Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:26   #1
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Who is your favorite car dealer in central Indiana?

I know it will depend on make of car, but some guys have EVERY make under their dealership somewhere. So, curious about feedback from all you guys.

I'm in the market for a new car next year, and am open to anything. MINI, BMW, Saturn, Honda, etc.

The Tom Woods, Penskes, Skillman, etc have a lot of dealerships.

Do you have a positive or negative experience to share? Ever WORK FOR one of them (I have).

Anything that isn't libel I'd like to hear.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:38   #2
minuteman32
NRA & GOA Life

Defintely Honda West, 38th & Georgetown. Ask for Tim, He'll treat you right!

Dan
minuteman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 14:30   #3
Geeorge
Sarcasm Inc.

Bob Caterson buick

Okie is one KooL Cat
Geeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 14:51   #4
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Eric Dickerson.... Oh, that's right... Never mind...
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 15:47   #5
Gump

Indy Honda

I bought a Pilot at Indy Honda back in May. Easy to work with,I got there at about 11am did the deal, was headed home by 2pm. The last 3 vehicles I bought at other dealerships took me 2 days to get em down to the terms I wanted and finish the deal. I would recommend them.

Gump
Gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 16:36   #6
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

THe first car I ever bought at a dealer was my Toyota Corolla XRS from Butler Toyota. They treated me well and I didn't even have to haggle as I thought their asking price was fair, they just knocked off a grand without me even having to ask. The price I paid was around 5 grand less than what my insurance company appraised it at when it got totaled in a no-fault (on my part) accident around 8-10 months later, so I think their prices are more than fair. I really made out on that deal.

My current car I bought at Tom Wood Nissan. Right now, I will at least never do business with that salesman ever again. He promised the world, but delivered very, very little. Everyone else there was nice and seemed to bend over backwards for me, but the salesman on several occasions tried to weasal out of some of the things he promised me and did not return my phone call on at least one occasion involving the airbox lid that THEY BROKE when trying to clean my air filter.

I will gladly do business at Butler again, but I will avoid at least that salesman from Tom Wood Nissan (which is right next to Butler BTW).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 16:58   #7
4sarge

Send a message via AIM to 4sarge
Re: Who is your favorite car dealer in central Indiana?

Quote:
Originally posted by FThorn
I know it will depend on make of car, but some guys have EVERY make under their dealership somewhere. So, curious about feedback from all you guys.

I'm in the market for a new car next year, and am open to anything. MINI, BMW, Saturn, Honda, etc.

The Tom Woods, Penskes, Skillman, etc have a lot of dealerships.

Do you have a positive or negative experience to share? Ever WORK FOR one of them (I have).

Anything that isn't libel I'd like to hear.
I hate car buying and it is a sad state of affairs as far as I'm concerned. Over the years, I have bought many cars and trucks from many different dealers. I think that the dealership issue depends upon the honesty of the current sales manager, the owner and whether or not that you have a trade in. For me, it's best to pick a specific model and then price shop around to find the best deal.

Probably the best deal ever was that we found the wifes car on line in the Berkshire Mountains of MA. Flew to NH, salesman picked us up at the airport and we bought the car pretty much sight unseen (until we arrived). It was a used no longer imported model and the car was cleaner than the dealer said and there was no funny business at all.

I've had success at Rohrman (several years ago), Andy Mohr Chevy but not at his his Ford dealership. I tried to buy one of those 11,900 trucks - right. A friend got heck of a deal at Skillman in Greenfield on a PU but that was when GM was dumping them. If you know someone currently in the car biz they can pretty much tell you who to avoid. Wherever, hold onto your wallet.

Good Luck - Report back - the wife would like to have a new Honda Element
Demand PROOF

"We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately."

Ben Franklin
4sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:48   #8
IPDBrad

Mr. Sar, he sells great used cars.

