GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-17-2009, 16:12   #76
minnshooter

I just got done reading "North of the Sun" by Fred Hatfield. He lived in Alaska and trapped all winter. Very good book.
"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..."

James Madison
minnshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 16:19   #77
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

The Encyclopedia of Country Living
by Carla Emery

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...3225932&sr=1-1

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 08:11   #78
tc556guy

Send a message via ICQ to tc556guy Send a message via Yahoo to tc556guy
One of my complaints over here has been the lack of survival type literature. I've managed to find some of the genre over here from time to time, but most of the books sent over seem to be old mysteries and westerns from 30 years ago that I suspect people sent in an effort to clean off their shelves. Thats fine for people who like those genres of literature. Last year when I was in Helmand there was almost a complete lack of ANY reading material; I asked my hometown book sale organization to send books, and they responded by sending REALLY bad novels and even some anti-war books, Go figure.

I suspect that most of the sci fi genre gets picked over pretty quickly and thus worn out quickly . I've compensated for that by packing multiple books from the FOBs I've been on that ahd libraries, brought multiple books back with me from leaves, and my wife sends me titles that I have requested.

Suddenly in the last month or so I've been seeing much more of TEOTWAWKI books, for some reason. I've been reading Down to a Sunless Sea by David Graham, Deep Sea Rising by Jack DuBrul, Black Monday by Bob Reiss, and Plague Year by Jeff Carlson.Today I was picking through some books and actually found some of the Dies the Fire series from Stirling, which I already have back home, but its worth noting because its the newest survival fiction I've seen in quite some time.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53   #79
tc556guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdeuce2 View Post
I've been collecting this type of book for about 30 years, and have collected quite a few of them. Here's my list of the ones I have in my library:
We share possession of many of the same titles; unfortunately my list of my collection didn't survive the death of my old laptop.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:08   #80
tc556guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotplastic View Post
Does anyone have Deep Winter and Shattered in PDF ?? Would appreciate an email of them if you please.... elglockATgmailDOTcom

thank you
I stumbled across this site

http://www.shtfinfo.com/shtffiles/books_and_reading/

That has a LOT of PDF survival stories.
If you go to the main menu, it seems to have the most complete collection of PDF info in one spot that I've found just about anywhere on-line.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42   #81
M1A Shooter

Send a message via Yahoo to M1A Shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
I stumbled across this site

http://www.shtfinfo.com/shtffiles/books_and_reading/

That has a LOT of PDF survival stories.
If you go to the main menu, it seems to have the most complete collection of PDF info in one spot that I've found just about anywhere on-line.

most of the links appear to be dead.
Old 12-02-2009, 18:44   #82
tc556guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1A Shooter View Post
most of the links appear to be dead.
Interesting, because they were working when I posted the link. Wonder what happened.
edit: I emailed the site owner asking what happened. He is switching his data over to a new server. The links should be good again soon.

Last edited by tc556guy; 12-03-2009 at 08:16..
tc556guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:13   #83
recon

Here are 3 good ones to get.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-En...d_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-Novel...d_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/One-Second-Aft...ref=pd_sim_b_3
PA Glocker #152

Buy It Cheap!
Stack It Deep!

Last edited by recon; 07-07-2010 at 08:14..
recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:26   #84
doby

Don Paul is hilarious! What, no SURVIVAL GUNS by Mel Tappan? Just do the reverse of what Mel suggests, and you will be way ahead of nearly everyone. To comply with Mel's suggestions today would take 1/4 million $! Buy a ranch in a remote area, my butt!
doby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:40   #85
jayman907

Thank you.
jayman907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 13:24   #86
KBoyd

I read Terrawatt by Des Michaels, 77 Days in September by Ray Gorham, and What So Proudly We Hailed by James Howard over the past week and a half. All three were good reads.
Terrawatt has some grammar and spelling issues but the story line is good until the very end. I hope there is a sequel but I guess we will have to wait and see.

What So Proudly We Hailed - Definitely a faith based book, which might be all we have to hold onto in uncertain times. Based in south east US along the coast so a little different than most of the others I have read that take place in the midwest. I think it was .99 on Amazon.

