Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-17-2007, 21:15   #1
jhokie

Send a message via AIM to jhokie
Any tips for FL CCW holder visiting VA for a while?

Gonna be visiting VA for a while and I'm just wondering if there's any unusual rules I should know. I'm aware of the open carry if alcohol is served law, but would an IWB holster worn with a very small gun (kahr pm9) count as open carry?

Also, if anyone knows, where I'm going is near the WV border, and I have no reciprocity there. So would that same open carry option work in WVU?

Thanks.
G1 Niners club member #91
Florida Glockers club member #32

Last edited by jhokie; 01-17-2007 at 21:19..
jhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:47   #2
alien-Glocker

Welcome

Welcome to the Old Dominion---

As long as you are aware of the restaurant ban, there is not much else to worry about. There is no carry in police stations, churches, Federal buildings.....

The open carry Virginia Code is pretty much subjective, it says it must be obvious you are carrying a handgun. I carry a Glock-23 and Kahr P-9 IWB when I open carry and have not had any problems. If you want just get an inexpensive paddle holster.

Check over at the state sites at www.packing.org for additional information on VA and WVA.

If you get a change to get to Northern Virginia, check ot the Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20   #3
mikedb

visiting Ashburn

I will be visiting my brother in Ashburn and am aware of the restaurant ban for CCW. Would I draw unwanted attention if I open carried in northern VA? Last time I just left my gun in the car.
mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32   #4
alien-Glocker

Youu should be fine

Check these out...

http://www.bighammer.net/index.html

The just click on "Check out the GunBlog! "

This has a running commentary of open carry and eating out in restaurants.

Also try: http://www.opencarry.org/

The go to Talk Forums and scroll down to Virginia
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41   #5
Truckee
Aging Goat

Re: Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by alien-Glocker
Welcome to the Old Dominion---

As long as you are aware of the restaurant ban, there is not much else to worry about. There is no carry in police stations, churches, Federal buildings.....

The open carry Virginia Code is pretty much subjective, it says it must be obvious you are carrying a handgun. I carry a Glock-23 and Kahr P-9 IWB when I open carry and have not had any problems. If you want just get an inexpensive paddle holster.

Check over at the state sites at www.packing.org for additional information on VA and WVA.

If you get a change to get to Northern Virginia, check ot the Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax.

Enjoy your stay.
Good info alien, thanks for helping out a visitor.

I know I'm late on this, but I wanted to clarify some things you've mentioned.
One can carry into a police station, just not into "secured areas" such as a lock-up.
One can carry into a church... just not during a "religious service" and not then only if objected to by the church authority.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42   #6
dbrowne1

Alien-

Not sure where you came up with the police station ban in VA, and the church and fed bldgs are debatable.

Concealed carry in alcohol-serving establishments, and any carry in courthouses and schools are the only clear and automatic no-fly zones.
dbrowne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 23:41   #7
Truckee
Aging Goat

Quote:
Originally posted by dbrowne1
Alien-

Not sure where you came up with the police station ban in VA, and the church and fed bldgs are debatable.

Concealed carry in alcohol-serving establishments, and any carry in courthouses and schools are the only clear and automatic no-fly zones.
Thanks for the back-up browne. We forgot one "no-fly" zone, secured areas of an airport. The general terminal areas are grey.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:16   #8
Rabbit994

Quote:
Originally posted by Truckee
Thanks for the back-up browne. We forgot one "no-fly" zone, secured areas of an airport. The general terminal areas are grey.
Wrong, Airport Terminals are completely off limits unless your a passenger with a locked up weapon is preparing to transport said weapon or retrieving weapon from baggage.

Virginia Code prohibiting weapons in Airports
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 17:23   #9
Truckee
Aging Goat

Quote:
Originally posted by Rabbit994
Wrong, Airport Terminals are completely off limits unless your a passenger with a locked up weapon is preparing to transport said weapon or retrieving weapon from baggage.

Virginia Code prohibiting weapons in Airports
Obviously in your interpretation, the "terminal" begins at the front doors of an airport building. Others have interpreted the code to state that the 'air carrier airport terminal' boundary begins at the individual carrier's desk/screening point. As I wrote, seems that the general population areas of a terminal are -grey-... but, I won't be bold enough to call you "wrong."

Also, the statute only applies to public air carriers (I think, again grey?). I know of many others that do/have carried on private flights... and there's no screening process in the private terminal.

I have requested a clarification of the statute. To date, none has been provided. I can carry, therefore this point is moot for me. However, I like to know the rules.