Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-23-2007, 18:16   #1
MRV_G17

last men standing !

Really am proud of these young and brave marines who fought it with Janjalani's group.

I know how tough their trainings as I have witnessed it during my P2Lt's 45days survival training at Fort Magsaysay.

Training, Camaraderie and the heart to do their job played a big role. I salute these marines and I hope the government will NOT forget the dedication and heroism of our Marines and combatants they send in the battle field.

-MRV-

Outnumbered Marines recall clash that killed Janjalani
By James Mananghaya And Roel PareŮo
The Philippine Star 01/24/2007

Retreat was never an option for the platoon of Marine troopers who, despite being outnumbered, repelled a vicious counterattack by the Abu Sayyaf in the jungles of Jolo which ended in the death of the terrorist groupís chieftain Khadaffy Janjalani.

The Sept. 4 pre-dawn clash in Barangay Tugas, Patikul, Sulu left six soldiers and close to 70 other terrorists killed or wounded.

The gun battle began when 27 men of the Marine Force Recon Class 12 led by 2Lt. Romulo Dimayuga stumbled upon a group of Abu Sayyaf bandits camped out in the jungle.

When they found out that Janjalani himself was with the group, the soldiers opened fire, unaware that they were dealing with a vastly superior force. Dimayuga said it turned out that they were battling 150 terrorists.

"I ordered my men to hold the line. I couldnít withdraw because I could not leave a wounded or fallen Marine behind," he said.

"As Marines, we must not allow a fallen comradeís body to be desecrated by the enemy. Thatís why in that encounter none of my men was mutilated," Dimayuga told a press conference at Camp Aguinaldo yesterday.

Pfc. Juvelito Manalili, the platoonís compass man, got hit while trying to drag a wounded comrade out of harmís way. Dimayuga himself was wounded in the encounter.

"The Marines were bloodied and 16 were wounded but we kept on firing. Our will to fight was strong and our troops displayed unmatched courage," the 24-year-old officer said.

He said he believed the Marines had a better chance of survival by defending their position than by retreating.

"We knew they were fierce fighters because they wouldnít be able to put up a fight for three hours, but we were better than them," he said, adding that the realization that they had run into the enemyís main group even fired up their courage. He said a smaller terrorist group would have easily disengaged.

The Marinesí three night vision goggles helped them pinpoint Janjalani himself and the exact positions of his men. But the soldiers actually had to wait for first light to come out before they launched the attack. Grenades and a volley of machinegun fire caught the bandits by surprise.

"Having been together for nine months in training, our camaraderie is strong and the deaths really pained us," Dimayuga said. "But they did not die in vain."

For lead scout Marine Private First Class Dante Advincula, penetrating Janjalaniís lair was like going through the proverbial "eye of the needle."

Advincula, who was interviewed in Zamboanga City, said they suspected the terrorist had night vision goggles themselves and a retreat would have taken a heavy toll on the troops.

"Sure enough they will detect us and tenderize us with volley of assaults because we suspected they were also equipped with night vision goggles," he added. He said some of the bandits even managed to get too close to them - or some three meters away.

Private First Class Nicholas Polmo, a Marine sniper, said that in the din of battle he saw someone who looked like Janjalani mount a horse and bark orders. Polmo was wounded in the thigh and abdomen. He noted the tremendous firepower of the counterattacking Abu Sayyaf who scrambled to drag away their dead and wounded.

After recovering from his wounds, Dimayuga was reassigned as executive officer of the 64th Marine Force Reconnaissance Company based in Cavite, while Manalili was transferred to the Marine Headquarters at Fort Bonifacio where he serves as an administrative clerk.
Old 01-23-2007, 19:04   #2
asian_glockster
Hook Up!!!!!!!!

They're lucky.... But I noticed that they didn't request for any fire support (FA, Mortars, CAS) it might be because they're too near against the enemy. In an offensive scenario, the ratio of 3:1 is ideal, in a defensive scenario, 1:3, it means that they're outnmbered. There should be at least a battalion assaulting the area. But since it is a chance encounter (meeting engagement in military parlance), they took the risk, since the ASG is a highly mobile group. IMHO, Lt Dimayuga should be nominated for Medal of Valor, if not Distinguished Conduct Star (Second to the Highest)...

GO MARINES!!!!!! HOOORAAHHHHH!!!!!!
asian_glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 19:09   #3
9MX
Rei!

imho, its not wise to show your face on national tv. given that he is credited for shooting down the Abu Sayaff's "emir", he and his next of kin are open targets for revenge.
Old 01-23-2007, 19:10   #4
MRV_G17

Quote:
Originally posted by asian_glockster
They're lucky.... But I noticed that they didn't request for any fire support (FA, Mortars, CAS) it might be because they're too near against the enemy. In an offensive scenario, the ratio of 3:1 is ideal, in a defensive scenario, 1:3, it means that they're outnmbered. There should be at least a battalion assaulting the area. But since it is a chance encounter (meeting engagement in military parlance), they took the risk, since the ASG is a highly mobile group. IMHO, Lt Dimayuga should be nominated for Medal of Valor, if not Distinguished Conduct Star (Second to the Highest)...

GO MARINES!!!!!! HOOORAAHHHHH!!!!!!
i saw from other news that they were able to radio for support although they were all wounded - compass, radio man both hit.

