Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2007, 00:12   #41
RedDawg6

I highly recomend the book "Patriots Surviving The Coming Collapse" by James Wessly Rawles. It is basically a survival manual written as a novel. The first read is for the pure enjoyment of the plot. It will keep you up at night! The second read is for the survial info and links. I used a yellow highlighter. Every page has useful info.
Here's a link: http://www.rawles.to/patriots.htm

RedDawg6
RedDawg6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:05   #42
Vic303

Free books of interest--public domain etc.
LINK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:23   #43
Penguini66

Stumbled on this listing of books last night: Country Living Grain Mill - Cook Books

Cookin' with Home Storage - Vicki Tate
The Amazing Wheat Book - Learta Moulton
Basic Preparedness - Richard Mankamyer
Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book - Laurel Robertson with Carol Flinders & Bronwen Godfrey
The Bread Builders: Hearth Loaves and Masonry Ovens - Danial Wing and Alan Scott
The BackYard Berry Book - Stella Otto
Build Your Own Earth Oven - Kilko Denzer
Four Season Harvest - Eliot Coleman
Preserving Food: without Freezing or Canning - By The Gardeners & Farmers of Terre Vivante with foreword by Eliot Coleman
Seet to Seed - Suzanne Ashworth
Garden Seed Inventory - Kent Whealey and Joanne Thuente
Whole Foods Companion - Dianne Onstad

There may be some repeats here but a few caught my eye:
Quote:
Preserving Food: without Freezing or Canning
Typical Books about Preserving garden produce nearly always assume that modern kitchen gardeners will boil or freeze their vegetables and fruits. Yet here is a book that goes back to the future- celebrating traditional but little-known French techniques for storing and preserving fresh edibles in ways that maximize flavor and nutrition.

Translated into English for the first time, this book deliberately ignores freezing and high-temperature canning in favor of methods that are superior because they are less costly and more energy-efficient. Tells how to use traditional techniques to preserve you food with salt, oil, sugar, alcohol, vinegar, drying and cold storage and lactic acid preservation.
Quote:
Seet to Seed
This complete guide to seed-saving techniques covers 160 different vegetables and includes detailed instructions on how to grow, harvest, dry, clean and store your own seeds! 228 pages, b&w interior photos
Quote:
Four Season Harvest
Keep on harvesting after summer’s end! If you love the joys of eating home garden vegetables, but always thought those joys had to stop at the end of summer, this book is for you. Coleman shows how North American gardeners can raise a wide variety of traditional winter vegetables in backyard cold frames and plastic-covered tunnel greenhouses without supplementary heat. 234 pages b&w illustrations & color photos.
Actually, they all look decent.
Penguini66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 13:50   #44
boomcat

Re: "THE ROAD" by Cormac McCarthy

Quote:
Originally posted by Primalscream
Oh man! I just finished reading this post-apocalyptic fiction novel, and I have to say that it was phenomenal!

(This reviewer from Amazon sums it up best):
"The Road" is a work of stunning, savage, heartbreaking beauty. Set in the post-apocalyptic hell of an unending nuclear winter, Cormac McCarthy writes about a nameless man and his young son, wandering through a world gone crazy; bleak, cold, dark, where the snow falls down gray; moving south toward the coast, looking somewhere, anywhere, for life and warmth. Nothing grows in this blasted world; people turn into cannibals to survive. We don't know if we're looking at the aftermath of a nuclear war, or maybe an extinction level event -- an asteroid or a comet; McCarthy deliberately doesn't tell us, and we come to realize it doesn't matter anyway. Whether man or nature threw a wild pitch, the world is just as dead.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/0307387...681838-3066343

AMAZING BOOK!
A man and his 8-year-old son are walking south through a burned-out, ash-covered landscape. They have a shopping cart, binoculars, a revolver with three rounds, and a dozen cans of food. They have hundreds of miles to go and it's snowing.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:08   #45
fourdeuce2

Fiction list

I read The Road, but didn't care much for it. I generally prefer the post-apocalyptic stories that cover the period leading up to and right after whatever disaster happens instead of later. Anyway, I've been collecting this type of book for about 30 years, and have collected quite a few of them. Here's my list of the ones I have in my library:

