Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:00   #1
firedog978

Glock report on Cincinnati tv station?

My wife told me she caught a tv news story Thursday night (2-1-07 11PM) on one of the local stations. I was already asleep and missed it.
She said the subject was Glocks (misfiring or maybe AD's). She also said there was someone that disputed the claim and spoke about safety of Glocks.
I have searched all the websites for local tv and can find no story on any of them. Did anyone catch this?
Old 02-02-2007, 12:05   #2
gjwheels

A friend at work told me that it is supposed to air on channel 12 sometime Monday evening (the 5th) during a newscast. Dont know what time though. If anyone knows more details, please post them.
Old 02-02-2007, 13:55   #3
G30 OH

I saw a promo for it this morning. The report is going ot be on Monday night, the 5th, after CSI Miami on the 11:00 news on Channel 12, WKRC.

The voice over mentioned that Glocks are the most popular pistol for law enforcement but questioned whether the reports of accidental discharges can be blamed on the gun or the shooter.

I briefly caught a glimps of someone being interviewed who said that he had heard reports of accidental discharges but in all cases that he is aware of it was the fault of the shooter. I am not certain but it looked like either Dan or Marvin from Shooters Supply in Loveland being interviewed.
G30 OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 16:41   #4
firedog978

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to DVR that although, I always watch CSI Miami and the following news.
Old 02-02-2007, 20:38   #5
Mark G.

It was Dan from Shooter's Supply.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 20:55   #6
gjwheels

I'm already composing my letter to Channel 12. I am not interested in their editorial comments. I have the editorial page of the Cincinnati Enquirer if that's what I'm looking for.

I am 74 years old and have been firing both handguns and long guns for most of my life. I have never seen an accidental discharge in all that time. They only fired when someone pulled the trigger.

Why not do a report on revolvers? They have no external safeties. Ch 12 was always my choice for local news. News......not their editorial comments.
Old 02-02-2007, 21:23   #7
eprn
defib jockey

Remember, these are the same geniuses that proclaimed that the 5.7mm commercial (sporting) ammunition would penetrate protective vests. The piece was really kinda funny, because it clearly showed them loading FMJ (AP) rounds into the magazine and shooting through a vest. They sorta mentioned that these rounds weren't available to the public and then went on to hysterically proclaim it was the next weapon of choice for ______(insert criminal of choice here) for it's armor-piercing capabilities.

I wrote some letters and never got a response. I should write them again and ask if any of the 87 murders in Cincinnati last year were committed with AP 5.7mm ammunition.
eprn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:28   #8
Mark G.

The 5 second sound bite that I saw had Dan from Shooter's Supply saying that it is not the gun that accidentally discharges, but the person who is at the other end of the gun pulling the trigger.
Mark G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 20:43   #9
Turtle Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark G.
It was Dan from Shooter's Supply.
Yep, I put this on the general glocking board.
Turtle Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 23:06   #10
joedoc

It sounds to me like the local news station was spoon-fed this story from one of the national outfits. There is little chance that a local schmuck reporter stumbled on this story on his/her own. Now, I have come to realize that the plaintiff bar "plants" these kinds of stories and the lemmings in the press regurgitate whatever line they have been fed. This process helps to generate public outcries that in turn fuel class-action lawsuits. We have seen a lot of these before---Audi acceleration, silicone breast implants, and several prescription medications.

And, you know who the winners are in class-action lawsuits, right? Plaintiff lawyers. Pretty nice gig---generate hysteria, then profit from that hysteria.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:22   #11
firedog978

Quote:
Originally posted by Turtle Dude
Yep, I put this on the general glocking board.
They closed the thread on the General Glocking Board.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:36   #12
firedog978

Here's the link to the video

http://www.local12.com/mediacenter/local.aspx

They seemed to focus on problems with AD's happening to LEO's and their departments. Presumably to make the suggestion that even these trained professionals have the problem. I'm not sure this was a "spoon-fed" story from one of the national outfits. It appeared to be generated locally to me.
Old 02-06-2007, 14:09   #13
anyplainjoe
Nobody special.

