Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-20-2006, 21:29   #1
02LimitedX

Considering joining up

I am looking into joining the Marine Corps. I am 21 years old and ready for a change. I havent talked to a recruiter yet, but I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or ask when I talk with one. I guess I have to take the ASVAB test? Any thing else I should be thinking about? Thanks for the replies!
02LimitedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19   #2
ret_marine2003

Do you have:

1. H.S. Dip or GED?
2. Any criminal record whatsoever including any incidents that may have occurred as a juvenile?
3. Any outstanding debt?
4. Any physical or mental conditions?
5. Any dependants?

6. What do you do now?

7. What would you like to do in the future?

8. What have you always wanted to do?

What is your height and weight?

Are you fit enough to pass the entry level qualifications?

Are you willing to dedicate yourself to surpassing the minimum qualifications?

Are you willing to follow all orders no matter how senceless they may seem at the time?

Are you capable of learning in a stress environment?

Are you willing to commit to four years of active duty and an additional four years of inactive duty?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:35   #3
bsjones84

I'm 22 right now and joined when I was 21 after spending three years working full time and going to college more than full time. I'm still in MOS training, but I love it. The training is the best you'll find. When talking to a recruiter about enlisting, ask about jobs. You don't want to go in without having locked-on a job. Have the recruiter go over what jobs the Marine Corps offers and what jobs are available. If he tells you that you can get anyone you want, be careful. There are only a certain number of jobs available for each month/quarter (whatever the time period is) and once those are gone it's much harder to lock on the job. Spend some time thinking about what you want to do and then see if it's available. If it isn't available, don't feel bad about waiting. In addition to talking to the recruiter, talk to other Marines that are around the office if you know them. If there are other people who have signed but are waiting to go to boot camp, talk to them also.
Something else to consider is what type of enlistment you want-active or reserve. If you have a bachelors or are a junior in college you might be able to get into PLC and be an officer. If you want to take advantage of the education benefits, talk to the recruiter about what's available. You can get the GI bill, Marine Corps college fund, and while on active duty the Marine Corps offers good tuition assistance. Even if college isn't big on your list, take some classes anyways when you can because it helps for promotions when you start pickin up rank.
As far as it goes for the ASVAB, it's a basic test of knowledge in various subjects. You don't need to study for it or anything; however, if you want to be more prepared there are study/prep materials availalbe. You can usually find them at a library. There's also a "sample" version of the ASVAB. I forget how to get to it, but if you talk to a recruiter, ask him about it and you'll have an idea of how you'll do on the ASVAB.
I don't know your reasons for considering the Marine Corps over other branches, but it's the right decision to make. You'll get better training in the Marine Corps. Other branches might be able to offer money or more jobs because they have a bigger budget for those things, but the training is much better in the Corps. If you do decide to enlist, you won't regret it. If you have any other questions drop a line on my email (bsjones84@hotmail.com). I'd be glad to tell you how things have been for me and what I've learned so far. There are also plenty of other Marines around here who have been in the Corps much longer than me that can tell you more, maybe even a recruiter or two.

Jones
bsjones84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:11   #4
ret_marine2003

Something else to consider is what type of enlistment you want-active or reserve.

If your goal is college consider ROTC or reserve

If you have a bachelors or are a junior in college you might be able to get into PLC and be an officer.

If you want to take advantage of the education benefits, talk to the recruiter about what's available. You can get the GI bill, Marine Corps college fund, and while on active duty the Marine Corps offers good tuition assistance.

You will not get to go to college while on active duty unless you are an administrative duty.

Even if college isn't big on your list, take some classes anyways when you can because it helps for promotions when you start pickin up rank.

MCI's will help your rank and better apply to a new Marine than college classes. MCI's don't cost a thing and are encouraged. In the eyes of most NCO's and officers, college classes take away from mission readiness. The Marine Corps College Fund and Montgomery G.I. Bill have additional requirements attached to them. If you sign up, dont let it be for college money. You may not get what you paid for. Sign up because you feel it is the right thing to do for you, god, contry, and the USMC.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:25   #5
inkslut
NRA Member

Send a message via Yahoo to inkslut
Quote:
Originally posted by ret_marine2003
Do you have:

1. H.S. Dip or GED?
2. Any criminal record whatsoever including any incidents that may have occurred as a juvenile?
3. Any outstanding debt?
5. Any dependants?

6. What do you do now?

Are you willing to follow all orders no matter how senceless they may seem at the time?

Are you willing to commit to four years of active duty and an additional four years of inactive duty?
What he said. Now shut down your computer and go enlist!
inkslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:59   #6
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

You really do need to see a recruiter. There are waivers for almost anything if you have problems. The only advice that I'll give is make sure you fully understand what you're getting yourself into and know that the GI bill is a joke. last time I checked it pays a four year benefit of around $36,000 and that isn't anything if you're going to a major school. It's eaiser and better for you to take out low intrest school loans. Other than that do what inkslut said and get moving.
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 17:56   #7
02LimitedX

1. H.S. Dip or GED?
High School Diploma, year and a half college (I hated every minute)

Nope, clean slate.

3. Any outstanding debt?
None.

No.

5. Any dependants?
No.

6. What do you do now?
Salesman/Rental Dept @ Hardware store

Not really sure other than the Corps.

Not really sure here...

5 ft 10 and 160

I am sure I am.

Absolutely.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. Maybe Career if I enjoy it as much as I think I will.
Old 12-21-2006, 21:56   #8
kingsnake

USMC

Ive been out for two years, I did my four and got out The (PFT) is minimum 3 pull ups 20 max, 100 crunches in two minutes and being able to run 3 miles in under 24 minutes?? mine was 27 cause I got the senior sitizens discount anyway I will never forget all the good times or the bad ones OOOHRAA!!
kingsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 13:23   #9
ret_marine2003

Quote:
Originally posted by 02LimitedX
1. H.S. Dip or GED?
High School Diploma, year and a half college (I hated every minute)

Nope, clean slate.

3. Any outstanding debt?
None.

No.

5. Any dependants?
No.

6. What do you do now?
Salesman/Rental Dept @ Hardware store

Not really sure here...

5 ft 10 and 160

I am sure I am.

Absolutely.

Are you willing to follow all orders no matter how senseless they may seem at the time?
Yes.

Yes.

Yes. Maybe Career if I enjoy it as much as I think I will.

Not really sure here...

These two answers are your only obstacle if all else is accurate.

You need to have a perception of what you want to be or do in the future to be successful in the USMC or life in general. Young Marines without long term goals rely entirely on the forces of divine intervention and luck. The majority of them do not fare well and do not make a career of it.

If you have never imagined yourself as an astronaut, construction worker, builder, welder, truck driver, doctor, lawyer, etc... as a child or young adult and thought that you would want to be one when you grew up, now is the time to act on it.
Most people carry with them a dream or idea of who they want to be and an image of themselves in that position.

If you always wanted to be a soldier or grunt, that's cool.
But consider something else you have dreamed of being as well.
0311 and related fields are hard on the body. You may only be suitable for an enlistment or two. After that your knees, back, and hearing are effected enough to effect your performance. A skill is good to have when your ride is over.

It is a good thing that I have retired because if I got out young I would be in trouble. There just isn't much of a call for people with an infantry and explosive ordinance background in civilian life, and when people learn that is what you did for twenty plus years, they treat you with a degree of apprehension.
Old 12-22-2006, 16:44   #10
Marine8541
iseedeadpeople

Quote:
Originally posted by ret_marine2003
[COLOR=red] and when people learn that is what you did for twenty plus years, they treat you with a degree of apprehension.
I spent 20+ in the Infantry side of the house and even my B bills were all related some how to 03 or weapons training and I have never been treated with apprehension of any degree or form. There are many jobs that 03's are qualified for either directly or indirectly and many government jobs offer preferential hiring of Vets. Right now Aurora PD (the second largest city in CO) is looking for PO and is giving preference to Vets and extra points for 03, 08, 21, 23, and 58 fields. I knew guys from the 03 field who became cops, firemen, worked at the DMV, post office, Coors, TSA, city, state county, and fed jobs, and all were had by using their service. You're no more skill challenged when you get out as a 03 as a 35 (motor transport) or 33 (food service) or 43 (pub affairs) or most of the 39 cats of primary MOS. Most Marines parlay the service not the job into civie life.

I had a good friend who joined and became an 11 utilities so he could learn all about refrigaration repair and hygine equiptment and all that. When he got out he quickly found that the equiptment he used in the suck was 25 years behind what civies use and couldn't get a job in that field but he has spent the last 15 years at the county handing out plates , a job he would have never had if he hadn't been a marine. In the end take the field you want not the field you think has the best chance for you to get a civie job.

Last edited by Marine8541; 12-22-2006 at 17:16..
Marine8541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:05   #11
ret_marine2003

I will have to respectfully disagree with you on this issue citing my personal experience as well as my experience and observations while serving as a veteran's service rep over the past two years.

It took most of my college money to obtain state certification to work L.E.
I work in my field part time and enjoy it, but believe me; employers do treat you with apprehension and if I applied to the current administration in the same department I probably would not be hired for fear of a vet "going postal" or reverting to military tactics during a stress situation.
I was hired by a great man who also did his time (Army and Navy) and retired for a third time a year after I was hired.

(Military experience or not, if you are not state certified, do not apply to anything but state police in Michigan)

Most of the former military members that are in the work search programs come from MOS fields that lack a viable skilled trade.

It would seem infantrymen and swabbies need the most assistance crossing over.

You have tons of skills, but few of them are direct crossovers for employment in the civilian world. During Seps you will be given assistance writing an application and learning about what fields you cross over to.
I have several years supervisory experience that make me uniquely qualified to be a manager at Denny's or a production supervisor at a factory if I didn't get MCOLES certification and take additional college classes.

A guy with a young family to provide food and shelter for would have a harder time trying to make the college time work.

There are federal jobs. Some of them are easy to get into, others are not. I had been offered a few before I got out. The pay would have been good, but the locations were always bad.

I have a younger wife who wanted to go home to Michigan, so that is where I went.

There are few federal jobs in Michigan.

Your mileage may very, if you are in a coastal state there is bound to be more opportunity in the federal jobs field.

In closing, consider what you have always wanted to do when making your choice. This post is not intended to scare you off. It is to make you aware of what it is really going to be like. I am not posting a "I know this guy who... or a "I have a friend (of a step-brothers sisters second cousin) who went directly to work for big money corp. and is paid the big bucks to ..."

All of this that I post has been from my experience and the experience of others that I am trying to assist as a service rep.

I don't regret serving my time, good and bad.
I wouldn't be the man I am today without it.
I care less for the misconceptions and politics I have to wade through to get service-members the assistance they need.
It seems (in my experience) that the one's who need it most come from Naval (technical big ship related) and 03 & 11B fields.

Most of my friends who have are out are very successful and happy with what they do.

Most of them were just as successful and happy in the service and in their field.

I wish the same success for any new servicemember who signs up for the ride of a lifetime today.

I have seen a lot of kids go open contract who had great potential end up washing out because they had unrealistic expectations and found themselves doing something that they perceived to be trivial and unimportant.

This is why I ask you to consider what you have always wanted to do when making this decision.

I look at it this way:

The Armed Forces are way behind in their methods to match skills to need. They look at immediate need only and have tunnel vision when looking at the future. I know it isn't all fun to be a recruiter, I have been there before. I know what some recruiters will do to get their numbers. I always tried to match the prospect to their assessed level, attitude, current skill, and desire over pushing open contract.

Those that were good matches from the start made it and were happy. those who were good prospects usually completed successfully but their satisfaction was always less than the first group. Then there are those others who usually wash out right away or don't complete their first enlistments.

