SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-22-2006, 17:29   #1
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Send a message via Yahoo to ULVER

Experiences With Poisonous Snakes In Georgia>?

I have posted this question in several state forums. Now, it's time for my own backyard, so to speak.

I'm a native Ga., boy and have romped in the woods all my life, mostly the north Georgia mountains. My "mountain man" grandfather spoke of "rattlers" as fat as an arm, but thankfully, I have never encountered a dangerous snake except onnce. That was a Copperhead, and actually although quite wooded, it was inside the metro Atlanta perimeter!

I have friends in Macon, who say after that city, there's nothing south but "flat asphalt & rattlesnakes." I recall there used to be yearly "round-ups" in southern Georgia. Personally, I have come to understand their role in the scheme of nature, though I still don't want them in my backyard.

However, most of all, I am curious about Water Moccasins in Georgia. I love "riverwalk" in the streams and rivers in North Georgia, in the summer. I believe there are no Water Moccasins in the mountain areas. Is this not true?

Anyway, any thoughts or experiences I would find interesting. Thanks guys!
In memory of Off. Steven Trindle
In memory of Det. Dennis C. Stepnowski
ULVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 20:03   #2
Bill D

I live near Emory University in the Druid Hills area of Atlanta. Over the 48 years my family has owned the house, many copperheads, pigmy rattlesnakes, and one big big boy have been killed in the back yard, which borders a large unused wooded area.
Find the FALL LINE in Ga., and I've heard no moccasins can live above it because of the low temperatures.Don't know if thats true or not.
When I said pigmy, they just may have been small.

Last edited by Bill D; 12-22-2006 at 20:10..
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:37   #3
jimmiedt43

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiedt43
killed 4 mossicans

I worked for a private mtn resort about 5 years ago in Rabun County (NEGA). On the property, there was a small pond with a few ducks that people would come feed. One summer I killed 4 mossicans there verified by a DNR buddy of mine. Rare but if they find a warm place to spend the winter they can survive.
Old 12-25-2006, 17:59   #4
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Re: killed 4 mossicans

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmiedt43
I worked for a private mtn resort about 5 years ago in Rabun County (NEGA). On the property, there was a small pond with a few ducks that people would come feed. One summer I killed 4 mossicans there verified by a DNR buddy of mine. Rare but if they find a warm place to spend the winter they can survive.
OUCH! I didn't want to hear that! I'm from Tiger, originally. Rabun county is where I do most of my playing in the water.

I was told there were no Water Moccasins north of Macon, but I wondered why so many north Georgia counties had "Moccasin" this & that for names of rivers & lakes, if there were none there. I thought maybe they were mistaking simple water snakes for the Cottonmouths.

I would be interested in the details of the encounters. The snakes nature & location, and how you dispatched them? QUITE curious...

Thanks...
Old 12-28-2006, 13:48   #5
MalumProhibitum

There are DEFINITELY water moccasins north of Macon! Metro Atlanta - had one try to bite me and barely missed! Not an experience to be forgotten easily.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/index.php

http://georgiacarry.org/

Old 12-29-2006, 11:41   #6
brazen_atl

Whoever said there are no Cottonmouths north of Macon does not know much about snakes.

I've walked up on plenty in life time in the Atlanta area and even further north, mostly doing Forestry work.
I usually find them around lakes more than mountain streams.
They like to sun themselves a lot and can be found on shore, but they will mostly head for the water/hiding spot as soon as they detect you approaching (This is when I'm on shore).
In my experience , they like slower moving water, and lots of sun.
I've never walked up on one in an unbroken forest.

I used to do a lot of "river/creek walking" as a kid and even in college, and never had a problem. Just be smart and you should be ok.
Old 01-01-2007, 13:38   #7
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Moccasins

I researched this site a bit. The guy is a teenager, but he seems to know his stuff. He claims that there are no Water Moccasins in north Georgia. I wonder if we are simply seeing water snakes?

http://www.georgiaherp.com/cottonmouth.html
Old 01-02-2007, 15:14   #8
MalumProhibitum

Ulver, hard to tell from that site which mine was. It was solid black, huge, fat, and when it raised it's head to strike at me it's mouth was bright white.

