Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2007, 16:54   #1
D-DAY
"Sexy Sharp"

Saw something a little strange on the interstate this morning.

I was traveling down I-55 headed for NO this morning and when I got about a mile out from Ruddock I noticed a bunch of police lights flashing. As I got closer I noticed it was about 5 cars with about that many cops standing outside their cars right at the Ruddock southbound exit. There were two vehicles pulled over about 50 feet ahead of the cars but no civilians in site. As light traffic approached the area, commuters began to slow down to about 55 mph(I guess to rubberneck). I noticed one officer standing right at the road's edge and he flagged the car in front of me to pull to the side of the road. I thought this was strange for 2 reasons: First, they were St. John's Parish sherrif's deputies stopping people on the interstate. Secondly, the officer motioning cars to pull to the shoulder was toting an AR-15 in his right hand pointed straight up in the air, while motioning with his left for cars to pull over. I was like WTF is going on here. It looked really cowboyish and way over the top, especially for officers who (it would seem) are out of their jurisdiction (on the interstate).

Am I crazy, or is this normal???

The whole time I couldn't help but think to myself: "is he planning to reach out and tap somebody with that AR if they don't pull over.
D-DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 17:20   #2
nolacop

Re: Saw something a little strange on the interstate this morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by D-DAY
I was traveling down I-55 headed for NO this morning and when I got about a mile out from Ruddock I noticed a bunch of police lights flashing. As I got closer I noticed it was about 5 cars with about that many cops standing outside their cars right at the Ruddock southbound exit. There were two vehicles pulled over about 50 feet ahead of the cars but no civilians in site. As light traffic approached the area, commuters began to slow down to about 55 mph(I guess to rubberneck). I noticed one officer standing right at the road's edge and he flagged the car in front of me to pull to the side of the road. I thought this was strange for 2 reasons: First, they were St. John's Parish sherrif's deputies stopping people on the interstate. Secondly, the officer motioning cars to pull to the shoulder was toting an AR-15 in his right hand pointed straight up in the air, while motioning with his left for cars to pull over. I was like WTF is going on here. It looked really cowboyish and way over the top, especially for officers who (it would seem) are out of their jurisdiction (on the interstate).

Am I crazy, or is this normal???

The whole time I couldn't help but think to myself: "is he planning to reach out and tap somebody with that AR if they don't pull over.
Police officers and sheriff's deputies have jurisdiction (enforcement powers) throughout their area of responsibility. If an interstate runs through a city or a parish in which a deputy or officer has jurisdiction, he may take enforcement action on that interstate. As far as the AR-15 goes, i cannot comment.

Last edited by nolacop; 02-07-2007 at 17:26..
nolacop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 22:22   #3
D-DAY
"Sexy Sharp"

Re: Re: Saw something a little strange on the interstate this morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by nolacop
Police officers and sheriff's deputies have jurisdiction (enforcement powers) throughout their area of responsibility. If an interstate runs through a city or a parish in which a deputy or officer has jurisdiction, he may take enforcement action on that interstate. As far as the AR-15 goes, i cannot comment.
I am sure you know better than I do, but I was always told that local/parish officers have little to no jurisdiction on the interstate. At least not to interfere with traffic or in a ticket writing capacity. If that were the case, every little podunk town would set up their cars on or near the interstate and write tickets all day.

The place in question was Ruddock, which is nothing more than an interstate exit in the middle of the swamp. The only town close to it is La Place about 10 miles down the road.
D-DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 23:27   #4
nolacop

While some municipality chiefs and parish sheriffs deter their employees from taking enforcement action on interestates, they still have enforcement powers on them. Some small podunk towns ( Sulphur, LA P.D. comes to mind) rely on interstate interdiction to help fund their department by bulk currency seizures. Again, dont think because departments choose not to do enforcement on U.S. or state highways that they cant. The idealogy behind this is some supervisors want their people patrolling neighborhoods for visibilty rather then on high traffic interstates.
nolacop is offline   Reply With Quote