SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2014, 19:48   #1
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Best single portable burner [stove]

I need a small single burner stove that operates on common fuel bottles. Cost is no option- within reason of course. What do you consider the best? This would be a SHTF item to replace my now defunct 1970s camp stove.
Old 10-16-2014, 19:53   #2
Batesmotel

Msr xgk-ii
Old 10-16-2014, 20:11   #3
FireForged
Millenium #3936

are their options to use fuel other than the MSR bottle and pump? That pump looks like a high maintenance item. Very nice stove though, I do like that unit.

Last edited by FireForged; 10-16-2014 at 20:11..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 20:13   #4
TBumps

^^^Good choice for a stove that will burn just about any kind of liquid fuel. I have one for emergency use, but for backpacking, I prefer the lighter MSR Pocket Rocket that burns propane canisters, and boils water in just a few minutes. It costs less and weighs less. The propane canisters are widely available.
TBumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 20:26   #5
TBumps

Sigg (not to be confused with the firearm) makes seamless aluminum fuel bottles that work well with the MSR stove. The pump is pretty maintenance free, and it's not something that would normally need replacement. Unless they've changed the design, there is a fuel filter that can be removed and cleaned if necessary.
TBumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 20:28   #6
Andrewlcox

What about a JetBoil. It works great but uses a proprietary fuel can that stores neatly inside itself.
Andrewlcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 20:33   #7
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
are their options to use fuel other than the MSR bottle and pump? That pump looks like a high maintenance item. Very nice stove though, I do like that unit.
I have several MSR stoves. They all use the same pump. They are easy to maintain. MSR is great with selling rebuild kits for all stoves and pumps. A Whisperlight and an origional XGK got me through 6 years in USMC Infantry. Including extensive arctic training. I never had a failure in the field. I rebuilt everything in my down time once a year.
Old 10-16-2014, 20:36   #8
Batesmotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewlcox View Post
What about a JetBoil. It works great but uses a proprietary fuel can that stores neatly inside itself.
That is what I take with me for days out photographing to just heat soup and cocoa. In the cold use the snow rated cans of fuel.

Great self contained system.
Old 10-16-2014, 21:34   #9
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
MSR Dragonfly. Multi-Fuel. Adjustable flame. Rock-Solid.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:29   #10
callihan_44
INFIDEL

msr whisperlite international, msr dragonfly burn a variety of fuels...also consider a trangia alcohol stove ...I have a variety and fav is jetboil but there is no guarantee to find those fuel canisters everywhere
callihan_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 18:27   #11
minnshooter

I have a Jetboil, MSR pocket rocket and an MSR micro rocket. The Jetboil is my pick of all three
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote