Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:59   #1
txgho1911

Indiana Legislation Jan 2007

Read em and bear in mind that some of this legislation is aimed at Indianapolis specifically and RKBA in general across the state.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...=1&request=all

This listing includes all proposed legislation for this year. This is a new House with many new Dem Representatives with new leadership in the House and Senate. This means there will be some laws pushed much farther than they have been allowed to go in the past.

SB 0018 -- Handgun sales. "Corrects the law passed last year that included sending a copy of 4473 to Indiana SP"

HB 1200 does the same thing as SB 0018

HB 1011 -- Regulation of firearms during an emergency. "Would bar any and all gov state to local from imposing any added restrictions on the sale, use, possession of firearms."

HB 1089 -- Local regulation of firearms.
Authored by Representative Orentlicher
"Indianapolis/Marion county total and complete exemption from the current state pre-emption. This is one we should in all directions have various reps embrace with amendments to remove the grandfather date currently in statute and maybe give it some teeth. One such tooth would be to include all State Depts including the DNR in the pre-emption."

HB 1090 -- Sale of handguns.
Authored by Representative Orentlicher
"Muddies the water in relation to gunshow vendors. Mandates one handgun a month.

HB 1118 -- Possession of firearms on certain property. "Safe storage of firearms in POV at employers property and for visitors of such."

Also there are several measures concerning Illegal aliens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

txgho1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 14:02   #2
txgho1911

As I understand how communications works when expressing views to legislators an email is worthless.
Faxes may be 100x the value in the email.
A hand written letter less than one page may be worth 100x a fax.
A personal visit to the legislators office may be worth as much or more than a handwritten letter.

The letter I am speaking of is not typed or a copy. Typed and copied may weigh somewhere between a fax and an email.

I mean this only as a guide for meaning full expression. I am sure I am not accurate in these ratings and those who know where to look them up can post them to correct me.

Old 01-15-2007, 21:33   #3
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
Thanks for the info, txgho1911!
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 16:03   #4
txgho1911

The only activity so far scheduled for firearms related bills are as follows. I will monitor the committee schedules for other events of interests.

AGENDA FOR: Commerce, Public Policy & Interstate Cooperation

MEETING: January 17, 130PM, Room #233

CHAIR: Senator Riegsecker

MEMBERS: Becker R.M., Jackman, Merritt, Steele, Walker, Weatherwax, Howard R.M.M., Breaux, Rogers, Simpson

AGENDA: SB 0018 SB 0180

NOTES: Note: Room change

Old 01-17-2007, 18:59   #5
txgho1911

Do you want to make a difference?

If Marion County is allowed full discretion on personal firearms regulation outside of current state law; Indianapolis will be in worse shape crime wise than Washington DC. Currently there is a slight disparity for older regulation not affected by state law due to a grandfather date in 1994. I have discovered less than a year ago that my Indiana Liscence to Carry Handgun was null and void in city parks in Indianapolis. I understand that other localities within the state also maintain those older regulations on city books. Many of these jurisdictions local ordinances are not known statewide and leave the otherwise law abiding individuals in probable jeopardy with a legal system that is growing more confused and incompetent with every electioneering DA.
Instead of giving this or any other locality such breadth of discretion against the law abiding individuals who in many cases have passed numerous background checks in the past. Many careers and vocations as require background checks and not just for the Indiana Handgun Liscense.

Gerald OBrien
317-418-2487

Jim, Is that the kind of material that might sway him?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 1:29 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Rep. Orentlicher's phone call

Just a few minutes ago I received a call from Indiana State Representative David Orentlicher (D). The conversation was about his two bills (HB 1089 and HB 1090) that would allow Marion County to circumvent Indiana's preemption law and limit handgun purchases to one per month respectively.

He listened to my argument that gun laws have no effect on crime and research has proven that to be the case. Also, he acknowledge my position that criminals don't buy guns, they steal them and it's only the good people that are burdened with restrictive gun laws.

Rep. Orentlicher asked me how one hand gun per month purchases would inconvenience gun owners. He asked if a person couldn't buy one gun and then wait until the next month a buy another one.

My examples I gave him were if the buyer was wanting to purchase a matched set of guns for his collection or perhaps wanted to get a pair of consecutive serial numbered guns for his kids. I told him that this purchase could be at a gun show where the dealer would not be available after the show. Or if someone from out of state was passing through and wanted to have the guns transfered to their home state it would pose a hardship.

He told me he had not thought about those circumstances. I could tell in the way he said that, that he had not thought along those lines.

I told him that our group the 2nd Amendment Patriots will support
anyone on crime control but we take a hard stand against gun control.
He asked me it I could send him some ideas on how to target the crime problems in our state.

I don't know what effect we can have on him, but we'll never know if we don't try. At least he called and that's a first step.

I have some ideas I'd like to share with him on going after crime and leaving the guns and good people alone. But before I do that I'd like for all of you to give me your personal perspective on what to send Rep. Orentlicher.

I hope that the Indiana state legislators who are on this e-mail list will lend their advice on this as well and that if they get time during the session they can pull Rep. Orentlicher over to the side and help stir him in the right direction, too.

One of our faithful defenders for gun owners, Indiana State Representative Jackie Walorski, who is a shooter herself with a clear understanding of gun rights,just called as I'm writing this letter. She is on the Public Policy Committee. She said she will be keeping a close watch on any anti gun legislation, including Rep. Vernon Smith's HB 1298 requiring a gun safety course before receiving a handgun license, waiting 7 days before a gun transfer can take place and prohibits more than two handguns per month.

I noticed that his HB 1298 is listed as being withdrawn prior to first reading. I don't know but I'd bet that was posted because I bet he meant that to read /one/ handgun per month instead of two.

Vernon Smith is a nut case that we have had to deal with for years and I'm told by a /very /reliable source that Orentlicher is cut from the same cloth.

Still if you want to hold your position as a gun owner and not be pushed back I suggest you jump on.

I'll wait a couple of days for any replies before I e-mail Rep.
Orentlicher with our suggestions. Send me what you have.

Thanks,

--
Jim and Margie
2nd Amendment Patriots
STAY UNITED
www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

Old 01-17-2007, 19:53   #6
rhino465

Send a message via Yahoo to rhino465
That's some good work that's happening . . .
rhino465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 18:21   #7
MakeMineaP99
Got SIG?

I mailed off some typed (because my handwriting is probably the worst of anyone on this forum) letters today, advising my State Rep. and Sen. to support the pro gun bills and vote against anti-gun/Orentlicher bills (sent two different letters, one for pro, one for anti, to each).

Federal go out soon. Make sure you write your US Rep. and US Sens. about the Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2007 (the beginning of the end of FTF sales), revisions to the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1994 (raise possession age of a handgun to 21), and an expansion of NICS (HB 297), among others.

We can make a difference, but not if we keep complaining about bills from our keyboards!

Dan
MakeMineaP99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 21:50   #8
eprn
defib jockey

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but are Indy parks really off limits for carrying?

I've never heard of this.

If true, this grandfathering garbage needs to be nipped in the bud--quickly.

C'mon--even Ohio took care of that!
eprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 23:50   #9
toots shor
Amagi

i dont think any DNR property is off limits anymore.

"Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order."
Ed Howdershelt
toots shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:34   #10
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Indy Parks is not DNR and yes by Indianapolis ordinance they are. Also are Indy owned golf courses, green ways (Monon Trail) or any property administered by Indy department of parks and rec.

added - It is not the grandfathering but the IC that allows cities to restrict on their property. Indy has codeified (sp, it's late) it.

Sec. 631-108. Discharging firearms.
It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the board of parks and recreation, to discharge any firearms or have possession of any firearms or other explosive devices, or to endanger others by the use of any weapon, article or device, within any park, playground or on any property controlled or leased by the department of parks and recreation, or on which a concession has been granted by it.
(Code 1975, ß 22-8)
Cross references: Weapons, ch. 451.
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Marion County EMA Communications Group

Last edited by R. Emmelman; 01-25-2007 at 01:43..
R. Emmelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 18:25   #11
txgho1911

DNR administrative rule changes.
This is from email most recently through Rhino.

Below is an excerpt from Chuck Bjork's announcement for the bowling pin shoot at MCFG (which some of you already received from me). I thought it was important enough to break it out and re-send it in case some of you do not read your e-mail to the bottom.

As you may know, the DNR made some significant and very positive changes to their regulations in 2006 that have dramatically reduced the state's infringements on our fundamental rights.

In addition to the hunting regulations mentioned below, don't forget that DNR director Kyle Hupfer and the Governor worked together to temporarily suspend DNR regulations that prevented you from carrying your pistol for personal defense while hunting or while on any DNR property like a state park. Those changes are temporary for now, so you should express your opinions about making them permanent to the Natural Resources Commission (as mentioned below).

Please read the excerpt below and act accordingly.
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 17:24:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: MCFG Bowling Pin Shooting 1.23.07
Finally, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources will hold a public hearing to receive comments on several proposed administrative rule changes.
Proposed rule changes include allowing rifles loaded with pistol cartridges during the deer firearm season. The hearing will be held Tuesday, Feb. 13 at 6 p.m. (EST) at the Garrison Conference Center at Ft. Harrison State Park in Indianapolis.
The proposed deer firearm season rule change language reads: - The rifle cartridge must: (A) have a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger; (B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and (C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches. This proposed deer hunting rule change language would continue the DNR's long-time position of allowing only short-to-medium range equipment for taking deer. The DNR has often received requests from the public for a rule change allowing some rifles during deer firearm season.
The Natural Resources Commission preliminarily adopted these rule changes, along with several others, in July 2006. The preliminarily adopted rules are available online at: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/about/ Click on "2006 Additional Wildlife Administrative Rule Changes".
Public comments can be submitted by e-mail, written letter, or at the public hearing. Written comments can be sent to: Hearing Officer Natural Resources Commission 402 W. Washington Street, W272 Indianapolis, IN 46204 Comments can also be e-mailed to: jkane@nrc.in.gov Written comments must be received no later than February 15. A copy of the public hearing report will be available at www.IN.gov/nrc prior to final consideration by the Natural Resources Commission. The NRC will likely consider these rule changes for final adoption in March. If approved by the NRC, attorney general and governor, the changes will become effective this summer. The Garrison Conference Center is in Ft. Harrison State Park on the east side of Indianapolis, near the intersection of Post Road and 59th St. Find a map at:
I would personally like to see this rule change, as it would allow hunters to use calibers that are already legal, in firearms that should help them be more accurate. Please take 2 minutes and send an email or letter to the DNR to let them know your feelings on the subject. If you have any questions, let me know.

Old 01-31-2007, 23:13   #12
eprn
defib jockey

I thought Indiana had total preemption, as Ohio does now.

I'm really surprised that cities are allowed to limit CCW, especially here.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04   #13
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eprn
I thought Indiana had total preemption, as Ohio does now.

I'm really surprised that cities are allowed to limit CCW, especially here.
Cities can only restrict on their property (e.g. city parks, city buildings). The only other exception to this is if a city ordinance was adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994 (Speedway has an ordinance that only allows for open carry enacted back in the 1960s )

IC 35-47-11
Chapter 11. Local Regulation of Firearms

IC 35-47-11-1
Applicability of chapter
35-47-11-1 Sec. 1. (a) Section 2 of this chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23). All other sections of this chapter apply to all units other than townships.
(b) This chapter applies only if a statute expressly grants a legislative body the authority to adopt an emergency ordinance under this chapter.
(c) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.

IC 35-47-11-2
Regulation of firearms by units other than townships
35-47-11-2 Sec. 2. Notwithstanding IC 36-1-3, a unit may not regulate in any manner the ownership, possession, sale, transfer, or transportation of firearms (as defined in IC 35-47-1-5) or ammunition except as follows:
(1) This chapter does not apply to land, buildings, or other real property owned or administered by a unit, except highways (as defined in IC 8-23-1-23) or public highways (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-14).
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Old 02-01-2007, 22:03   #14
eprn
defib jockey

Indy (and the surrounding area) seems to be one seriously screwed-up place.

I'm glad I'm in utterly boring (yet fiercely gun-friendly) SE Indiana. Compared to Cincy, this place is paradise.
Old 02-03-2007, 16:32   #15
usaf207cwf

Quote:
Originally posted by R. Emmelman
Cities can only restrict on their property (e.g. city parks, city buildings). The only other exception to this is if a city ordinance was adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994 (Speedway has an ordinance that only allows for open carry enacted back in the 1960s )[/color]
I'm so proud

Also, no anvil cannons either...
Old 02-03-2007, 20:07   #16
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by usaf207cwf
I'm so proud

Also, no anvil cannons either...
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Sir Bartis of Borg

Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Old 02-13-2007, 11:59   #17
txgho1911

Later arrivals in the house. My comments in the more recently submitted bills is After .

House Bill 1739
2007 Regular Session

DIGEST OF INTRODUCED BILL

Sale of handguns. Removes references concerning the federal national instant criminal background check system (NICS) from the law concerning the sale of handguns. Returns the law concerning the sale of handguns to the form it was in before changes concerning the NICS were made to that law during the 2006 session of the general assembly. Specifies that the form that a person purchasing a handgun must submit to a firearms dealer concerning consent to obtain the person's criminal history information may not include any information related to the handgun.

Current Status:

Representatives Murphy and Reske added as coauthors

This bill reverses ISP in the task of background checks. Adds confusion to the improvements we made last year. Jim T has commented on this earlier.

House Bill 1756
2007 Regular Session

Handgun license renewal. Establishes the criminal history data fund for the purpose of: (1) operating and maintaining the central repository for criminal history data; and (2) establishing, operating, and maintaining an electronic system for the processing of handgun license applications and renewals. Permits money in the fund to be used to establish, operate, and maintain an electronic log to record the sale of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine. Provides that certain handgun license fees will be deposited in the criminal history data fund, and repeals a provision requiring that certain handgun licensing fees be deposited in the general fund.

Current Status:

Authored by Representative Tincher

I have not read this whole piece but it looks like it allows the License Fee to fund the Criminal History database. There may be parts of this that are objectionable but I do not have any problem with ISP firearms div getting the process paid for by the fees charged. The second purpose of this bill to include OTC drug sales records soundly invalidates this as legitimate legislation.

House Bill 1397
2007 Regular Session

Firearms in locked vehicles or secure locations. Prohibits the adoption or enforcement of a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an individual who has a valid state issued permit to possess a firearm for protection purposes from legally possessing a firearm that is: (1) locked in the individual's motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is in or on the person's property; or (2) stored at a location in or on the person's property that is secure and allows the individual to check the firearm in and out when entering and leaving the person's property. Excepts possession of a firearm: (1) on school property or a school bus; (2) on certain child care and shelter facility property; (3) on penal facility property; and (4) when permitted under federal law. Provides immunity from liability to a person who does not adopt or enforce such a policy or rule. Authorizes a civil action for damages, costs, attorney's fees, and injunctive relief to remedy a violation.

Current Status:

Authored by Representative Ruppel

This is similar to HB1118 and may have better language that includes onsite safe storage facility. Hard to trust with the author who saddle us with 4473 copies to ISP if memory serves correctly. Anyone feel free to correct me.

House Bill 1644
2007 Regular Session

Community corrections employees and firearms. Allows an employee of a community corrections program to carry a firearm or handgun while acting as an employee of a community corrections program if the employee: (1) may legally carry a handgun or firearm; and (2) has successfully completed a certified handgun safety course.

Current Status:

Authored by Representative Goodin

This does not look good as far as including quasi Court or LEO color of law carry without sufficient LEO training in law concerning itís use.
Other concerns is the shoehorning of a training requirement eventualy for everyone.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:59   #18
IPDBrad

Quote:
Originally posted by txgho1911

Community corrections employees and firearms. Allows an employee of a community corrections program to carry a firearm or handgun while acting as an employee of a community corrections program if the employee: (1) may legally carry a handgun or firearm; and (2) has successfully completed a certified handgun safety course.

Current Status:

Authored by Representative Goodin

This does not look good as far as including quasi Court or LEO color of law carry without sufficient LEO training in law concerning itís use.
Other concerns is the shoehorning of a training requirement eventualy for everyone.
I think there is another way of looking at this Bill. Many City and County employees that work in hazardous environments aren't allowed to carry firearms. Examples, Zoning/Building/Right of Way Inspectors, Heath & Hospital Inspectors, etc. Those examples work all over the city, safer neighborhoods and high crime neighborhoods, yet the City/County prohibits them from legally carrying firearms.

It Community Correction employees are now allowed to carry firearms, that would be expansion of their rights.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36   #19
R. Emmelman
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IPDBrad
I think there is another way of looking at this Bill. Many City and County employees that work in hazardous environments aren't allowed to carry firearms. Examples, Zoning/Building/Right of Way Inspectors, Heath & Hospital Inspectors, etc. Those examples work all over the city, safer neighborhoods and high crime neighborhoods, yet the City/County prohibits them from legally carrying firearms.

It Community Correction employees are now allowed to carry firearms, that would be expansion of their rights.
Are they prohibited by employment policy?
Amateur Radio WI9NDY
Old 02-16-2007, 21:50   #20
txgho1911

The allowance to do so can be done through administrative rules. The training provision is what I am against. Kirt has the best explanation of what mandated training is all about. If the county is going to do it for one group of people they should just drop restrictions for all employees who can legally obtain the States license to carry. Without a training requirement the dialog could be possible recommending a level of training for those who understand what carry is all about.