48 - James Herbert
8.4 - Peter Hernon
A Hunter's Fire - Floyd D. Dale
Aftermath - Charles Sheffield
Aftermath - LeVar Burton
After the Bomb(series) - Gloria D. Miklowitz
After the Rain - John Bowen
Airship Nine - Thomas H. Block
Alas Babylon - Pat Frank
Amerika - Brauna E. Pouns
A Place Called Attar - J.D. Belanger
Arc Light - Eric L. Harry
Armageddon(short stories) - David Drake & Billie Sue Mosiman
Ashes, Ashes - Rene Barjavel
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
Breakdown - William W. Johnstone
Cold Creek Cash Store - Russell Hill
Dark Advent - Brian Hodge
Dark December - Alfred Coppel
Death on a Warm Wind - Douglas Warner
Death Wind - William C. Heine(also published as The Last Canadian)
Defiance(also published as Vandenberg) - Oliver Lange
Denver is Missing - D.F. Jones
Doomsday Plus Twelve - James D. Forman
Domain - James Herbert
Down to a Sunless Sea - David Graham
Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
Emergence - David R. Palmer
Ende - Anton-Andreas Guha
Famine - Graham Masterton
Firebrats(series) - Barbara & Scott Siegel
First Angel - Ed Mann
Free Flight - Douglas Terman
A Gift Upon the Shore - M.K. Wren
Heartland - David Hagberg
I, Martha Adams - Pauline Glen Winslow
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
Ice! - Arnold Federbush
Ill Wind - Kevin J. Anderson & Doug Beason
In Iron Years - Gordon R. Dickson
Into the Forest - Jean Hegland
Invasion - Eric L. Harry
Jenny, My Diary
Jericho Falls - Christopher Hyde
Level 7 - Mordecai Roshwald
Living is Forever - J. Edwin Carter
Long Loud Silence - Wilson Tucker
Long Voyage Back - Luke Rhinehart
Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Malevil - Robert Merle
Mister Touch - Malcolm Bosse
No Blade of Grass - John Christopher
Not This August - C.M. Kornbluth
Nuclear War(short stories) - Edited by Gregory Benford & Martin Greenberg
Omega Sub(series) - J.D. Cameron
On the Beach - Nevil Shute
One Just Man - James Mills
Out of the Ashes(series) - William Johnstone
Pandemic - Geoffrey Simmons
Path of the Pale Horse - Paul Fleishman
Patriots - James Wesley, Rawles
Power Play - Kenneth M. Cameron
Pulling Through - Dean Ing
Rankin: Enemy of the State - John Osier
Resurrection Day - Brendan DuBois
Shelter - Dan Ljoka
Some Will Not Die - Algis Budrys
Storm Rider(series) - Robert Baron
Survival 2000(series) - James McPhee
Survival Margin - David Graham
Survivors - John Nahmlos
Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon
The 40 Minute War - Janet & Chris Morris
The Big One - Kevin E. Ready
The Black Death - Gwyneth Cravens and John S. Marr
The City, Not Long After - Pat Murphy
The Day of the Star Cities - John Brunner
The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
The End of the World(short stories) - Donald A. Wollheim
The Freeman - Jerry Ahern & Sharon Ahern
The Iron Rain - Donald Malcolm
The Kraken Awakes - John Wyndham
The Land of Empty Houses - John L. Moore
The Last Ranger - Craig Sargent
The Last Ship - William Brinkley
The Long Tomorrow - Leigh Brackett
The Long Winter - John Christopher
The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick
The New Madrid Run - Michael Reisig
The Plague - Albert Camus
The Postman - David Brin
The Rest Must Die - Richard Foster
The Rift - Walter J. Williams
The Sheep Look Up - John Brunner
The Stand - Stephen King
The Steel, The Mist, and the Blazing Sun - Christopher Anvil
The Survivalist (series) - Jerry Ahern
The Turner Diaries - Andrew MacDonald
The Wild Shore - Kim Stanley Robinson
Those Who Favor Fire - Marta Randall
Time Capsule - Mitch Berman
Tomorrow! - Philip Wylie
Vector - Henry Sutton
War Day - Whitley Streiber and James Kunetka
When the City Stopped - Joan Phipson
When the Almond Tree Blossoms - David Aikman
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang - Kate Wilhelm
Wolf and Iron - Gordon R. Dickson
Wrath of God - Robert Gleason
Z for Zachariah - Robert C. O'brien

Last edited by fourdeuce2; 07-20-2008 at 17:07..
fourdeuce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 21:56   #46
Jesus

Re: Fiction list

Quote:
Originally posted by fourdeuce2
I've been collecting this type of book for about 30 years, and have collected quite a few of them. Here's my list of the ones I have in my library:
Couple of your favorites from that list?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." Thomas Jefferson (The Federal Reserve is a private bank.)
Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 00:14   #47
fourdeuce2