Scared the living . . . out of me.

This was in Rockdale County.

I am no snake expert, but I have always thought it was a cottonmouth, and I got a very close look at its mouth! What do you think?
Old 01-02-2007, 17:01   #9
ULVER
Dixie Rebel

Take no chances...

Quote:
Originally posted by MalumProhibitum
Ulver, hard to tell from that site which mine was. It was solid black, huge, fat, and when it raised it's head to strike at me it's mouth was bright white.

I am no snake expert, but I have always thought it was a cottonmouth, and I got a very close look at its mouth! What do you think?
Take no chances! I guess anything could happen. Someone e-mailed me from The Everglades. Rangers were receiving reports, that there were Cobras sighted in the swamp.

Turns out, some idiot ditched his collection, because he came to the conclusion they "needed to be free." Yup, there are Monacle Cobras in a small area of the Everglades now.

I'm sure, it could happen with about any snake.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:18   #10
Joe D

What's the deal about snakes? You posted the same questions in the Mississippi section. Are you afraid of snakes? Heck I remember catching all kinds of snakes when I was a kid. Some were poisonous some were not. No big deal. Just pin their head down with a stick and grab them.
Old 01-03-2007, 21:28   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

cotton mouth water maccasins live as far north as Virgina, that i know of....
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:39   #12
brazen_atl

Smithsonian National Zoological Park: Cottonmouth Fact Sheet
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/Re...ottonmouth.cfm

It says southern Virgina to Texas
Old 01-31-2007, 18:57   #13
whiskerz

Had them in NC when I was a kid and I have seen them here. I have killed at least 2 rattlers and 1 copperhead at my house in Newnan. I also let friendly snakes roam .
whiskerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 21:05   #14
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

When I was a mere sprout, maybe three, my grandfather owned some land with a lake in Polk County, GA. Once my mom and dad and I went out there for a boat ride. Mom took me for a walk around the lake while Dad was getting something out of the car. We were a good ways away from Dad when Mom saw a huge (what we've always called a) water moccasin a few feet from me. She grabbed my arm and ran back to the boat dock, and I don't think my feet touched the ground during the trip.

We then started to get into the boat, only to find that the bottom of the boat was six inches deep in water and ALIVE with little moccasins. We got back in the car and gave up our fishing plans.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 22:47   #15
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you are worried about snakes being poisonous, don't eat them.

Now, venomous snakes...that's a different story.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26   #16
jimmiedt43

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiedt43
Ive studied snakes and raised several reptiles.....have handled everything from gaboon vipers to ribbon snakes....there are defintiely cotton mouths north of macon..
Old 08-16-2011, 15:08   #17
FillYerHands
you son of a

Slightly related. Canebrake rattler at John's Mountain WMA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Clip? Magazine? Who cares? Take

|
|
Life Member |
FillYerHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 19:32   #18
Road Dog

I live on the GA/TN border. When I was kid my Dad killed a huge moccassin. The snake opened up his mouth and it was white as a cloud. A 22 dispatched him.

I have seen them in several low lying areas throughout the years. The ones I have seen are fat, stubby, and black as coal.
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 17:32   #19
insanity.
CLM Number 52
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalumProhibitum View Post

Not sure if this member is even active any more, but I can 100% confirm a few nice fatties in Rockdale county.
insanity. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09   #20
XDfense

Really old thread here, but I know for sure cottonmouths and copperheads are rampant in North Georgia. A camping buddy's father was bit last fall while walking near a stream. He never even saw it until it was too late. He had to be airlifted to Chattanooga's hospital where he spent 5 days there.

I've also seen them on several golf courses in Gwinnett county.
XDfense is offline   Reply With Quote