+10 on Medal of Valor for these marines!
Old 01-23-2007, 22:28   #5
atmarcella

galing! dapat me air support din sila, ov-10.... baka sira
Old 01-23-2007, 22:38   #6
MRV_G17

I saw Dimayuga's comment from other news:
I even saw one standing in front of us, gargling. They didnít know we were there,Ē Dimayuga said
Rangers are known for camouflage approach but I think our marines well trained than them. Marines are well-trained and really good with Night-Raid using the camouflage tactics. I'm really impressed
Old 01-24-2007, 01:58   #7
choi_tan2000
BoG # 55555

soldier

to think that hes so young pa talga agresive and sharp . matapang.

but for the afp sna nmn ni protectahan nila identy nung soldier marami pa mgagawa yan kung di sya kilala. hehehehe

and for protection also he nd her family .

god bless him
choi_tan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38   #8
toxic

Im a little bit skeptical on the issue...

1. Totoo kaya na sya nakadale dun di kaya yung mga bisita.
2. Kung sya man nakadale sa ASG leader all hands ako sa kanya with the rest of his team , bat naman nya pinakita nya mukha nya sa TV..aba eh death wish yun pati family nya.
3. Bat di sila pwede bahaginan ng reward..pampalubag loob man lang , 250 lang yata per month ang food allowance ng Militar..sheez eh pang load man sa Cellphone kakapusin yun.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:46   #9
9MX
Rei!

Quote:
Originally posted by toxic
3. Bat di sila pwede bahaginan ng reward..pampalubag loob man lang , 250 lang yata per month ang food allowance ng Militar..sheez eh pang load man sa Cellphone kakapusin yun.
pards,

military/police are not allowed to receive any reward because it is their duty. i think its dangerous when they are allowed to receive monetary rewards.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:26   #10
batangueno
Shock Resist

Dapat naman siguro dagdagan ng gubyerno yung P240 na combat pay per month. Ilalaban ka, na puede mo ikamatay tapos P240 extra lang ang makukuha mo?
batangueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:31   #11
asian_glockster
Hook Up!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Toxic
Sir,

AFP Personnel receives Php 1,800/mo as subsistence allowance aside from their base pay..
Old 01-24-2007, 03:39   #12
9MX
Rei!

Quote:
Originally posted by batangueno
Dapat naman siguro dagdagan ng gubyerno yung P240 na combat pay per month. Ilalaban ka, na puede mo ikamatay tapos P240 extra lang ang makukuha mo?
dapat din dagdagan ang sweldo ng pnp. pero kahit ganito, marami pa din nagpulis at nagsundalo. ergo, they shouldn't complain, it was their choice.

but just the same, sana maimprove ang benefits nila.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49   #13
toxic

mababa pa rin , just like Batangueno replied dapat dagdagan...

Our AFP life is on the line they deserve more what they are getting,..thats why some of AFP members gobad or do illegal sidelines because the pay is not enough..

Give to the integrity oath and serve the country stuff..in reality they are still human beings who have needs, mouths to feed and pay bus fare just like the rest of us.

On the reward..kahit in kind man lang they still deserve a piece of the pie kahit bread crumbs...If they are really the one who brought the ASG leader down.

In any case I salute them for their sacrifies and bravery
Old 01-24-2007, 04:39   #14
MRV_G17

Quote:
Originally posted by batangueno
that is just one of the main reason kung bakit nag Coup de etat ang grupo ni Trillanes.

Just imagine nga naman... nagpapakamatay mga sundalo natin sa mindanao. walang combat shoots, uniform at hindi advance ang fire power nila. Di tulad ng mga pulitiko, bodyguard lang naka MP5, naka shine palagi sapatos, porma de barong, aircondition ang sasakyan at syempre mas mataas ang sahod.

$5M is really a big money. but i think (as a former PA member), their heroism and dedication is PRICELESS.

True soldier... serving God, the Filipinos and the Country!

Phil Marines... HOOORAAHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2007, 21:43   #15
jerrytrini

Members of the Marine Corps are called "Marines"

Members of the Army are called "Soldiers".

These terms are not interchangeable. My 2 centavos
jerrytrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 23:32   #16
flash1919
TAGA-SIPAT

salary

dba mas malaki sahod ng PNP compare mo sa AFP? same rank?
flash1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:50   #17
asian_glockster
Hook Up!!!!!!!!

flash 1919

Yes sir. The PNP has the highest pay grade compared to AFP, BFP and BJMP.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:06   #18
nrmcolt
What?

Quote:
On the reward..kahit in kind man lang they still deserve a piece of the pie kahit bread crumbs...
+1
Million of dollars is alot of money, kahit off the record, kahit butal lang, para naman ganahan yung mga tao.

nrmcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 22:58   #19
isuzu

Quote:
Originally posted by 9MX
imho, its not wise to show your face on national tv. given that he is credited for shooting down the Abu Sayaff's "emir", he and his next of kin are open targets for revenge.
Their names should have never even been released to the public. That's just a no-no especially if you were involved in a high profile operation.

There are soldiers in both the US and Canada who were involved in sensitive operations in Afghanistan. There's not even an inkling what unit was involved in the operation.

Even the dinner with the president should have been made a low key event.

Exposing their names and faces to the public is just like feeding themselves to the dogs.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 23:09   #20
isuzu

Quote:
Originally posted by asian_glockster
They're lucky.... But I noticed that they didn't request for any fire support (FA, Mortars, CAS) it might be because they're too near against the enemy. There should be at least a battalion assaulting the area.
If the gunbattle was in a forested area, FA, and CAS would be difficult, and probably useless. It was also mentioned in the news that they were engaging the enemy by just a few meters at times.

Bringing in a battalion against a highly mobile force would not be a good idea. The deployment of a large force would surely be easily detected, hence, defeating the element of surprise.

A small group of a highly-trained individuals such as the Marines was the ideal force to get the enemy. And they handled the situation well.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova

Last edited by isuzu; 01-26-2007 at 23:28..
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote