Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-08-2007, 18:12   #1
FLM

Grassroots SC is alive

I got a new issue of The Defender today. Thw website has been updated also. It seems that they've hired a professional CEO to run the organization. Sounds good to me even though membership dues will be going up. We need Grassoots SC to be strong and active.

Machiavelli
FLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:01   #2
B Wood
Who Dares Wins

I am really disappointed in Grass Roots.

I paid my membership...and saw exactly NOTHING for it. I got one envelope with a sticker...no updates....no papers....squat.

Heard it was a bit of an "elite" club......that looked down their noses at other areas in the state.

they may be taking too little action....too late.

too bad ......their idea was sound...but their follow-through stunk.

they lost my respect
B Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:13   #3
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

They're hardly "elite". "Burned out" would be a better description given that about 1% of the membership was doing 99.999% of the work.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:34   #4
The Pontificator
Angry Samoan

Quote:
Originally posted by B Wood
I am really disappointed in Grass Roots.

I paid my membership...and saw exactly NOTHING for it. I got one envelope with a sticker...no updates....no papers....squat.

Heard it was a bit of an "elite" club......that looked down their noses at other areas in the state.

they may be taking too little action....too late.

too bad ......their idea was sound...but their follow-through stunk.

they lost my respect
Before you run your mouth please do a little bit of research into exactly how much more valuable your CWP is now vs. in 1996 due to Grassroots efforts.
The Pontificator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:16   #5
B Wood
Who Dares Wins

LOL

That is the response I expected.

When I paid my dues, I was told about all subscription, etc....none of which ever materialized.

No communications at all.

None. Zip. Squat. Nada.

Maybe your reply shows the attitude at GrassRoots.

That is what numerous people that own the gun shops I frequent say.

care to apologize?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:20   #6
B Wood
Who Dares Wins

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pontificator
They're hardly "elite". "Burned out" would be a better description given that about 1% of the membership was doing 99.999% of the work.
I will say this.......

If Grassroots COMMUNICATED with the membership........maybe they wouldn't be burned out. I received NO communications from them other than an initial envelope. I routinely write my elected officials...but when they failed to even update their website how were members to know?

I majored in physics....not mind reading.

and I did try and contact Grassroots numerous times....all of which were NOT replied to.
Old 06-24-2007, 20:15   #7
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
I am not going to apoligize for their behavior. As a member that has put my 2 cents of work into this oeganization I too became frustrated with some of the replies toward membership efforts that we where not pulling our weight.

With that said, let me state that all you have to do is go to the website and join the electronic email system and you should not have any problem staying abreast of the latest goings-on within GRSC.

Damn good outfit, just somewhat misguided at times.

So now, you can put up or shut up, the choice is yours.

BTW, thanks for joining the group. Their heart is in the right place I believe.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59   #8
B Wood
Who Dares Wins

I never questioned their intentions...........hell.......I joined.

I did question their promises and delivery of promises in the literature I saw when I joined. Last year was a dismal failure of communications for them. Website remained the same for months at a time, and no replies to any contacts I made. Kind of seemed like they took the money and ran. A LOT of people that joined saw the same, and expressed the same concerns.

I do know of several situations where other in different parts of the state were discouraged from assisting..........since they were NOT from the Columbia and surrounding areas. I heard that from several well qualified individuals that TRIED to further develop the efforts....but were basically told to go away. These situations were ALL different people from different areas that I know, and all are quite well qualified.

As I stated the frustration was with the promises made, and the failure of delivery for the dues I paid. I am happy to see changes being made.........but unsure if I will support due to the lack of communications I received in the past.

I still have not received a single copy of the Defender since I joined........

I know it is now downloadable....which is good....but do not promise me something that you will fail to deliver on.
Old 06-27-2007, 14:13   #9
FLM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pontificator
Before you run your mouth please do a little bit of research into exactly how much more valuable your CWP is now vs. in 1996 due to Grassroots efforts.
Exactly right. Every good change to the CCP law here has come about because Grassroots lobbied for it.

Machiavelli
FLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 15:36   #10
Glockrunner
HOOYA DEEPSEA

Send a message via Yahoo to Glockrunner
Quote:
...I do know of several situations where other in different parts of the state were discouraged from assisting..........since they were NOT from the Columbia and surrounding areas. I heard that from several well qualified individuals that TRIED to further develop the efforts....but were basically told to go away. These situations were ALL different people from different areas that I know, and all are quite well qualified.

I still have not received a single copy of the Defender since I joined........

I know it is now downloadable....which is good....but do not promise me something that you will fail to deliver on.
They have never turned away any help I have offered so I cna't comprehend that statement.

It chaps by butt too about the Defender not being delivered in a timely fashion. Having had this occur I contacted them. I have had good results.

Norm Price used to bring us bales of the Defender for us to place around in the Gun Shops. Don't know that this effort is still happening anymore though. It was a good way to get the word out.

I earned my lapel pin, do you have one?
Old 07-01-2007, 13:51   #11
MitchbSC

Quote:

I do know of several situations where other in different parts of the state were discouraged from assisting...
Specifics please? Include year.

Why? I know of several situations where others in different parts of the state were assisting GrassRoots. They turned their volunteer position under the GrassRoots banner into a platform to advocate right-to-life, Confederate separatism, and tin-foil hat garbage. Depending on what type of "assistance" was proposed, GrassRoots might've turned it down for good reason. GrassRoots is a single issue gun rights organization. Period. End of story.

In the years where the newsletter wasn't published, GrassRoots Leadership kept the money in the bank. It wasn't spent on hookers, blow, executive salaries, or "Friends Of" banquets. The organization was kept alive on the SCFirearms and GrassRoots Leadership Yahoo Groups emails lists. Did you join those email lists?
MitchbSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 15:32   #12
B Wood
Who Dares Wins

the specifics, will remain private affairs between the people who attempted to assist and GrassRoots. The people I know of in these situations are honorable, upstanding SC citizens, and are State of SC CCW instructors.

As for knowing about other avenues of communication....had NO IDEA...as my attempts at contacting GrassRoots then was unsucessful with any return call or email.

It seems as though they are turning a corner now...but then.....they took my money and did not deliver on what was promised.
Old 07-01-2007, 22:01   #13
MitchbSC

Quote:
the specifics, will remain private affairs between the people who attempted to assist and GrassRoots. The people I know of in these situations are honorable, upstanding SC citizens, and are State of SC CCW instructors.

As for knowing about other avenues of communication....had NO IDEA...as my attempts at contacting GrassRoots then was unsucessful with any return call or email.

It seems as though they are turning a corner now...but then.....they took my money and did not deliver on what was promised.
Understood, on both discussing specifics and not delivering on a newsletter. GrassRoots still delivered on working in the Statehouse during that time. The Yahoo Groups email archives show this. The unfortunate choice came down fighting in the Statehouse or putting out expensive, out-of-date-by-delivery-time newsletters. Too few volunteers were available to coordinate content after a couple key volunteers stepped down for family reasons or had passed away. (R.I.P. Norm Price.)

Yeah, I earned a lapel pin back in the day. The organization lost of boatload of momentum and member goodwill because it couldn't adapt. It annoyed the heck out of me too. They still charted a principled path during the bad times.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:11   #14
walrus108

Send a message via AIM to walrus108
Quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC
The organization was kept alive on the SCFirearms and GrassRoots Leadership Yahoo Groups emails lists. Did you join those email lists?
I am a grassroots member but I have never heard of this list. Tried to find in yahoo but couldn't. Got link?
Old 07-04-2007, 18:43   #15
MitchbSC

/* General SC Firearms Discussion */

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scfirearms/

/* SC Grassroots Business Only */

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ts_leadership/

They're mentioned in the newsletters ... but in really tiny sidebar boxes.
Old 07-22-2007, 15:48   #16
Fingolfin
Engorged Member

I know that GRSC has some REALLY dedicated people that get up there at the House and really bust their chops for legislation. I feel that dollar for dollar, my money is better spent with Grassroots than with the NRA or even the GOA. In fact the NRA has tried to take credit for victories that were largely won by Grassroots battles alone.

If a member is told they are going to get something as far as merchandise or mail and they don't, I can understand that. But this is a small, agile, local organization and until recently nobody was on the payroll for the work they were putting out. Despite that I can assure you they are working for gun owners in South Carolina.
“The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.” -The Supreme Court of the United States of America
Fingolfin is offline   Reply With Quote