Quote:
Originally posted by joedoc
It sounds to me like the local news station was spoon-fed this story from one of the national outfits. There is little chance that a local schmuck reporter stumbled on this story on his/her own. Now, I have come to realize that the plaintiff bar "plants" these kinds of stories and the lemmings in the press regurgitate whatever line they have been fed. This process helps to generate public outcries that in turn fuel class-action lawsuits. We have seen a lot of these before---Audi acceleration, silicone breast implants, and several prescription medications.

And, you know who the winners are in class-action lawsuits, right? Plaintiff lawyers. Pretty nice gig---generate hysteria, then profit from that hysteria.
The anti's do a much more effective job at shopping quick & easy story ideas to the media than do the pro-gun forces.
anyplainjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 16:53   #14
joedoc

Firedog978, you are correct, they do quote local LEOs and a local gun shop owner in that story.
However I stand by my assertion that the news media is commonly manipulated, to serve certain interests (granted this is not a great shock to many of us).
And, who is to say that the police chief who shot off his finger is not part of a lawsuit against Glock.
Old 02-06-2007, 18:17   #15
anyplainjoe
Nobody special.

I work in marketing and sell marketing products for a living...heck yes the media manipulates and is often manulipated.

Here's a few tidbits widely known in the media field.

For the last several years, newsrooms have had their budgets cut. So what is the result of that happening? News needs to be cheaper to report, hence the coverage of cheap stories (police, fire, government, so and so channel on your side, weather). Also, many of the jobs are now entry level, with young, unquestioning people working there.

And since there is little money for the news (the staff is really just overhead), producers and programmers turn to the ever present barrage of news releases for ideas. Heck, some PACs even produce their own generic footage the local station can slice and dice to make into their own segment. This is were the pro-gun forces need to get much, much better.

With so many in the media being ignorant about guns, anti-gun forces have easy pickings putting ideas and soundbites into their heads.
anyplainjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:22   #16
firedog978

Quote:
Originally posted by joedoc
Firedog978, you are correct, they do quote local LEOs and a local gun shop owner in that story.
However I stand by my assertion that the news media is commonly manipulated, to serve certain interests (granted this is not a great shock to many of us).
And, who is to say that the police chief who shot off his finger is not part of a lawsuit against Glock.
joedoc,

I am the last one you need to convince that the media is commonly manipulated. I am very aware what certain interests the 'drive-by' media as Rush calls them have. But, in this particular piece it was all local. Every bit of footage was shot locally. Perhaps the story substance (Glock ND's / AD's) was pushed on them from network but, the story was all produced local.
Old 02-07-2007, 13:34   #17
joedoc

QUOTE--
joedoc,
I am the last one you need to convince that the media is commonly manipulated. I am very aware what certain interests the 'drive-by' media as Rush calls them have. But, in this particular piece it was all local. Every bit of footage was shot locally. Perhaps the story substance (Glock ND's / AD's) was pushed on them from network but, the story was all produced local.

Well then I stand corrected, I thought that the report included out-of-area footage (the commercial that I saw included a well known video of an officer experiencing a ND in front of a classroom. I assumed that clip was also in the report.)
firedog978--it sounds like you and I are on the same page otherwise--any irritation from my post unintended.
Old 02-07-2007, 15:35   #18
firedog978

joedoc,

You're right. I stand corrected. The footage of the officer (actually a DEA agent) in the classroom was not shot locally. Nor was the 'kaboom' footage.

Yes, I think we are on the same page. You make a great point as to the manipulation of the media and I agree completely on that. I too am in the local area of this station (for all of my over 5 decades), and for the last 30 plus years my career had me at scenes and involved in locally produced stories and mini-series news articles with them. I know that they do often take a hot subject and do local stories on them. I was trying to make a point that I think this is one of them.
No offense at all to you was intended as I agree very much with you on the other points you make.