It's always tough narrowing it down to my favorites. Lucifer's Hammer is one of the top ones(I've been waiting for them to make a movie of it). I've always liked Alas Babylon, Day of the Triffids, Long Voyage Back and No Blade of Grass.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:31   #48
Jesus

Quote:
Originally posted by fourdeuce2
It's always tough narrowing it down to my favorites. Lucifer's Hammer is one of the top ones(I've been waiting for them to make a movie of it). I've always liked Alas Babylon, Day of the Triffids, Long Voyage Back and No Blade of Grass.
Thanks. I'm gonna see if I cant get some of those online.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." Thomas Jefferson (The Federal Reserve is a private bank.)
Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 14:20   #49
fourdeuce2

Some of them are out of print now, but you can find copies of them through www.addall.com a book search site.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:34   #50
fourdeuce2

The Gift of Fear, by Gavin de Becker

This is a nonfiction book about avoiding becoming a victim of violent crime and dealing with it if you find yourself the target of one. Very interesting book, and must reading for anybody interested in survival. The author interviewed many people who survived attacks and talks a lot about our intuition which often warns us about "something being wrong" with a situation, but which we often ignore because of various reasons, many of which aren't good reasons. Some women, for example, ignore those warnings in some situations because they don't want to make a scene, and they end up getting raped or killed. Isn't making a scene better than that?

Just finished another fiction story to add to the list, too. It's A Gift Upon the Shore, by M.K. Wren. Not too bad a book, but it's got that one little detail that annoys me about a lot of modern stories and movies. Any time they mention survivalists in them, they have to be bad guys(generally reveals a bit of a "liberal" bias on the author's part). Means they've fallen for the media stereotype of the camo-clad, gun-toting survivalist. Like the Holnists in The Postman.
Still, it wasn't too bad a book. I've added it to my list and my collection.

Last edited by fourdeuce2; 08-08-2007 at 21:04..
Old 10-06-2007, 07:02   #51
917MDS

+1

The gift of fear is a great book. Points are illustrated with true stories instead of hypotheticals.
“If men of wisdom and knowledge, of moderation and temperance, of patience, fortitude and perseverance, of sobriety and true republican simplicity of manners, of zeal for the honour of the Supreme Being and the welfare of the commonwealth; if men possessed of these other excellent qualities are chosen to fill the seats of government, we may expect that our affairs will rest on a solid and permanent foundation.” —Samuel Adams
917MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 19:12   #52
steelhorses

The Stand

Just finished Stephen King's book "The Stand". Amazing story of survival, good vs evil in a post apocalyptic world. There's a six hour mini-series that is supposed to be pretty good, actually written by Stephen King so it's true to the story. Gonna have to hunt it down somewhere.
steelhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:29   #53
fourdeuce2

The Stand is pretty good(at least parts of it are). Since Stephen King was involved in making it, they stuck pretty close to the book.
I just wish he had taken the time to write a better ending.
Old 12-20-2007, 15:31   #54
tmiller1116

Ok. I am probably going to send some people over the edge with this one and end up getting flamed to death….but here goes….

I recently went back and re-read "Patriots" again... the first time there was something that nagged at me, but I couldn't put my finger on it... so I read it again. Still wasn't sure what it was, but now that some time has passed, I think I finally figured it out.

The story is fine and all... I enjoyed reading it. Don’t get me wrong; I have nothing against the author personally. However there is one aspect that overshadows the entire book in an almost subliminal way. That something is arrogance.

I know its “TEOTWAWKI” and all that, but the characters end up doing some things that really bother me. Further, I am even more bothered when I start to think that most (if not all) writers of fiction insinuate themselves and their thoughts and beliefs into their stories.

In the story, as I recall, after everyone is safely ensconced in their retreat, there are some incidents with people passing by. On more than one occasion they stop, detain, disarm, interrogate and pass judgment on others. Now supposedly these are solid, law-abiding, Christian people. Being the case, their religious beliefs should have stopped them from some the things they did. If they are true believers in the Constitution (which it would seem to indicate they are) then what they do flies in the very face of that document and what it stands for. Either way, they appear to be in direct conflict with their beliefs.

We even have a case where a couple of people are determined to be engaging in cannibalism, and one of the characters shoots them…. In my book that is murder. They are not empowered to be judge and jury. I know some will say, “but there was no law after SHTF!” My answer is “so what?” Whether cannibal, looter or any other despicable life form, (even just the mundanely ill-equipped) the characters decide who is “good” or “bad”.

Someone has a stash of watches on them? Looter. Kill him.

Just because someone has chosen to gather useless items after SHTF does not mean you have the right to punish him. *(If they were trying to loot from you, that is different of course since we would have caught them red-handed) Without witnesses, a trial or any other form of civilized structure, the characters have decided that their way is the “right” way. They have been magically endowed with the ability to know who deserves to live or die.

I do NOT advocate that they should have ignored the law-breakers. I do not say the “evil” people are right, should be running around free, or any other bleeding heart liberal ideology. But they did NOT have the right to do the things they did. Violating what is right to “fight evil” does not make it right.

Stopping people on the road as they pass by your land in the old days was how the elite upper class treated people. It’s no different in this case. For that matter, if there “is no law now” then by what right do they lay claim to the land they inhabit? Land deeds are only government documents recognizing a person’s exclusive right to use that piece of land. If the law is “gone”, so is the only entity that legally recognizes your “ownership”.

Putting the question of ownership aside, stopping people at the gate, having them move along, and even coercing them through a show of superior firepower are all acceptable means of protecting oneself. Unilaterally detaining, disarming and questioning people is WRONG. They become no better than the neighborhood bully who forces things to be done his way.

If you have read this far, thanks for hanging with me. To sum it up, while it is of course a work of fiction and characters often do things we don’t think should or would be done, that is not what finally bothered me the most about the story…. As I stated earlier, writers put their own beliefs into the things they create. SO my question becomes, does the author truly feel that he is so morally superior that he has the ability to act in this manner?

If he does, then I fear for him, his family and his friends.
tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:18   #55
WSC36

Dang it, yet another similarity between that book and mine. Never read it either. I was recently talking to a co-worker about that one though.

I am not in the position to defend said author. I will say, just because some authors transpose their own views onto their characters this does not mean all do. Guilt by association?

I think it more likely this happens with protagonists than antagonists. And even with the protagonists, sometimes in the effort to portray a 'flawed' character, some things are not necessarily the author's own views.

Concerning cannibals, I guess I threw in the obligatory cannibal scene into my book. The question is, did they kill the people they ate or did they come across 'roadkill'? I think it matters.

In the absence of courts, what do you do? Let murderers go? Jails are a luxury of civilized society, if you are already starving yourself, do you house and feed prisioners? Not likely.

I imagine in an EOTWAWKI scenario, capital punishment would be both swift and common. Born of necessity rather than arrogance.

Of course, in the case of my characters feeding the cannibal to the pig, well...maybe I did go over the top a little. But, dang it, it fit the personalities of the characters who did it.

Benjamin Franklin
WSC36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 00:55   #56
fourdeuce2

I read Patriots, and liked it ok, but didn't think it was one of the best post-apocalyptic books I'd ever read. Anyway, after TSHTF I wouldn't say "there won't be ANY law." I'd say the only law there is is what you(or your group) can enforce. Some areas will have a lot of law, and other areas will probably have none, but the main law will probably be the "law of the jungle".
Old 02-05-2008, 16:01   #57
redman84

survival books

Get Patriots b Jim Rawles. It is a TEOTWAWKI manual wrapped in a fun fiction novel. For the book and other info go to his blog http://www.survivalblog.com/. It is updated often and is quite usefull.
redman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:57   #58
James Cox

Bushcraft by Mors Kochanski.
I think it should be required reading for anyone wishing/forced to spend extended time outdoors.
Old 02-21-2008, 20:37   #59
Priest

Patriots is OK and as others say it does read more like an instruction manual with a story tossed in.

For a good little hand book pick up a 1977 edition Boy Scout handbook.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:35   #60
tsmo1066
Happy Smiley

I can't believe nobody here has mentioned the "Foxfire" collections. The Foxfire books represent a GREAT collection of Appalachian folklore, stories and detailed information on practical skills ranging on everything from the recognition and use of medicinal plants to how to build a butter churn and how to preserve meats and vegetables.

The whole collection started out as a high school research project back in the 70s when a teacher realized that as the last of the elderly, true "mountain folk" up in the Appalachias slowly died away, two hundred years of mountain know-how, lore and skills would die off with them unless someone recorded it. Thus, the "Foxfire" project was born and his students began interviewing these mountain folks, collecting their stories and documenting their skills.

The project wound up lasting something like 20 years and the stories and skill demonstrations by the mountain folk were documented in school articles that were later compiled into the Foxfire books. If you want a really interesting read on everything from Appalachian ghost stories to detailed instructions on how to select safe mushrooms in the forest, treat illnesses with wild plants, or trap wild game, the Foxfire books are a must.

You can even learn how to build a working musket the 18th century way. ;-)

May you have food and raiment, a soft pillow for your head, and may you be forty years in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead! - Old Irish Toast
tsmo1066 is online now   Reply With Quote