And if you sing his jingle, you get a discount.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:07   #9
MikeL74

I got a Ford from Skilman in Greenwood about 6 years ago and a Dodge from Westgate in Plainfield about a year ago and got treated well by both salesmen, but wasn't too impressed with the finance guy at Westgate. Skilman's was much easier to work with. I have no idea if those people are still there or not. I know the Westgate salesman is not.
MikeL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 15:23   #10
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

You guys ever read this?

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Old 12-14-2006, 15:36   #11
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
You guys ever read this?

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html
Youins knoz us'n gun nuts kant read...
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 19:07   #12
bradp

Come and buy from me at Penske Chevy so i can afford to buy some more toys..if you know what I mean. Ask for Brad Pennington.
Old 12-14-2006, 19:42   #13
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

that name sounds familiar.
What do you think of the Cobalt SS SEDAN?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:14   #14
bradp

Quote:
that name sounds familiar.
What do you think of the Cobalt SS SEDAN?
Cool car for the money. Too bad you can't get the supercharged Ecotec in the sedan. It is a much better car than the old Cavalier.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:16   #15
Rikki
Pathetic Loser

"The Trader"
Old 01-02-2007, 08:32   #16
shooter2

I've bought my last two vehicles from Enterprise Car Sales (several locations around town). They pull cars from their rental fleet at around 30K miles and totally refurb them before putting them out for sale. Prices are VERY competitive, and you can go online and see their entire inventory at all their locations. That means I can go to their Plainfield office and request to test-drive a car from their Pendleton Pike office, and they'll bring it on down. Best of all, they're no-haggle/no-BS; you either like the price you see on the window sticker and pay it, or you don't. Last time, I got a decent price on my trade-in and a $500 returning customer bonus. The 2002 Impala I bought from them has been the best car I've ever owned, hands down.

A couple years ago, my wife bought our minivan at Blanck Chevrolet in Brownsburg. Small-ish dealership, but good prices and excellent service after the sale. We now take both our cars there (even the one we didn't buy from them) for maintenance, and they'll be on the (very) short list of places to go when we need a new vehicle.

Finally, it amazes me how many dealerships acted like they didn't even want my business; my wife and I walked around one lot for probably 20 minutes and no salesperson ever approached us to ask if they could help. Maybe we didn't "look" like "prospects," but we had cash in-hand and were ready to buy if the right price came along. If ya don't ask, you'll never know!

Last edited by shooter2; 01-02-2007 at 08:35..
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 15:54   #17
PMY

I got my Mini Cooper S at Dreyer & Reinbold. They're also a BMW dealer.

They were great to deal with and the service since has been very good. If you're looking at a new Mini, that's the only place in Indiana.

Buying a Mini is pretty easy too. They tell you what they've got coming in, and what the price is and you tell them which one you want, and which dealer extras to put on. At least when I bought mine in 2004 there wasn't any negotiation involved. Supply was behind demand, so if you didn't buy at their price, someone else would. If you're willing to wait a while, you can special order one with the exact features you want.

Not too practical if you have a big family, but a great car at a very good price!

Last edited by PMY; 01-04-2007 at 15:58..
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 22:27   #18
FThorn
TV/Movie Club

Was your salesman Richard S.?

If so, I used to work with him. He moved on, and ended up there.
Old 01-05-2007, 14:58   #19
PMY

I mostly dealt with Jim Barth. (I'm pretty sure that was his name.) They also had an authentic quirky English guy around who was pretty helpful. Don't remember his name though.
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 23:40   #20
wrighsco

Car Dealers

For Honda, I shopped for an Accord Coupe in September and was quite pleased with the lease I got at Ed Martin Honda on Shadeland. I recommend Mike O'Friel as the sales person of choice. Penske is a meat grinder. Other Honda dealers didn't me a good deal. (P.S., do not turn your nose up at a lease because Honda's are open-ended and you can buy the car at the end of three years- much less costly than financing.) Also, Honda is big on year-end closeout deals for in stock cars.
wrighsco is offline   Reply With Quote