SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:02   #1
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

The Danger of Taking Off Protective Bio Gear

Reports are, that (now dead) ebola patient Duncan infected a hospital worker in Texas who was wearing full bio suit protection.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/w...e-for-disease/

Two parts of this story stood out:

1) They think the healthcare worker got infected as she was TAKING OFF her suit. Wow.

"Frieden said that taking off protective gear is a “major potential area for risk” as it is difficult to take off a contaminated suit without being exposed to the virus."

2) The worker was NOT on the list of 48 individuals being monitored daily by the CDC. Really? She was in close physical contact with Duncan but didn't rate observation? No, she self-monitored and took herself in when she got a fever. That's just amazing--such a huge oversight. Of course you would monitor all healthcare workers in contact with Duncan! How simple is this?

That tells me that the gov is doing everything it can to downplay the risk. Wouldn't look good for the BHO, so the SOP: suppress bad news and distract the population. "Oh, we're not worried about the healthcare folks, they were protected." Whistling past the graveyard.

Now the bozos at CDC have decided maybe...just maybe...they need to watch a larger group of people. Ya think?

"CDC officials are reviewing their list of people who may have been exposed to the virus, and plan to take more aggressive action in monitoring. There is expected to be a new number of people being watched by the CDC, but that number is not yet known."

May I translate?

"CDC officials are completely unprepared for the virulence of ebola. Presidential speeches against ebola have not made it go away, so .gov is at a loss about what to do. On the one hand, CDC is trying to downplay the severity of ebola to make .gov look competent, but on the other hand, they can't find their own butts with both hands. CDC has decided to observe more people, but hasn't a clue as to who they should be. The shocking and controversial idea of observing all people who had contact with Duncan is being considered."

It would be nice if .gov would quit F'ing around and recognize Ebola as a serious threat. But...naaaw, I'm sure gay marriage, or campaign contributions, or global warming are much more serious issues.

Last edited by Bolster; 10-12-2014 at 10:23..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:14   #2
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Scary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:23   #3
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

We will attempt to do our best to alleviate the dangers of this disease and take what steps we can, while it will run it's course. When it's over we will claim to have succeeded in our quixotic quest. Doesn't mean we can't try, does mean that we may be tilting at windmills in our efforts. Still, good men try.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:28   #4
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I dunno. Not observing the healthcare workers is not trying very hard, in my book.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:34   #5
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
I dunno. Not observing the healthcare workers is not trying very hard, in my book.
I didn't say "good men succeed", I said "good men try". In the end the virus will do what virus's do.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:09   #6
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
I didn't say "good men succeed", I said "good men try". In the end the virus will do what virus's do.
Maybe not your intent, but it sounds like you're saying: "Eh, whatcha gonna do."

Viruses can be combatted. They don't have to be allowed to rage through populations unchecked. Simple things like disallowing travel for people in close contact with ebola victims would help. Not rocket science. Regularly checking healthcare workers who come into contact with ebola patients would be a start. Again, not rocket science, just reasonable precautions that would help.

What bothers me is this governmental bumbling and fumbling and doublespeak when real threats come our way. A little competence would be welcome.

Last edited by Bolster; 10-12-2014 at 11:14..
Old 10-12-2014, 12:41   #7
meangreenlx50

Not to diminish the seriousness of this but science fiction serves also sometime to remind us of our hubris. Someone else on another forum mentioned that this is how the zombie outbreak starts in all the movies. It seems no one is taking this seriously or being as serious about the risks as they should be. Humans are always the weak point. I have to wonder if different government groups are being PC and not logical and by following an agenda they are putting us at risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
meangreenlx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:43   #8
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Ebola transmission is troubling as even though it is stated not to be highly contagious..

(as it is stated not to be airborne)

..it is extremely infectious!

(as exposure to a single virus can be lethal!! )

Quite a conundrum if you ask me!!

Considering how hard it is to combat MRSA even in hospital settings..

..and the number of trained medical professionals who have contracted Ebola...

..imagine the havoc just a small (at 1st) number of Ebola infected could do in our fast paced urban societies!

Kids are hand-to-mouth..

..as are many adults..

..and imagine just how many times that doorknob, handrail, food counter, table, etc

..has been touched by human hands between the times it was properly disinfected??

Now add to the mix an "onset Ebola infected" coughing, hacking & sneezing on that commonly used public item!

How many millions of viruses can be shed with a single cough?

Or how many millions from a single nose wipe with the hand that touches that item?

Now consider that gob of human mucus on a handrail, doorknob, fill-in-the-blank..

..has enough viral matter to infect and kill a sizable to high percentage of the hundreds (or thousands) that may come in contact with it..

..who will in turn infect countless others.

If trained medical professionals in body suits can contract Ebola from the most minor of "mistakes" in removing PPE..

..then what about my concerns of those not so trained & protected!

This situation has the potential for getting out of control fast!!

Reminds me of...

Quote:
Hudson: Let's just bug out and call it even, mat! What are we even talking about this for?

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

YMMV

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 10-12-2014 at 13:45..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:55   #9
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

How did his family members not get it yet the person wearing protective gear at the hospital did?

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 16:58   #10
FireForged
Millenium #3936

They need to stop all non-medical non-gov flights in and out of that region.. now
Old 10-12-2014, 17:50   #11
Jack Ryan
One more day

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
They need to stop all non-medical non-gov flights in and out of that region.. now

How about just stop ALL flights in and out of there. That scum bag essentially killed that nurse when he knowingly and deliberately brought ebola here to this country purely for his own benefit.

Any one entering or attempting to enter this country from the ebola hot zone should just be shot on site and dumped in the nearest land fill. Word get's back home after a couple of those and you won't have that panic stricken run for free health care in the USA spreading it across half the globe.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 19:49   #12
LongGun1
StraightShooter

How about no bio-protective gear whatsoever. ..

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/...ing-photo.html

Old 10-12-2014, 20:14   #13
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

This is basic stuff I was taught in the military for decon.
It these peoples job and they can't get it right!
Old 10-13-2014, 05:10   #14
LongGun1
StraightShooter

And the rabbit hole gets deeper...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/1...otocol-breach/

Old 10-13-2014, 06:29   #15
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

The "outbreak" causes the mid-terms to be delayed for public safety reasons.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:40   #16
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Now CDC "discovers" small droplets are contagious.

"New data suggest that even tiny droplets of a patient’s body fluids can contain the virus, Maki said."

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/10/12/k...ontract-ebola/

So basically, it IS airborne, if aerosolized. Maybe not airborne over a city block, but airborne over several yards?

Last edited by Bolster; 10-13-2014 at 08:47..
Old 10-13-2014, 08:55   #17
20South

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
This is basic stuff I was taught in the military for decon.
It these peoples job and they can't get it right!
I learned it working in energy and you are exactly right. We trained on the procedure at least a few times a year and if you failed, you didn't go back into the plant for a while. Complacency is a good way to get yourself seriously hurt or even killed in those type of environments.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:32   #18
Jack Ryan
One more day

The best way to stop it is with a bullet, at the border.

The whole country is jam packed full of stupid, incompetent, liars. You can't trust or believe a word you hear from the POTUS right on down to the janitor at that apartment complex hosing ebola out in to the street. They all lie. They are all lazy. Most of them are stupid.

The country faces a problem here you can't just lie your way out of after the fact. You do it the right way. The right way, the first time, or you die. You don't show people or train them the cheapest way or the easiest way and hope it's OK until you can pass the problem and cost on to someone else or people die. When they die it's obvious why they died.

The ONLY way to protect a country full of stupid, lazy, liars is to keep it out of the country.

We obviously aren't going to do anything that simple.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22   #19
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
Ebola transmission is troubling as even though it is stated not to be highly contagious..

(as it is stated not to be airborne)
it is extremely infectious!
Not so.

Contagious = Liklihood of spread given contact (vector is the issue here)

Infectious = likelihood of contraction given contact (vector + situational factors)

Lethal = likelihood of death given contraction (personal resilience and virulence)
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23   #20
Aceman

And this is EXACTLY the reason a usually put down N95 use etc….

TRAINED people eff it up. Untrained people will have nothing but a seriously false sense of security.

I honestly think social pressure from .gov is what is going on here. CDC provides facts/etc… but .Gov makes the DECISIONS.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote