Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-27-2007, 20:12   #1
habu3

AF Pararescue questions

My son is very interested in becoming a PJ. He is currently a sophomore and is taking Army JROTC (yeah I know, but that is what they offer at his school). He participates in a JROTC team called Raiders which trains and competes in similar categories and evolutions like the Army Rangers and has been training in martial arts for several years.

Are there any PJs here on GT and if so, do you have any words of wisdom for him? Are there any sources of information on the training program, pre-qualifications, etc.? I know he will have to take the PAST, but I have no idea of the current standards.

Is the AF currently recruiting PJs? I know it is a pretty small career field.

Thanks

Ted USAF MSgt Ret.
habu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 20:26   #2
nognig

This would be the best place to find what you are looking for:

www.socnetcentral.com

NN
nognig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:28   #3
najaboy

I'm not a PJ, but I've spent most of my career in CSAR units. The AF, AFRES, and ANG are always in search of PJs because of the high washout rate. Roughly a bit over three out of four Airmen who are accepted into training end up washing out.

Passing the PAST is the "easy" part of it all. Making it through the pipeline is a whole other matter.

For more information, check out www.pararescue.com and www.pjassn.org
najaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 05:10   #4
Rob96

Besides being at fitness, high inteliigence is required as well. Swimming is a big part of the fitness. While I was in tech school becoming an SP I was able to talk to a few that washed out, and they all washed out on the swimmng aspect. As it was put to me, the USAF took the most grueling traing from Army SOF, Navy SEAL and so forth and put it all together, creating the training for the PJ's.
Rob96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 19:12   #5
habu3

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input guys. The links to the sites are really helpful. I think it is time to start my son on a stricter training and fitness program. He is a pretty good swimmer, but a 1K swim will be interesting. I guess we have to start spending time at the pool.

Darn the bad luck.

Thanks again!
habu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 00:33   #6
stuhrw

Yup....buddy of mine made it all the way thru and washed out in the pool. Apparently, they weight you down and you have to walk across the bottom. He made it 3/4 of the way and then passed out and crapped himself. That was it! He made a helluva good machinist/welder though!!
stuhrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:15   #7
MrMurphy
Head Sheepdog

We had a couple ex- TACP and PJ attemptees when I went through Security Forces tech school too.

For the PJs it was the water.

Drowning was not very fun apparently and/or being in the water 95 times a day.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 22:02   #8
Kalmah
Supreme Member

I went to OTS with a PJ. He said, surprisingly, the guys who washed out the quickest were the marathon runners and triathlete types. Everyone will lose a lot of weight during training, and the guys who already had very low body fat just couldn't afford to lose that weight.