Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:12   #1
justaguy

Desert shooting - NW Valley

Do any of you North West valley people know if it is leagal to shoot on the North West side of the White Tank Mountains. It looks like it is out of the city limits on maps but it's hard to tell. I drove out Bell Rd west of the Loop 303 and kept going until the road turned South . I found a turn off to the right (west) and drove to a river bottom/wash and found some good backstops. It's close to me and seems like a good spot so I hope is leagal.
Mike

Last edited by justaguy; 01-18-2007 at 04:38..
justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:25   #2
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Things are changing out there fast, I just don't know anymore. Make sure that it's not "State Land" or posted otherwise. Mega-development will be hitting that area soon. How close was it to the the new Sun city crap?
Old 01-07-2007, 05:29   #3
blueiron

City of Buckeye, based on the description.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:35   #4
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Be Safe Join the Wickenburg Sportsmans Club for $20.00/Year and avoid the Problems... Believe they have a Web-site with information.
akapennypincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 17:32   #5
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Is the Surprise range still open?
Old 01-07-2007, 19:38   #6
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

Quote:
Originally posted by El_Ron1
Is the Surprise range still open?
Surprise Sportsmans Club, aka Peoria Sportsman's Club(old name), think so??? Wickenburg is BETTER, and CHEAPER....
Old 01-15-2007, 23:48   #7
MR. Fantastic

I was out there about a month ago and if I recall Bell rd actually curves SOUTH and goes behind the White Tanks. There was nothing around for several miles and I remember thinking "if this wasn't so far I would come out here and shoot." That being said I pretty much shoot anywhere signs are not posted so take that how you want it.

North West of the White Tanks (like you mentioned) there are some housing developments going up so some of that land may be owned by developers. Not that it would stop ME from from shooting there (as long as there weren't bulldozers and dumptrucks driving around).

When I'm doing some wilderness shooting I use 2 factors to determine if my spot is ok to shoot. 1. are there any sighns posted prohibiting shooting/trespassing and 2. did I have to take a dirt road to get here?
Again that's just me.
MR. Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 22:45   #8
AZG23

Send a message via Yahoo to AZG23
no its not....Surprise and Buckeye have annexed the land north and west of Sun valley Pkwy (Bell rd) and south of SVP is State trust...

There are homes being built via Del Webb @ Sun City Festival...

The best you could do..and is what I still do...is follow SVP around to where it heads south...take the 2nd right out to the Hussayumpa river bottom and drive the river bottom south to a good backstop..

(CAP is out there and doesnt like you shooting around the canal due to workers being out there..and they do have CAP Agents)

Unfortunately....we are losing alot of the close desert due to development...but even more due to shooters leaving their trash behind...There are already complaints being made in the Table Mesa area about unsafe shooters, and trash being left behind by them...

Lets make sure we clean up after ourselves and let everyone we know that shoots to do the same before all areas are shut down to shooting..
Brad B. Surprise,Az. Big Dawg #1132 40 S&W Club #206 Black Rifle Club # 9
AZG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:33   #9
justaguy

Edited original post

Sorry. Bad directions. I edited my original post. I took Bell/SVP until turned South, not North. I doesn't turn north. Duh!

Going to the range is fun and has its purpose but it's nice to go out in the desert and practice things you can't practice at the range.

Thanks for all the info.
Mike
justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:36   #10
AZG23

Re: Edited original post

Quote:
Originally posted by justaguy
Sorry. Bad directions. I edited my original post. I took Bell/SVP until turned South, not North. I doesn't turn north. Duh!

Going to the range is fun and has its purpose but it's nice to go out in the desert and practice things you can't practice at the range.

Thanks for all the info.
Mike
as long as you are down IN or across the river bottom, you should be fine as thats county property...there is also some private land out there to the northwest of the river bottom.

do you have a 4wd...? you can head south from where you were in the river bottom and find some good places...
Old 02-05-2007, 11:46   #11
akapennypincher
Glock-O-Holic

I recently DROVE the Sun Valley Parkway from Surprise by the River Boat Bingo Hall to I-10. Folks where Surprise City Limits END, Buckeye city Limit Starts by Del Webb Festival. Think the Desert is GONE as a Place to shoot.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20   #12
AZG23

Quote:
Originally posted by akapennypincher
I recently DROVE the Sun Valley Parkway from Surprise by the River Boat Bingo Hall to I-10. Folks where Surprise City Limits END, Buckeye city Limit Starts by Del Webb Festival. Think the Desert is GONE as a Place to shoot.

They dont have the river bottom...its county...and still far enough away at this time...