option for my wife.

And the .22 mag does hit a little harder than a .22 lr. I still have to decide on what bullet. As of now, I think the 40 grain at 1800 fps will be enough. Even if it is only 1/3 the weight/power of an M1 carbine bullet.

Oh, yes it is quite handy with its short barrel (16.5 inches).

JerryO
JerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 21:34   #84
James Markov

You know one of my brothers has a Ruger lever action .22 magnum as a varmit/house gun. He has 40 grain hollow points in it-I do believe that gun has potential as a defense piece. As a benefit he can hit a dime with the gun at a distance so maybe a Taurus pump action is potent medicine for your situation. Thanks for the input.JM
Old 09-15-2007, 12:31   #85
spober

and the last time you were shot with a 22 lr of any brand? never o k .22 rimfire will kill.it will wound and at point blank range(as the requirment to justify self defence)plent of penitration by any medium standards.my wife is scared to shoot her 9mm and her 38 snub cause their too much.i feel a bobcat in 22 will be more to her liking.
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:31   #86
spober

and the last time you were shot with a 22 lr of any brand? never o k .22 rimfire will kill.it will wound and at point blank range(as the requirment to justify self defence)plent of penitration by any medium standards.my wife is scared to shoot her 9mm and her 38 snub cause their too much.i feel a bobcat in 22 will be more to her liking.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:40   #87
spober

Quote:
Originally posted by AKMIKEFMJ
I carry a Firestorm FS-22 on hikes or out in the yard. It is light and handy. The house gun is a M1 carbine....
Rimfire Forum
sweet i want something like that for yard carry.my yard is 2 acers.1 fully wooded then 1/2 wooded around the house.but theres everal acers of woods behind me.at any rate i traps threw the woods most every day.
i was thinking of a taurus 22 or beretta bobcat.this fs-22 looks alot like the walther ppk trp or somthing to that effect.im sure the firestorm 's cheaper by alot.
Old 09-23-2007, 19:00   #88
James Markov

Thats an awsome gun there....how does she shoot? Better yet how much does she weigh?

Last edited by James Markov; 10-15-2007 at 23:36..
Old 10-15-2007, 23:37   #89
James Markov

Old 11-21-2007, 22:05   #90
James Markov

Ok...never mind then.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57   #91
BLY

I only read the first page, but that's a whole lot of stupid. (Not just the concept, but most everything written in the posts.)

That said, I wouldn't want to be shot by a .22LR either.
And in comparison, the .22LR will be much more effective out of a rifle than a pistol.
Old 12-09-2007, 00:40   #92
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
My wife has one of those Bersa Firestroms. Her's is exactly like the one in the picture. I don't know how many thousands of rounds she's run through it, but it's a bunch. With CCI mini-mags, it's 100%, but will choke from time to time on the Federal bulk stuff that runs fine in our Rugers. Other people have told me their F/S's run fine on anything so it seems to be like a lot of rimfire stuff, just a gun/ammo thing. We've never tried but a few different types in her's.

She got originally for her first CH. Nope, a 22 isn't the best but she had confidence in the gun and in her ability to hit with it, so it served her well. She never had to use it thank the Lord, but if she had, it would have been a lot better than crying and begging "Please don't hurt me." She carries a Glock 19 now, but she sure learned a lot with that little Bersa.

James, I'm not sure how much it weighs, but it's not heavy at all, even loaded. Accurate enough for what it's made for, but it's not a bull barreled target pistol. And it is just a lot of fun to shoot. She's got one extra magazine for it, and it was fairly expensive, twenty-eight bucks if I remember correctly, but it was the only one we could find, so we paid the freight, but that's the only downside to it.

Great little guns IMHO.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 19:42   #93
Ak.Hiker

Set up some blocks of wood and shoot your favorite 22 load into it. Take a look at how much penetration and damage to the wood that the 22 does. Than shoot some 357 magnum loads into the wood and compare the penetration and damage. You do not even need anything fancy just some American Eagle 158 grain softpoints will do. I doubt you will want to carry a 22 as a self defense gun after checking out the results.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 00:51   #94
James Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak.Hiker View Post
Set up some blocks of wood and shoot your favorite 22 load into it. Take a look at how much penetration and damage to the wood that the 22 does. Than shoot some 357 magnum loads into the wood and compare the penetration and damage. You do not even need anything fancy just some American Eagle 158 grain softpoints will do. I doubt you will want to carry a 22 as a self defense gun after checking out the results.
Actually, a .357 magnum, loaded with American Eagle 158 JSP rounds will over penetrate an elephant-these rounds DO NOT expand and will punch thru 2 neighbors houses'
Old 12-13-2007, 16:00   #95
Ak.Hiker

My point was to compare what a 22 does to what a plain generic 357 will do as far as damage. In wood the American Eagle 158 SP will expand. Of course the 158 SP in the 357 is not designed for self defence.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 23:21   #96
James Markov

True, the .357 is a nice self defense round. I have shot a lot of magnum rounds, to be sure. My dad for years had a Ruger Mark 2 pistol, loaded with CCI Stinger rounds. When the dog started barking he grabbed the gun, and heavens help anything out there causing mischief. The fastest, most reliable(meaning shooter accuracy) gun I shoot is the .22, followed by the 9mm, then the .45 acp. As a matter of fact, with my .22 I can hammer a target a lot quicker than with a heavy caliber weapon...
Old 01-05-2008, 23:07   #97
Aquanewt

I've been a P/O for entirely too long and I've seen knuckleheads hit with .38's 9mm and .40's fired by the 'good guys' get up and survive and people hit with .22's end up on a slab. Placement accounts for quite a bit as a graze with a .40 is, well a graze wound and a solid center mass or head shot with a .22 can be fatal. The larger calibers are more efficent, but the shooter with one gun that can use it is often more dangerous than the guy with a vault full. All that being said, I'm going to use a .40 caliber Glock and the Mrs has her own .38 that fits her hand and is loaded with 158 gr LSWHP. Both will leave more than a 'mark'
Aquanewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:28   #98
James Markov

One thing I shake my head at is in the new year of 2008 how ammo has soared in price-one of my many resolutions is to shoot more .22's in the coming year...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:57   #99
vafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Markov View Post
You know one of my brothers has a Ruger lever action .22 magnum as a varmit/house gun. He has 40 grain hollow points in it-I do believe that gun has potential as a defense piece.
The .22 magnum from a 20" rifle barrel will give you 2,000 fps or so with the 40 gr hollow points.

Thats about the same speed as the FN 5.7 gives when fired from a handgun.

There are those that think the FN FiveSeven handgun is the best thing since sliced bread. (I'm not one of them)

If you have to use a .22 for self defense I think a .22 magnum rifle is the best choice.

PS I can't believe that this thread has been going for over a year without getting locked over some stupid pissing contest.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 13:53   #100
Berto
woo woo

If I HAD to, I could rely on a .22 and would shoot it a ****load for practice.
My Pop is a retired paramedic and seen plenty of DRT's from the rimfire.
It's nowhere close to ideal, but it certainly can work.
Like VA, I'd load Velocitors.