77 Days in September was probably the best one out of the three. It was very well written and the ending wrapped everything up so you did not really wonder about any of the characters.
Old 04-02-2012, 17:08   #87
BudMan5

There was recently an online novel written on the survivakistboards, "Going Home":

Going Home

It was VERY popular (over 543,000 views to date). It is now going to a publisher but you can follow the link and still read it.

Basically about a husband/father that is several hundredf miles from home in florida when a CME evenbt occurs and fries everything. He has a BOB and the story is about what he encounters on the way home.

It is very impressive first work by what will become a very popular author.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47   #88
TX expat

I just finished The Jakarta Pandemic by Steven Konkoly.

I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it without hesitation.

It's about a flu pandemic and how one family, and one neighborhood, survives the myriad challenges that encompass a society ravaged by disease, hunger and a breakdown of infrastructure.
TX expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 17:45   #89
quake

I also liked the Jakarta Pandemic, but I can't say 'without hesitation' or at least 'without reservation'. Liked it, the guy prepped very well, but kept doing things that seem irrational; mostly having to do with hesitation - or over-optimism - when dealing with ugliness.

Has a mossberg 590; fine shotgun choice imo. But when going out to respond to a frantic phone call at night from a neighbor about guys breaking into their basement, he loads it with three rounds - putting spare rounds in his pocket instead of in the tube - since he really shouldn't need more than that.

Repeatedly being directly threatened ("next time you won't hear us coming", etc) by the main predator of the book, yet not willing to take action 'yet'.

Things like that annoyed me, but I still would absolutely recommend it as an overall good read.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...

Last edited by quake; 07-03-2012 at 17:47..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 16:22   #90
meshmdz
OBAMA 2012

Send a message via AIM to meshmdz Send a message via Yahoo to meshmdz Send a message via Skype™ to meshmdz
lots of good survival apps on the iStore so you can buy them on your iDevice. i have a few on my iPhone.
meshmdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 15:03   #91
Tazz10m
Mod Aerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnshooter View Post
I just got done reading "North of the Sun" by Fred Hatfield. He lived in Alaska and trapped all winter. Very good book.
Dude! Great book! I've read that! That guy was my NEIGHBOR here in Washington! Everyone should read that book!

Another good book my Godparents gave me as a kid is "Survival With Style".

Find out what all the fuzz is about... seriously... get AGrip!

Brooks W. Speier
www.BrooksTactical.com Official AGripô Manufacturer Website

AGripô Installation Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlnDjdfWkLY

Never let anyone who is clueless about defense tell you what you can and can't do to protect yourself and others.

Μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Tazz10m; 05-04-2013 at 15:04..
Tazz10m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40   #92
quake

I finished "Above Reproach" by J.D. Kinman this past weekend. It was recommended by LongGun1 and was pretty good.

Typical story of Jihadists in the USA. Unrealistic to some extent at times, largely concerning coincidences of characters' interactions and happening to be in a 'the right place' on occasion, but overall pretty good.

Old 06-27-2013, 22:39   #93
Josh B

The Survival Medicine Handbook

Hi All,

I just bought the latest very of The Survival Medicine Handbook. It;s a big book! It has great information on grid-down type of medical scenarios. It also has a good section on herbal medications.
I'd recommend it for your library.
Josh B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54   #94
Kahr_Glockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotplastic View Post
Does anyone have Deep Winter and Shattered in PDF ?? Would appreciate an email of them if you please.... elglockATgmailDOTcom

thank you
http://sf.arpnic.net/

I had been looking for these for a while and just refound the website.
Quote:
Roering
Trying to fight the police off is one thing. Trying to do it while naked takes real commitment.
Kahr_Glockman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 20:15   #95
quake

Recently read Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose". Pretty good, with the caveat that the first third of the book or so is really like reading an Earl Nightingale book more than a typical prep-how-to book. Not a bad thing inherently - I'm a Nightingale fan - it just surprised me.

Never saw whatever show that was (Dual Survival?) that Lundin was on, and never read anything else of his, but overall this was pretty good.

$7.39 kindle & $12-something physical version: