Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:48   #1
23glockrock

Where can I shoot for free?

I've done most of my shooting at ranges and I'm sick of them. I'm looking for a good place to go shoot in the desert or somewhere. I live in West Jordan and am willing to drive a little bit if there's a good secluded place I can shoot. Any ideas?
23glockrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:13   #2
jeb_ingram

What ranges have you shot at and why are you sick of them?
jeb_ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:23   #3
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

I like to shoot out by Saratoga springs. There is a spot to shoot out just south of that area by the lake, it's up against the mountain/hill there on the right.

But I don't know how far that would be for someone in W Jordan.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 14:58   #4
econjon

Quote:
Originally posted by RMTactical
I like to shoot out by Saratoga springs. There is a spot to shoot out just south of that area by the lake, it's up against the mountain/hill there on the right.

But I don't know how far that would be for someone in W Jordan.
I have shot in that area quite a bit too. It should be a pretty straight shot from W. Jordan if you jump onto Redwood Rd. and head south, go through the point of the mountain area, and into West Lehi/Saratoga Springs. Keep on that road until you pass through the intersection where Smith's grocery store is (I believe it's the first light you come to once your in Utah County...but it's been a while since I went through that way). Head another 5 or 6 miles and your there.
econjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 17:56   #5
GixxerSixxer
Phil Deez Nutz

Get on Redwood Road and drive South until you're at about mile marker 23.

This is on the west side of Utah lake. You'll Camp Williams and Pelican Point on your way out there.

There are lots of trails you can take to get deeper into the hills to get away from people and do some long distance shooting.

There is also a gravel pit out near Grantsville.

It's up Little Mountain.
GixxerSixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 15:15   #6
reerc
Just a member

Any ideas for a little farther south here in the valley?

I used to shoot over on the West Mountain when I was a kid. Drove over and checked it out last fall, and it isn't what it used to be.

For one thing, there are houses where there didn't used to be. (Welcome to 30 years later, Mr. Van Winkle.) The other, was how much the roads had eroded in those 30 years. I was glad that the Jeep Liberty actually has a skid plate, although I know it isn't really an off-roader.

I shot the .22 a little, but never did pull out the G27; would have felt too self conscious making that much noise.

I think I could follow your directions above, but don't know if I want to drive that far north.

I guess there's west of Nephi, Little Sahara area ... probably run into a bunny or two as well.

Old 01-24-2007, 15:32   #7
sickboy013

Another good spot is out south of Tooele (kinda by some of the Army Depot land, but be sure to stick to the west side of the highway there), even as far south as Vernon. Good place to go shooting and to go bunny blasting!
sickboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 14:08   #8
wack86

Send a message via AIM to wack86
West Mountain is great to shoot at. I just drive up on top of the north saddle. Great views also.

Last edited by wack86; 01-26-2007 at 14:22..
wack86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 17:35   #9
thetoastmaster
NOT a sheepdog!

Send a message via ICQ to thetoastmaster Send a message via AIM to thetoastmaster
Just be sure to police your brass, shotgun hulls, clay pieces, targets, etc. It's pretty disgusting with trash out there. I can't lay a shooting mat for all of the broken glass.

Edited to correct typographical error.
And skill is more important than either,
The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

- John Steinbeck

2+2≠4!

Last edited by thetoastmaster; 01-28-2007 at 21:21..
thetoastmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 21:18   #10
wack86

Yeah, I hear ya. Not only do we take our brass and targets out, but we always try to pick up other people's left over trash. Last time I was up there, I picked up over 100 shotgun shells. It makes me upset that some people just leave all their trash lying around up there and ruin it for everybody else.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31   #11
reerc
Just a member

Quote:
Originally posted by wack86
West Mountain is great to shoot at. I just drive up on top of the north saddle. Great views also.
Unless there's a different road than the one I was on, I can't get to there from here without a "real" 4x4.

As previously stated, the Liberty isn't a serious off-roader, but I'm sure glad it at least has a skid plate, or i'd have had a punctured oil pan.

What road do you take?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57   #12
wack86

I drive straight up the side, but I have a lifted Landcruiser so it is no problem. I also have a stock Wrangler that I won't take over there. I think it may make it up, but you have to be extra careful on the rocky sections. Once you get up on top, it's not to bad.
Old 02-07-2007, 17:22   #13
Gibbles

I go by Utah lake all the time, just be careful of trails, lots of clay shooters like to shoot up the hill side.

the easy way to find the place is to get on redwood road and drive south for a while, as you start to see the lake you pass all the new houses being built and eventually you will see a log cabin looking thing off to the left, go past that and eventually you will see a hill side with lots of trails off to the right.
I like to go just past that area when there are lots of people, Last week I had a Sheriff pop in and ask me what I was shooting, ran my plate and went on his way, he was very polite.

I keep thinking about getting my friend and his dadís trailer and clean up some of the garbage people haul up there.

I found one decent jack rabbit hunting spot; I even managed to nail one with my Glock 21.
If anyone else has some good spots that they wonít mind sharing with me I would be grateful.
Gibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 14:58   #14
wthomas

I know a great place to hunt jack rabbits, but it's in the middle of nowhere. 22 miles from Nevada on hwy 30.
wthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 19:27   #15
Gibbles

That in the north west portion of utah?
I think My wifes family has a large plot of land up there, my friend and I were talking to them about taking some deer there this deer season.
Gibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 22:47   #16
wthomas

Yep, on the northwest side of the Great Salt Lake.
wthomas is offline   Reply With Quote