Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-14-2007, 16:33   #1
RM

Vista

A couple weeks back I got a new dual core lap top with Vista. It was kind of annoying that it was a little slower than my old Pentium M, both with 1 Gig of RAM. Well today I added another Gig of RAM, and it now is allot faster, I guess 1 Gig was not enough and the extra Gig was required to get it going properly. I don't have a way of quantifying it but, pages open allot faster, programs open faster, with the increased stability that Vista showed over my XP laptop this addition of RAM has finally made me happy with the lap top.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food and water, in the worst of conditions, day or night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. The True Believer doesn’t care how hard it is. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1600. He knows only his CAUSE.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 17:30   #2
Patrick Graham
Footlong Jr.

I haven't even looked at a Vista machine yet but it sure sounds like the PC manufacturers are doing the same thing that they do with new XP systems.. and that is load them down with worthless crap that runs as services at startup.

And, just like new XP systems I'll bet there is a way to shut down or remove 30% of that crap from the system resulting in a signifigant performance boost without any change in hardware and without any loss in system capability.
Old 02-16-2007, 19:07   #3
lens

Check to see if this will work in Vista.

In the "Run" box, type in "msconfig" (no quotes). Go thru the last two tabs one by one and disable those you KNOW aren't necessary, reboot and see what happens. You can always undo it, but this is a very effective way to cut down the auto-startup junk (memory hogs).
Old 02-16-2007, 19:25   #4
RM

There is no longer a "run" box in tool bar menu.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food and water, in the worst of conditions, day or night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. The True Believer doesn’t care how hard it is. He knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn’t go home at 1600. He knows only his CAUSE.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 23:52   #5
lens

Quote:
Originally posted by RM
There is no longer a "run" box in tool bar menu.
The function hasn't gone away, you just need to figure out where they hid it!

OK, you forced me to break out my laptop and look!

Just go to that bottom "search bar" and type in Msconfig. It brings up the System Configuration Utility. You want the Services and Startup tabs to disable unnecessary features/apps.
Old 02-17-2007, 00:45   #6
HAVOC
CLM Number 178
Remember

Send a message via MSN to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Like most OEM machines, the best bet is to baseline the whole thing. You never know WHAT crap the OEM splooged on there. Of course that's made difficult by the nasty habit of many OEMs NOT including a proper OS dick. That sucks. I assume Task Manager is still there. Find out how many processes are running.

You can't reason someone out of something
that they didn't reason themselves into.
HAVOC is offline   Reply With Quote