I try to keep as many people in that first group as possible because it is the only group that enjoys both parties receiving 100% from each-other.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:04   #12
Wrangler100
NRA Patron Mbr

Join.

When you're standing on the grinder during graduation you'll be glad you did and you'll find out what you're made of...

Semper Fi!
Wrangler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:10   #13
02LimitedX

The career I think I'd most enjoy would be in L.E. Either state or local level.
Old 12-24-2006, 00:18   #14
ret_marine2003

Quote:
The career I think I'd most enjoy would be in L.E. Either state or local level.
Excellent.

The Marines will give you many of the skills that are necessary for longevity in that field. (irregardless of what MOS)

All you have to do is learn those skills and remain trainable.

Needs and rules change with the mission.

M.P.'s are not direct crossovers to civilian L.E., but it isn't a bad way to go and many of those skills you would learn will apply to civilian L.E. Just about every branch of service is looking for more M.P.'s right now.

Many of the people I work with were former infantry or combat arms related groups that worked with the infantry.

Keep in mind that you will need to keep your tattoos reasonable, debts squared away and paid up on time, and you will have to be certified according to the laws in your state when you decide to seek a L.E. job outside of the armed forces.

Not all L.E. jobs are physically demanding, but many are.
Keep in mind that L.E. jobs are easier than infantry work most of the time.

The toughest thing is the relearning and learning new ways of doing things and making them muscle memory.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:10   #15
02LimitedX

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Old 12-28-2006, 18:56   #16
02LimitedX

Ok Marines, I have an appointment with my recruiter on wednesday! Any last minute advice?
Old 12-28-2006, 22:10   #17
Armed Infidel
~ Old Warrior ~

Quote:
Ok Marines, I have an appointment with my recruiter on wednesday! Any last minute advice?
Don't drop your soap in the shower!

Seriously, always give your best and never give up! You'll be amazed at what you can do! Keep focused, remember you’re part of a team, use your individual skills and talents for the good of the team and not to exalt yourself. Don't get sucked in to any dissentious clichés or groups.

There is no greater single accomplishment this side of heaven than to become a United States Marine!

God’s speed and Semper Fidelis!

Last edited by Armed Infidel; 12-28-2006 at 22:13..
Armed Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 22:28   #18
1985 4Runner
Agitator

Quote:
Google the stories of Marines charged with murder in Iraq.

While I am proud of my service & Honorably discharged, I would not encourage anyone to enlist right now. The Marines are NOT taking care of their own & we are fighting this war with two hands & a foot tied behind our back.
On the other hand, the Corps desperately NEEDS men & women who still believe in Corps values & not a fast-track brass career. Officers who are not willing to sacrifice our Marines to further a career or satisfy a political entity, (& lose this war in the process).

We are there to Destroy the enemy. We are not being allowed to do our job.

If you choose to serve in the finest branch of our military I salute you.

God Bless you & Goodnight Chesty Puller, wherever you are.

Obama will prove to be the worst mistake the American people ever made.
1985 4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:22   #19
squeakr

"You'll get better training in the Marine Corps. Other branches might be able to offer money or more jobs because they have a bigger budget for those things, but the training is much better in the Corps."

