GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:05   #1
KONY

For those of you that work in Arlington or close by ...

Where do you guys live? If you could do it again, would you? If not, where would you go? I ask b/c I'm currently thinking about taking the plunge into home ownership and want to get a feel of "how far is too far". I welcome all input. Thanks!
KONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 21:00   #2
habu3

How far is too far?

In this area that is a difficult question!!! I work in Falls Church but my office just moved there at the beginning of the month from near the Airport in Herndon. Now I only have a 6 mile commute instead of 29 so it is good for me. But, I work with people that commute in from WV, Manassas, Annapolis, and Frederick.

A couple of things to look at...in this area distance can kill you when it comes to commute time. Route 7, US-50 I-66, I-95, the toll road, the Fairfax Cty Pkway and just about all other major routes have major commute issues each day. Even my short commute can be a problem when we get ice and snow. Distance will also mean higher cost in gas usage.

The good side about distance is that it generally means a lower cost for buying a home.

If possible, travel out to some of the areas where you might consider purchasing. Check on the price ranges and also check to see if there are any commuting issues. The other thing to consider is access to convenience things. If you like having immediate access to all the shopping and entertainment, moving way out there may not be a good idea.

Its a big decision so good luck!
habu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 21:14   #3
watsoncb
CLM Number 40
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via MSN to watsoncb Send a message via Yahoo to watsoncb

Terrible Change

Ah a couple of things to think about. I live in Falls Church and work in Tysons (Spring Hill & 7). I have about a 4 mile commute.

Most days, getting in to work is easy about a 15 minute drive. But my commute home takes 30 minutes. 30 minutes to go 4 miles on Route 7.

After Thanksgiving to the 2nd week of January (when VDOT changes stop light timing back to normal) the drive home has taken as long as 1 hour to drive 4 miles.

And it is going to get much worse. METRO, Beltway HOT Lane and local construction is about to tear up the roads in Tysons which I bet will make driving hell for the next 10 years. May be longer.

So if you are looking to buy consider something that might take you south for the next 10 years. The mixing bowl constuction is starting to look like it might make going south a possiblity.

Glock Talk Charter Lifetime Member #40
Glockers of the Old Dominion #648
Smith & Wesson Club #648
Black Rifle Club #648
Kalashnikov Klub #648
The 10 Ring #648
Sub Club #648
watsoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 21:33   #4
KONY

Good input, folks! Right now my commute is about 45 minutes to an hour going from Fairfax to Arlington. Probably can't afford to buy in Fairfax or eastward so heading South (Newington, Lorton, etc.) is looking more like it. Woodbridge and Dale City seem to be my limit though and I'm wondering if I am crazy for even considering them b/c: 1) they're in PG county, which I hear bad stuff about; 2) 395 highway, which I also hear is murder. Any input?
Old 01-28-2007, 06:55   #5
22collector

Woodbridge and Dale City are in Prince William County which is not really that bad at all. But... Commute from down there and you are looking at some serious time in the car each day. I just had to get out of that mess up there. All my family is still up there but if I could get them to come to Roanoke I would in a heart beat. A rough day of traffic down here seems to take about 20 minutes for about 8 or so miles from what I have experienced and most of that is because of traffic lights. Well, I hope you find what you are looking for. And just make sure that it makes you happy cause thats a lot of money for something that doesn't.

GOTOD #497, YG #497, Kel-Tec Talk #497, The Snubbie Club #497,
Smith and Wesson Club #497
22collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:48   #6
KONY

Quote:
Originally posted by 22collector
Woodbridge and Dale City are in Prince William County which is not really that bad at all. But... Commute from down there and you are looking at some serious time in the car each day. I just had to get out of that mess up there. All my family is still up there but if I could get them to come to Roanoke I would in a heart beat. A rough day of traffic down here seems to take about 20 minutes for about 8 or so miles from what I have experienced and most of that is because of traffic lights. Well, I hope you find what you are looking for. And just make sure that it makes you happy cause thats a lot of money for something that doesn't.
Sounds like sage advice to me. Someone told me that their co-worker commutes from Woodbridge to Falls Church by care and its 2 hours each way! Definitely, not sounding good.
Old 01-28-2007, 14:25   #7
Sporwick

Send a message via AIM to Sporwick
It really is hard. I am looking into the same thing with my girlfriend right now. I live in pentagon city right now (renting) and I work in Roslyn (3.5mile commute). The farther out the more you get for your money bu the traffic is just brutal. I am looking at the Kingstowne area right now. It is developing pretty fast. It is just really hard...I am in the same boat.

The people I work with come in from Fredricksburg, Spottsylvania, Olney, Falls Church, Fairfax, Burke, Leesburg, Woodbridge....the list goes on.
Niners Club #118, Sub Club #43, Smith and Wesson Club #11, Glock 19, Glock 26, Glock 17C, P22, SW1911PD, Sig 228, M&P15T, Ruger MKIII, Kahr PM9, EMP
Sporwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 15:05   #8
KONY

Quote:
Originally posted by Sporwick
It really is hard. I am looking into the same thing with my girlfriend right now. I live in pentagon city right now (renting) and I work in Roslyn (3.5mile commute). The farther out the more you get for your money bu the traffic is just brutal. I am looking at the Kingstowne area right now. It is developing pretty fast. It is just really hard...I am in the same boat.

The people I work with come in from Fredricksburg, Spottsylvania, Olney, Falls Church, Fairfax, Burke, Leesburg, Woodbridge....the list goes on.
Nice to know I have company! Best of luck with the search and let me know how it turns out.
Old 01-28-2007, 21:14   #9
Nicky9

Quote:

I live in Woodbridge and commute to Crystal City every day... try 20-30min communte! No BS... have you heard of slugs? HOV lanes are the way to go. People in this area have been doing it since the lanes were created. Horner Road and Tackets Mill have lots and there are pickup points that go to the various locations in Arlington and DC... especially the pentagon. I will look for the Sulg website that details these pickup/drop off locations. 2 hour commute Idiots!
Nicky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 21:23   #10
Nicky9

Quote:

I live in Woodbridge and commute to Crystal City every day... try 20-30min communte! No BS... have you heard of slugs? HOV lanes are the way to go. People in this area have been doing it since the lanes were created. Horner Road and Tackets Mill have lots and there are pickup points that go to the various locations in Arlington and DC... especially the pentagon. I will look for the Sulg website that details these pickup/drop off locations. 2 hour commute Idiots!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:19   #11
Nicky9

http://www.slug-lines.com/
Take a look... this will help you get a little more house and reduce the stress of a commute. If you choose to slug... most do (Save milage on your ride and cash on fuel) they have a garenteed ride home program in case you have to leave early. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2007, 06:32   #12
KONY

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicky9
http://www.slug-lines.com/
Take a look... this will help you get a little more house and reduce the stress of a commute. If you choose to slug... most do (Save milage on your ride and cash on fuel) they have a garenteed ride home program in case you have to leave early. Good luck!
Thanks! Sounds good so far. Any downsides to doing this?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:38   #13
Nicky9

Quote:
Originally posted by KONY
Thanks! Sounds good so far. Any downsides to doing this?
Positives:
You dont pay for parking where you work
You wolnt put any mileage on your ride
Your fuel costs will be nill cause you are just driving to the lot

Negitives:
If you are a rider then you ride in someone elses car
If you drive then you have riders in your car.

Its really a pretty good solution to the traffic woes in our area.

Check out the forums... you will see what the pros and cons are.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:40   #14
Nicky9

and... unlike carpooling... you are not stuck to a specific time to be at the lot or slug lines.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:44   #15
KONY

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicky9
Positives:
You dont pay for parking where you work
You wolnt put any mileage on your ride
Your fuel costs will be nill cause you are just driving to the lot

Negitives:
If you are a rider then you ride in someone elses car
If you drive then you have riders in your car.

Its really a pretty good solution to the traffic woes in our area.

Check out the forums... you will see what the pros and cons are.
About what I expected. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2007, 23:11   #16
sigpro357

It has alot to do with your work hours also. As for me I work at the Pentagon and live in Spotsylvania. Bought my house at 125K 6 years ago. My commute is 57 miles one way. However 1 hour is about the average my commute takes. How you ask? The hours. When I work days I work 6AM to 2PM. I leave my house at about 4:30 AM and arrive at work at 5:30AM. Then I try to leave work about 1:30PM. I miss all the major traffic, and HOV isn't restricted until 6:00Am in the morning and then begins at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Couple this with working and carpooling with co workers and my commute isn't very bad at all.

If a job wants you to work from 9AM to 5PM you could tell them to Kiss your butt because your looking at a nightmare. It's all about your work hours.
sigpro357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:06   #17
Nicky9

Quote:
Originally posted by sigpro357
It has alot to do with your work hours also. As for me I work at the Pentagon and live in Spotsylvania. Bought my house at 125K 6 years ago. My commute is 57 miles one way. However 1 hour is about the average my commute takes. How you ask? The hours. When I work days I work 6AM to 2PM. I leave my house at about 4:30 AM and arrive at work at 5:30AM. Then I try to leave work about 1:30PM. I miss all the major traffic, and HOV isn't restricted until 6:00Am in the morning and then begins at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Couple this with working and carpooling with co workers and my commute isn't very bad at all.

If a job wants you to work from 9AM to 5PM you could tell them to Kiss your butt because your looking at a nightmare. It's all about your work hours.
I 100% Agree ^^^^
Old 02-04-2007, 18:16   #18
KONY

Follow-up question:

Is Fairfax County more "NFA-friendly" than Alexandria or Arlington counties?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:22   #19
Nicky9

Quote:
Originally posted by KONY
Follow-up question:

Is Fairfax County more "NFA-friendly" than Alexandria or Arlington counties?
I think... I was told from a range master at Gilberts that Fairfax County makes it really hard to get fully auto/suppressor permits (class 3) let alone shooting em in the range (Not 100% sure anout the last statment). The guy (@ Gilberts) told me that Prince William is much more gun-friendly in general than Fairfax County especially w/ fully autos.

I am sure someone else on the board can elaborate a little better on this issue.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:47   #20
vafish

I don't own any NFA firearms, but I was told by an NFA dealer that the current Sheriff in Fairfax signs NFA forms with no hassel. It was not always that way, A few years ago when I was thinking about getting a NFA firearm I was told to forget it in Fairfax County because no one would sign them.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote