Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-30-2007, 15:23   #1
VICARA

Consumer Windows Vista - releasedTODAY!

After several years of development and billions of dollars, Micro$oft is finally releasing Windows Vista to consumers. Its on store shelves TODAY. The business version was launch last Nov.

'Nong balita sa Pinas? Any big crowd on its launching date? For early adapters, if you can post your reviews just for the BOGs. Upgrading too soon?
BOG #575
...focusing on an object, and holding it in consciousness, to meditate on it
VICARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 18:54   #2
darwin25
Make your move

A few of my friends were the early Beta testers.

Here is the link for the local launch of Vista http://msforums.ph/forums/thread/186560.aspx

As for me, I dont have any use for it yet. Not until the release of Longhorn. I always use Server OS. Right now im using Win2K3 R2
darwin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 19:41   #3
DA_NINJA

Here in the MidWest it's all quiet on the Western Front........
I'm still waiting for the upgrade pack coming from the manufacturer of the desktop that I just recently bought. But I hear great things
about Vista .....but ..........maybe...... Mac is just my cup of tea.
DA_NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 20:18   #4
VICARA

hey darwin 'musta na.
By this time, you guys should be scratching heads on where is the WOW factor of Vista. As for me, I'm planning to stop by Circuit City today to get my first glimpse of Vista. Like you, I'm not so keen getting one just yet.

I have also a home network running on W2K3 R2 server with 4 client PCs. My domain controller is a PowerEdge 1600SC and since hindi naman corporate setup, I configured it as my web server as well (IIS 6.0). The SQL 2000 server is on a slower DELL. So parang garage na yung extra room sa bahay. btw, how hard is upgrading to SQL 2005? I have a free copy from a client but never had the time to play with it.

Oo nga pala, Paging BOGs ASP, Win2003/SQL2005 server experts , I need HELP. To be honest, self taught lang po ako sa networking and web development, "trying hard" 'ika nga, eh kaso nanganga-mote na.
I have question(s) re: ASP/ASP.NET which I like to use on our Bog's web app. Also a pestering IP issues of my home network.

Anybody?
BOG #575
Old 01-30-2007, 20:32   #5
revo

Yawn..never use version 1.0 of any product.

Maybe next year.

In the meantime, you guys can be the early adopters and I can learn vicara(iously) from your experience.

hehe
revo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 20:53   #6
darwin25
Make your move

Quote:
Originally posted by VICARA
hey darwin 'musta na.
By this time, you guys should be scratching heads on where is the WOW factor of Vista. As for me, I'm planning to stop by Circuit City today to get my first glimpse of Vista. Like you, I'm not so keen getting one just yet.

I have also a home network running on W2K3 R2 server with 4 client PCs. My domain controller is a PowerEdge 1600SC and since hindi naman corporate setup, I configured it as my web server as well (IIS 6.0). The SQL 2000 server is on a slower DELL. So parang garage na yung extra room sa bahay. btw, how hard is upgrading to SQL 2005? I have a free copy from a client but never had the time to play with it.

Oo nga pala, Paging BOGs ASP, Win2003/SQL2005 server experts , I need HELP. To be honest, self taught lang po ako sa networking and web development, "trying hard" 'ika nga, eh kaso nanganga-mote na.
I have question(s) re: ASP/ASP.NET which I like to use on our Bog's web app. Also a pestering IP issues of my home network.

Anybody?

Hi sir,

All our servers and even my laptop is running on Win2K3 R2. I agree mas madai nga iconfigure ang IIS 6.0 compared to older versions. Upgrading from SQL Sever 2000 to SQL Server 2005 can be as simpe as just detaching the database from SQL 2000 and attaching it to SQL 2005. But there are cases where you may have to do some rework on your stored procedures and triggers(if you use them). Mas enforce kasi ang referential integrity sa SQL Server 2005 and may mga syntax that wont work in previous SQL Server versions.

What about your question sa ASP.net?

Self taught lang din ako ASP.Net. I use VS2005 .Net 2.0 framework. Im moving to WPF .Net 3.0 framework na din. What you can do with ASP.Net is to get the orignal source code for the providers that it uses so you can get a firm understanding how the provider model works. I have the original source code in C#, give me your e-mail address I'll send it to you. Ano ba gamit mo sir C# or VB? if you use VB you can use a code converter like this one http://www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/ . Its really good.

Try visiting these sites For general info and queries http://msforums.ph/Default.aspx

for more dev centric information
http://devpinoy.org/default.aspx

for SQL Server
http://phissug.org/cs/
Old 01-30-2007, 21:06   #7
revo

Damn...I've got 4TB of SQL Server critical business data and I can't afford any palpak.

Will be asking Microsoft directly to do my upgrade to SQL 2005.
Old 01-30-2007, 21:20   #8
darwin25
Make your move

Whoa!!! 4TB ang laki nyan sir. Ilang oras inaabot ang backup nyan? Differential and Full Backup? Anything larger than 10GB of data gumagawa na ko ng script to migrate the data. 4 Terrabytes pa kaya.

Last edited by darwin25; 01-30-2007 at 21:27..
Old 01-30-2007, 21:35   #9
revo

We use a combination of methods. It's an art in and of itself, I would say.
Old 01-30-2007, 22:10   #10
darwin25
Make your move

Yes I agree 100% database management and SQL is an art in itself. Imagine what a database administrator can do with with a single database and transform it into useful information for decision support and even predicting trends.
Old 01-30-2007, 23:08   #11
VICARA

thanks darwin for the links. promptly bookmarked! (i noticed phissug and devpinoy used the same web template)
email: victa101@gmail.com

i'm from the old school, heavy metal mainframe IBM and mini NCRs, COBOL & RPG were the preferred languages back then. Briefly, I worked on the same platform when I moved to the US then later on, i had no choice but jumped into the GUI world otherwise, matatabunan ka. Visual languages were also self-taught thats why my foundations are crappy at times. I started VB2005 just recently, prior to that was VB6. I have some apps written in Visual RPG.
The company sent me for a 5-day MS SQL class 2 years ago and thats it.
Later na yung question ko sa ASP and IP address. I'll take one last shot at it and see if it works.

revo: are you in the law enforcement field? I'm thinking those 4 terrabytes are criminal records, background checks, bureau stats, etc.
BOG #575
Old 01-30-2007, 23:16   #12
revo

Nope, law enforcement works for us.

Banking and Finance.
Old 01-31-2007, 00:22   #13
VICARA

how did you end up in the bean counter groups? I read from another thread, you're BSEE/UP.

Oh well, I'm also BSEE, albeit, non-UP (with emphasis on that) and I end up in the health care industry taking care of close to 100,000 patients demographic data.
BOG #575
Old 02-01-2007, 00:37   #14
darwin25
Make your move

Sir Vic,

Pls check your mailbox. I sent you the ASP.Net proider source code and a C# - VB converter
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45   #15
VICARA

thanks darwin, i owe you one.
and please, no more "sir", i'm just plain Vic.

hindi ko pa gamay ang VB6, heto na naman ang VB2K5. its a never-ending struggle in our line of work...and to be quite frankly, i'm burn-out already.

kailan kaya yung every other day nasa range ka, worrying of nothing except where to go shooting the foll week, and the week after...and the week after that.
BOG #575
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17   #16
darwin25
Make your move

Wahehe. Kaya nga ako sa SQL and database development and administration ako nagspecialize e para information management ang specialization ko. 40 years na ang SQL and still yun pa din ang basic syntax. Database engine lang ang nageevolve. Kapag programming language talaga mabilis magbago. Last November 2005 lang yun .Net Framework 2.0, ngayon may framework 3.0 Nakakahilo talaga. Sa programming language naman, its best to focus on either Visual Basic, Java and C#. Especially sa C (Turbo C, C++ and C# )family of languages kasi you can jump to any programming language from there. SQL and C languages ang pinakaenduring sa lahat e.