I would have to qualify this as it is definitely not true in the Hi-Tech sector. As for combat tactics and weapons and physical training you can't beat the Corps (excpet for the special forces but they are always the exception. As for the skilled trades, I would disagree. I thought the same thing until I got out and started working with those from other forces and the Navy and Air Force definitely get better technical training (and have better budgets). The Marines have no training for Medical (we are treated by the Navy and in some cases the Army), the Navy has Nuclear training (can almost be guaranteed a civilian job, as my Dad's company, the largest Electricity conglomerate and owner of the most Nuke plants, hires exclusively from the Naval side for its reactor operators due to the nuclear sub training and that there is very little civilian side training that exists for this job), and the Air Force and Army have better technology, hence more advanced training. When I was in, the latest and greatest gear that we were fielding to replace our units had been in use in the Army and Air Force for over 5 years (heck we couldn't even communicate with them as our equipment was so outdated). When we went to class on the repair of it, the class was taught by Army instructors as they had been using it for 5 years already.
Enough said on that, though as you are looking at possibly L.E. as a career and the only better background for that job would maybe be the Air Force, and I say maybe as the training is really close.
Don't think that I am bitter, as I don't regret joining the Marines and giving up all I have for my country (I am on full disability from the Corp due to injuries sustained in service, as it has made me the person I am today. I look back on my time in the Corps (the good and the bad) and regret nothing. I am just saying look at all options as some services can offer more if you are sure of what you want. If all you want is to be a Marine, then no other service can offer that. Even though others may have gotten better training than I, they all state that I have the better respect for having done what I have done.

Flat out.....the title Marine commands respect (the only soldiers that have told me they don't feel less in title are the special ops guys, I also work with Rangers and SEALs) but they have earned that right as have my fellow Marines.

The only question I have is why do the Marines not get their own budgets? They are considered a Branch of the military, but their budget always comes as a portion of the Naval budget. It is high time that we got our own budget. My Navy friends always tried to down play the title of Marine by telling me that I was just a department of the Navy. I responed yes that is true....the MEN'S department and that kills them.

But if you think you had it bad try going through Boot with my name:

Dan Dailey (different spelling, but didn't stop the constant riding), although it paid off at the Ball as most drinks were free for me as everyone wanted to by the Marine Dan Dailey a drink..

Semper Fi
squeakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07   #20
ret_marine2003

Almost all of the Marine training outside of Infantry and Comm is conducted at Army, Navy, or Air-force training facilities.

The training for these non-infantry MOS groups is the same as the training the doggies, squids, and chair force receive.

Because of this, nobody else has the edge on training for these things.
There are some portions of advanced training in some MOS groups that receive modification to suit Marine Corps needs and logistics.
Explosive Ordinance training is a good example of this.
Marines and Army use different ordinance and equipment.
EOD training in the Marine Corps is/was coveted and spots were rare. You had to have a little rank and be squared away to get that training. When I went I noticed that the Army would send anyone that wanted to go EOD and there were a lot of new boots there. Some failed to complete the training.

All infantrymen receive basic medical training and retrain annually or bi-annually.

The Marine corps has Navy Corpsmen for more serious medical services. It is a good arrangement and makes sense if you think about it.

As I said before, if you want medical, join the Navy or the Army.

Another poster mentioned Marines being tried for crimes against civilians.
All branches of the armed services have had members charged with crimes against civilians at some time or another. We are all people from different backgrounds, we are all Americans or want to be Americans. People are imperfect and make mistakes. Some mistakes are more serious than others. There are good people and bad people too. It is like anything else in life.

Most of the service-members that have been brought up on charges failed to use discretion and common sense and are facing the consequences for their actions.

Keep in mind that you have orders and are to obey all LAWFULL orders. Does this mean that when your captain tells you to do something you get to debate it on the basis of an unknown or perceived threat? -NO-
This means that when someone tells you to do something that you know is absolutely morally wrong to ANOTHER PERSON you don't have to do it and should refer that individual to someone further up in your chain of command.

This may include setting of a grenade in the green zone because you want to go home, putting dog collars on prisoners, doing other stupid and pointless things to prisoners, and allowing people to take pictures while you do these things. It may also include any kind of sexual assault on anyone at any time and definitely include any and all attempts to harm yourself or other Marines.
You will be taught the difference between your weapon and your gun in boot camp, make sure you don't confuse it.

Use common sense and be the best man that you can possibly be and you will be safe from the criminal justice system.

Some people are charged and are victims of circumstance, and most of those people are cleared of any wrong doing by a jury of enlisted men. (This is something that you rarely find in a "Google" search because once the news becomes positive it is considered no longer worth reporting.)