SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2007, 23:45   #1
DJTeancum
922(o)=tyranny

LSU self-defense free zone questions

I know that LSU is a "firearms free zone," (and I strongly emphasize the quotation marks ) but I am not sure exactly where this area begins and ends. For example, you instantly step into a ghetto when you exit the north gates, and I would never want to walk around there without my weapon. I see signs posted near the dorms, and some just in the middle of parking lots, but I have never seen any between the Dalrymple exit all the way into LSU. At what point does the self-defense free zone start, say on Dalrymple? Any ideas?

Thanks to anyone who knows anything about this.
"The Hughes Amendment" was passed late in the day when most pro2A reps had gone home. Charles Rangel refused multiple requests for a recorded vote, then passed it after an unrecorded voice vote. Witnesses say it didn't pass. :steamed:

Last edited by DJTeancum; 02-28-2007 at 11:50..
DJTeancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:44   #2
mrwiggins
lookout ladies

Send a message via ICQ to mrwiggins
once your cross any gate

north gate, south gate, those are the LSU boundries. you step part those your in a firearm's free zone. but remember this, in louisiana your vehicle is an extension of your home, and you can legally carry your firearm in th vehicle.
bayou club #44

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mrwiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31   #3
LSP972

Re: once your cross any gate

Quote:
Originally posted by mrwiggins
... you can legally carry your firearm in th vehicle.
Better check with the campus gestapo on that. I seem to remember overhearing not long ago that the school zone prohibition superseded everything else.

If you have a CCW, call 925-4867 and ask for Randy Hidalgo. He'll probably know. But I'd touch base with LSU PD too.

I would like to think that the LSU cops would sort of look the other way regarding this, providing you don't get ignorant with your gun. There have been some recent incidents of homie preying on LSU students. But seeing some of the idealistic young morons that EVERYBODY (us, BRPD, etc.) is hiring these days, you never know...
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 15:20   #4
JadeRaven

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=78741

The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties.

(2) A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or employee.

(3) Any person having the written permission of the principal.

(4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

(6) Any student carrying a firearm to or from a class, in which he is duly enrolled, that requires the use of the firearm in the class.

(7) A student enrolled or participating in an activity requiring the use of a firearm including but not limited to any ROTC function under the authorization of a university.

(8) A student who possesses a firearm in his dormitory room or while going to or from his vehicle or any other person with permission of the administration.
JadeRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 15:27   #5
JadeRaven

I would just go by the state law and not bother asking what the LSU PD thinks, mainly because A) they probably don't know the law themselves and B) if they don't know the law and think it's illegal it would only bring more attention to you, the law-abiding citizen with his gun in his motor vehicle.

One of my friend's professors told him that she keeps her gun in her car, and that when she sked LSU police about it they said it's "no big deal as long as you keeps it in your car." Not sure if that was verbatim but they didn't assure her that it is perfectly legal and a protected constitutional right like they, in my opinion, should have done.
JadeRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:03   #6
Ben51925

Send a message via AIM to Ben51925
Re: once your cross any gate

Quote:
Originally posted by mrwiggins
north gate, south gate, those are the LSU boundries. you step part those your in a firearm's free zone. but remember this, in louisiana your vehicle is an extension of your home, and you can legally carry your firearm in th vehicle.

Don't forget the 1000 foot rule.

LRS 14:95.2
95.2. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school
property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone

A. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent
on school property, at a school sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is unlawful
and shall be defined as possession of any firearm or dangerous weapon, on one's person,
at any time while on a school campus, on school transportation, or at any school sponsored
function in a specific designated area including but not limited to athletic competitions,
dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities, or within one thousand feet of any school

Last Spring Captain Roge with the LSU Police Department was a guest speaker at an LSU Firearm Rights Coalition meeting. He did a great presentation about laws regarding guns on campus and concealed carry. We're trying to get him back to do it again this semester and advertise for it more to get more people there.

The title of this thread makes sense. This happened on 3/2 at LSU in the mid-afternoon.

"The victim stated that in the Kirby Smith parking lot he was robbed at knife-point of approximately $325.00 and two chicken dinners. The victim stated that he walked back to his vehicle which was parked in the Kirby Smith parking lot after buying lunch at the LSU Union, placed his food on top of his car, took out his keys to unlock his vehicle when two black male subjects stood up from behind his car and displayed "switchblade knives". The victim took $325.00 cash out of his front pants pocket and gave it to the subjects. The victim managed to flee from the area without injury."

LINK
Ben51925 is offline   Reply With Quote