GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 21:15   #1
jhokie
Senior Member
 
jhokie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 192
Send a message via AIM to jhokie
Any tips for FL CCW holder visiting VA for a while?

Gonna be visiting VA for a while and I'm just wondering if there's any unusual rules I should know. I'm aware of the open carry if alcohol is served law, but would an IWB holster worn with a very small gun (kahr pm9) count as open carry?

Also, if anyone knows, where I'm going is near the WV border, and I have no reciprocity there. So would that same open carry option work in WVU?

Thanks.
__________________
G1 Niners club member #91
Florida Glockers club member #32

Last edited by jhokie; 01-17-2007 at 21:19..
jhokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:47   #2
alien-Glocker
Senior Member
 
alien-Glocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 837
Welcome

Welcome to the Old Dominion---

As long as you are aware of the restaurant ban, there is not much else to worry about. There is no carry in police stations, churches, Federal buildings.....

The open carry Virginia Code is pretty much subjective, it says it must be obvious you are carrying a handgun. I carry a Glock-23 and Kahr P-9 IWB when I open carry and have not had any problems. If you want just get an inexpensive paddle holster.

Check over at the state sites at www.packing.org for additional information on VA and WVA.

If you get a change to get to Northern Virginia, check ot the Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax.

Enjoy your stay.
__________________
Glock 23-Don't leave home without it!
alien-Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20   #3
mikedb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: brighton michigan
Posts: 668
visiting Ashburn

I will be visiting my brother in Ashburn and am aware of the restaurant ban for CCW. Would I draw unwanted attention if I open carried in northern VA? Last time I just left my gun in the car.
mikedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32   #4
alien-Glocker
Senior Member
 
alien-Glocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 837
Youu should be fine

Check these out...

http://www.bighammer.net/index.html

The just click on "Check out the GunBlog! "


This has a running commentary of open carry and eating out in restaurants.

Also try: http://www.opencarry.org/

The go to Talk Forums and scroll down to Virginia
__________________
Glock 23-Don't leave home without it!
alien-Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41   #5
Truckee
Aging Goat
 
Truckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,313
Re: Welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by alien-Glocker
Welcome to the Old Dominion---

As long as you are aware of the restaurant ban, there is not much else to worry about. There is no carry in police stations, churches, Federal buildings.....

The open carry Virginia Code is pretty much subjective, it says it must be obvious you are carrying a handgun. I carry a Glock-23 and Kahr P-9 IWB when I open carry and have not had any problems. If you want just get an inexpensive paddle holster.

Check over at the state sites at www.packing.org for additional information on VA and WVA.

If you get a change to get to Northern Virginia, check ot the Firearms Museum at the NRA HQ in Fairfax.

Enjoy your stay.
Good info alien, thanks for helping out a visitor.

I know I'm late on this, but I wanted to clarify some things you've mentioned.
One can carry into a police station, just not into "secured areas" such as a lock-up.
One can carry into a church... just not during a "religious service" and not then only if objected to by the church authority.
__________________
Check your feelings at the door, we have a job to do
Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42   #6
dbrowne1
Senior Member
 
dbrowne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,157
Alien-

Not sure where you came up with the police station ban in VA, and the church and fed bldgs are debatable.

Concealed carry in alcohol-serving establishments, and any carry in courthouses and schools are the only clear and automatic no-fly zones.
dbrowne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 23:41   #7
Truckee
Aging Goat
 
Truckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally posted by dbrowne1
Alien-

Not sure where you came up with the police station ban in VA, and the church and fed bldgs are debatable.

Concealed carry in alcohol-serving establishments, and any carry in courthouses and schools are the only clear and automatic no-fly zones.
Thanks for the back-up browne. We forgot one "no-fly" zone, secured areas of an airport. The general terminal areas are grey.
__________________
Check your feelings at the door, we have a job to do
Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:16   #8
Rabbit994
Senior Member
 
Rabbit994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,830
Quote:
Originally posted by Truckee
Thanks for the back-up browne. We forgot one "no-fly" zone, secured areas of an airport. The general terminal areas are grey.
Wrong, Airport Terminals are completely off limits unless your a passenger with a locked up weapon is preparing to transport said weapon or retrieving weapon from baggage.

Virginia Code prohibiting weapons in Airports
Rabbit994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 17:23   #9
Truckee
Aging Goat
 
Truckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally posted by Rabbit994
Wrong, Airport Terminals are completely off limits unless your a passenger with a locked up weapon is preparing to transport said weapon or retrieving weapon from baggage.

Virginia Code prohibiting weapons in Airports
Obviously in your interpretation, the "terminal" begins at the front doors of an airport building. Others have interpreted the code to state that the 'air carrier airport terminal' boundary begins at the individual carrier's desk/screening point. As I wrote, seems that the general population areas of a terminal are -grey-... but, I won't be bold enough to call you "wrong."

Also, the statute only applies to public air carriers (I think, again grey?). I know of many others that do/have carried on private flights... and there's no screening process in the private terminal.

I have requested a clarification of the statute. To date, none has been provided. I can carry, therefore this point is moot for me. However, I like to know the rules.
__________________
Check your feelings at the door, we have a job to do
Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,414
391 Members
1,023 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42